Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

air to water intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default air to water intercooler

who uses one i would like to hear some of the pro's and cons of this set up i really dont want to remove my plate cover for a air to air set up some of the kits i have looked at seem to be pretty salty but i know there great for track use and like the idea of adding ice water at the track i pretty much have all the peaces to my system and the intercooler is the main part im fighting with.

im going to wait till this fall to install the kit till i figure out a total plan of action untill then i will be going all motor and spraying the car.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you do any street driving, you'll heat soak that thing and it will be less efficient. Great at the track. Bad for weekend warriors. I prefer a good meth kit in addition to my A2A intercooler. It brings my IAT's below ambient.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

If you are worried about that, Put a 50 shot on there and it is cheaper than methanol injection and you will get the same benefit and maybe more power. You already have the nitrous kit so you dont have to buy that. I am running a g trim with a/w and a nitrous plate spraying a 100 shot and have never had a single problem.... Name:  coffee.gif
Views: 1087
Size:  4.7 KB
Old 05-06-2009, 10:14 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
if you do any street driving, you'll heat soak that thing and it will be less efficient. Great at the track. Bad for weekend warriors. I prefer a good meth kit in addition to my A2A intercooler. It brings my IAT's below ambient.
Try telling this to Mightmouse. There is such a thing called
a "heat exchanger" and they work very well. A A/W intercooler will out perform a A/A when it is properly setup. Daily driving or track duty.
Methanol is good for when you don't have a properly sized intercooler for your setup!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
a "heat exchanger" and they work very well. A A/W intercooler will out perform a A/A when it is properly setup. Daily driving or track duty.
Methanol is good for when you don't have a properly sized intercooler for your setup!
i dont even have a heat exchanger on mine and its fine, im sure a heat exchanger would help but even without it my iat's are good. i def vote for air to water
Old 05-07-2009, 06:26 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Originally Posted by crf538
i dont even have a heat exchanger on mine and its fine
I am sure you do have one. If you did not, your IATs would be in the 200s in no time.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

i run a2a on the street and have zero problems.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1290
I am sure you do have one. If you did not, your IATs would be in the 200s in no time.
Both of your signature links no longer work. Where in colorado are you from?
Old 05-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Launching!

are you honestly telling me about the car that i built, maybe this was a misunderstanding...i have an intercooler, but my system consists of a 2 gallon resiviour, a pump, and the intercooler...there is no heat exchanger to cool the water back down except the intercooler when im not in boost. it hasnt been a problem so far.

Last edited by crf538; 05-08-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:51 AM
10 Second Club

I just went back to air/water. We were base tuning the car before we had the water pump system done (dry intercooler). The IAT's would be 140 during an interstate cruise.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by topend
i run a2a on the street and have zero problems.
Me too. I can't see how an A2W wouldn't get progressively warmer over the course of the day and a few hot runs.

Jim
Old 05-11-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
if you do any street driving, you'll heat soak that thing and it will be less efficient.
this is incorrect; i not only do 'any' street driving, i do a ****-ton and it just does not happen.. at least not on a turbo car (shameless plug)

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
i actually stole the heat exchanger off my intercooler and hooked it to my transmission last season! I didnt want the heat exchanger WARMING UP my ice water while i was at the track (go figure huh?) also note that methanol is also good for fuel

this is incorrect. for example my 13 hour dive to memphis tn. from va had me arrive with roughly ambient water in my intercooler. you only need to remove heat as fast as you are adding it.. and when just cruising with a giant aluminum box hanging from the car in the breeze, it gets the job done

Originally Posted by 2001WS6Vert
I just went back to air/water. We were base tuning the car before we had the water pump system done (dry intercooler). The IAT's would be 140 during an interstate cruise.
def. should have had water in it, it works much better that way

Originally Posted by DeltaT
Me too. I can't see how an A2W wouldn't get progressively warmer over the course of the day and a few hot runs.

Jim
i can do a single 3 gear pull, or a few individual gear pulls on the road before the iat's go up (just ambient water and spraying meth) by that time normally whoever was trying to race me has gotten the idea.

thats just how it is.. in fact during the winter, i remove my pump, tank, and lines from the system completely in about 10 minutes because it is just totally unnecessary

vid of tank running
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/i...ank_186951.htm
Old 05-12-2009, 05:41 AM
10 Second Club

i followed MM's lead.
ride is a DD and i see nothing over ambient, even after sitting in traffic during the daily 90min ride home from work. (but i do have a pusher fan on the heat exchanger)
6gal tank

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...t=100_1354.flv
Old 05-12-2009, 06:39 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE

def. should have had water in it, it works much better that way
I was just throwing that out for reference. Didn't lay into it and most regular cars go well into the 100+ IAT's during regular driving, doesn't hurt anything. I will say this though air/water systems definitely can get overwhelmed after a few blast (i.e. SCCA, roadracing, playing cat & mouse). I don't think you could build one that could cool the water back down quickly enough. So if you have made several blast in a row you had better be aware that you might be into the danger zone. If you like to be able to go WOT over and over with no worries air/air would be what you want. I like air/water on my car because I have less pressure drop + my car runs like it's a cool day during the heat of summer (iced down) + it gives me something to do at the track between runs and looks more trick. I'll post some pics of my setup when I'm running again (doing 4L80e changeover). It has a 5 gal. tank in the trunk + a 12 x 24" heat exchanger with dual fans up front that you see through the front plate like the FMIC guys.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE

i can do a single 3 gear pull, or a few individual gear pulls on the road before the iat's go up (just ambient water and spraying meth) by that time normally whoever was trying to race me has gotten the idea.

thats just how it is.. in fact during the winter, i remove my pump, tank, and lines from the system completely in about 10 minutes because it is just totally unnecessary

vid of tank running
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/i...ank_186951.htm
So, you're saying you ran the A/W IC dry in winter and yet it's still doing good! What temp and what boost?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Launching!

if i remember right mightymouse leaves the intercooler full of water and caps off the lines going to it, so there still is water in the intercooler, its just not circulating.
seeing that is why i didnt put a heat exchanger on mine
Old 05-12-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

in the winter i fill it up with antifreeze and cap off.. yep

dang nice tank, glow in the dark too?

a/w is totally the wrong intercoler if you are making laps i agree, i am saying that a continuous beating does not happen on any outings for me.. its here or there type of thing
Old 05-12-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

what kind of core size is recommended?
Old 05-18-2009, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

were can I get one of those 5 gallon resivors that works with a/w aftercoolers?
Old 06-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Teching In

any more info to add to this thread?

I am curious of cruising IAT's with a decent size exhanger, and also what kind of iat's do ya'll see with ice?

And to the posters that do street driving, how does it do for say going out on a saturday night, crusing around and occasionally getting on it, assuming you'd put a 7-10lb bag of ice in the resouvour before hand and are running a exhanger. I'm just curious to see how fast the water heats up from consistant driving if you start off with really cold water.

Quick Reply: air to water intercooler