Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Best Flowing and Quietest Muff?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best Flowing and Quietest Muff?

I am going to have a 3" DP and I want to run it far enough back I dont stink of fumes, but I dont want or need a full cat-back....

My one requirement is that it is as quiet as possible but still flow great for the Turbo...So what single 3" in/out straight through muffler would everyone recommend?

I want the whole...by the time you hear the car its too late thing..
Old 05-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Launching!

dynatech splitflow
Old 05-04-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cause4panic
dynatech splitflow
Hmm Im not sure if I've ever heard one.... Pretty good overall sound and flow?
Old 05-04-2009, 03:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running a dynomax ultra flow race muffler. FWIW its kinda quiet for a 4" straight thru muffler.

If you really want the best quietest muffler I highly reccomend the Borla xr1 they are pretty expensive though, thats the only reason I dont have one.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not a spiral but the old SLP dual/ dual will give you the oh **** effect your looking for. great flowing, quiet and stainless.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem you're going to run into is the fact that theres just not much room for any type of real decently effective muffler under the car. Let me know what you decide to do, as my 3" DP is stepped up to a 4" at the firewall, thru a dynomax straight thru race muffler with a 3.5" turndown at the axle. Not too loud cruising below 2500 rpm, but the converter makes for a noisy acceleration even just around town and it gets old. I'd love something quieter but turned down makes it tougher.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
Hmm Im not sure if I've ever heard one.... Pretty good overall sound and flow?
Absolutely, they have a similar construction to the borla muffler. I had a glass pack on my car before and this thing beats it hand down. Quieter, smoother, etc etc straight through too
Old 05-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Teching In

I'm using stock C6 mufflers on my turbo 5.3. The tips look great sticking out back, and it sounds like a stock 4.3
Old 05-05-2009, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive messed with many mufflers and found this to be the quietest free flowing. Dynomax ultraflow oval. My exhaust is only like 4' long, 3 1/2" I also have a ultraflow bullet in front of it. Its super quiet.. listen in my vid in signature.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Everyone says that flowmasters are crap, well I had the 2 chamber thunder series and it was too dam loud on the hi-way, I decided to go with a flowmaster for an SUV, heck I decided if I loose a few horses so be it, well after installing the SUV muffler, it was very quiet but still a little throaty at WOT and on the Dyno, I still made 648 RWHP, Did not loose any horsepower at all....
Old 05-05-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Everyone says that flowmasters are crap, well I had the 2 chamber thunder series and it was too dam loud on the hi-way, I decided to go with a flowmaster for an SUV, heck I decided if I loose a few horses so be it, well after installing the SUV muffler, it was very quiet but still a little throaty at WOT and on the Dyno, I still made 648 RWHP, Did not loose any horsepower at all....

This is quite surprising to me... I've always heard people bash flowmaster as well.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

i have moroso spiral flows on my TSP duals, i know mine is not a turbo car, but they are space efficient and seem to flow pretty well (picked up 2 mph at the track with the LT's and duals over a stock open y-pipe, untuned still), and they are definitely one of the quietest true dual setups i have ever heard, but with a very smooth and deep tone
Old 05-06-2009, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 78novacaine
i have moroso spiral flows on my TSP duals, i know mine is not a turbo car, but they are space efficient and seem to flow pretty well (picked up 2 mph at the track with the LT's and duals over a stock open y-pipe, untuned still), and they are definitely one of the quietest true dual setups i have ever heard, but with a very smooth and deep tone
I just question the ability of the Spiral Flows flowing alot of air... by design it seems they would be quite obstructive...maybe Im wrong.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:05 AM
12 Second Club

I just question the ability of the Spiral Flows flowing alot of air... by design it seems they would be quite obstructive...maybe Im wrong.
well the fact that i picked up 2 mph with the duals and LTs speaks for itself. i was making 320 rwhp and 335 rwtq with stock mani's, stock y-pipe, and a neutered catback (open y) and was trapping 108 MPH with a 1.9x 60 ft on street tires. i am now trapping 110 mph consistently regardless of the 60' (ranged from 2.0x-2.2x) and that was in much warmer/ more humid air (and not hooking worth a damn, obviously), so according to what i hear, i picked up at least 20 rwhp, so 340 rwhp on a 12x,000 mile car with stock ls1 intake, stock TB, stock pulleys, and untuned seems to be a pretty damn good power level if you ask me

p.s. i was trapping 105 with the stock lid and stock catback w/ chokemaster weld-in (previous owners handywork ) so i picked up 5 mph with the LT/TD w/ moroso/lid only setup
Old 05-06-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

well the fact that i picked up 2 mph with the duals and LTs speaks for itself. i was making 320 rwhp and 335 rwtq with stock mani's, stock y-pipe, and a neutered catback (open y) and was trapping 108 MPH with a 1.9x 60 ft on street tires. i am now trapping 110 mph consistently regardless of the 60' (ranged from 2.0x-2.2x) and that was in much warmer/ more humid air (and not hooking worth a damn, obviously), so according to what i hear, i picked up at least 20 rwhp, so 340 rwhp on a 12x,000 mile car with stock ls1 intake, stock TB, stock pulleys, and untuned seems to be a pretty damn good power level if you ask me

p.s. i was trapping 105 with the stock lid and stock catback w/ chokemaster weld-in (previous owners handywork ) so i picked up 5 mph with the LT/TD w/ moroso/lid only setup
Im not saying they dont work... but I am sure ALOT of your gain was from the LTs and Duals in general... Since this will be on a turbo car I dont want any unwanted restriction....
Old 05-06-2009, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

Im not saying they dont work... but I am sure ALOT of your gain was from the LTs and Duals in general... Since this will be on a turbo car I dont want any unwanted restriction....
thats understandable, and i didnt mean to come off as defensive or anything, but i have heard several people question the ability of the moroso's to flow on par with some of the other mufflers of the same type, but i am trapping the same or higher trap speeds as guys with less miles, ls6 intakes, tunes, and with bullet mufflers on their dual setups, but then again, maybe my car is just one of those factory freaks, i know it did make pretty damn good numbers before the LT's for being a 2000 with 105,000 miles on it at the time, haha. just wanting to give you a thorough answer to help you out the best, i hate seeing people recommend something without having any reasoning
Old 05-06-2009, 11:08 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The splitflow works great, except they arent stainless and rust to crap pretty quick. I got sick of sweeping up chunks of rust from my garage and switched to a magnaflow, sounds the same and its stainless..
Old 05-06-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

thats understandable, and i didnt mean to come off as defensive or anything, but i have heard several people question the ability of the moroso's to flow on par with some of the other mufflers of the same type, but i am trapping the same or higher trap speeds as guys with less miles, ls6 intakes, tunes, and with bullet mufflers on their dual setups, but then again, maybe my car is just one of those factory freaks, i know it did make pretty damn good numbers before the LT's for being a 2000 with 105,000 miles on it at the time, haha. just wanting to give you a thorough answer to help you out the best, i hate seeing people recommend something without having any reasoning
I agree, and appreciate your input... I know they sound nice too and that's always a plus..
Old 05-06-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kp
The splitflow works great, except they arent stainless and rust to crap pretty quick. I got sick of sweeping up chunks of rust from my garage and switched to a magnaflow, sounds the same and its stainless..
Just your typical round case magnaflow muffler?
Old 05-06-2009, 03:36 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just your typical round case magnaflow muffler?
No, the oval, 5x8 or whatever it is, the round is a bit louder. You can beat the floor up a bit under the seat and get it to sit up higher. This is where it sits on my car.
Attached Thumbnails Best Flowing and Quietest Muff?-98.jpg  

Quick Reply: Best Flowing and Quietest Muff?