Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why a broken ring land @ 10psi with mahle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I hope I have better luck with these pistons; there goin in my motor pretty soon.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:21 PM
7 Second Club

Received 302 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
I was under the impression that if the mass air meter go's out that it would just start dumping fuel into the motor per say to keep the motor from hurting itself??
No, it goes into speed density.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
Failing MAF's can do many things.

They could over read...under read, or just fail completely.

Oviously if they under-read the amount of air....that could be fatal.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:13 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD

Most of the MAF codes I've seen dump the car into SD mode. The VE table (for speed density) is usually left alone when you get a MAF based tune. While in SD mode, the car may have fuel trimmed its way back into running decent at part throttle, but it is like Ray Charles at a gun range under WOT.

Originally Posted by stevieturbo

Under, or fail (revert to SD) could have caused this. That's a 2/3 chance lol.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:29 PM
7 Second Club

Received 302 Likes on 202 Posts

Doesn't matter how it failed, the fact that it threw a code means it went into speed density and that's what will always happen with a MAF code.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lean would burn a hole not lift a ringland, i thought...
Old 05-15-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

Looks like a fatigue/weakness break unless you think its real real rich and exploding fuel in the ring land.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:41 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

...Ive used Mahle pistons to around 20psi on a previous 346. They make excellent pistons.
Yes, but WHICH Mahles were you using? The flat tops or the dished ones? I ran the flat tops (-4cc valve reliefs) with 16psi and had no problems with them, but the ringlands on the dished Mahles suck ***** apparently from every experienced source ive heard from...
Old 05-15-2009, 07:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Mine had a small dish.

Detonation will break any piston though, as Ive proven with a few types lol....Ironicaly...the Mahles I used are still perfect.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:52 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by daniel6718
lean would burn a hole not lift a ringland, i thought...
The extra heat from the lean condition can cause detonation. If the ringlands had held up longer he may have ended up with a hole.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:43 AM
On The Tree

Just do yourself a favor on the next build and get a wb o2 then you will have peace of mind about your tune and any ses light that may come on......I know lesson learned the hard way. Sorry about your luck
Old 05-17-2009, 01:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GrahamHill
Looks like a fatigue/weakness break unless you think its real real rich and exploding fuel in the ring land.
I'm ready to believe this theory of over rich condition exploding the ring land away. Anyone want to buy new set of -25cc dished 4.02 mahles..? Thinking of ordering wisecos.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:34 AM
12 Second Club

MAFs can go faulty, yet not throw fault codes.

Ive used Mahle pistons to around 20psi on a previous 346. They make excellent pistons.
Mine had a small dish.

Detonation will break any piston though, as Ive proven with a few types lol....Ironicaly...the Mahles I used are still perfect.

there are quite a few documented failures of Mahles...with no detonation...just a structural failure of the ringland. there are far better pistons out there IMO.

Chad
Old 05-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
there are quite a few documented failures of Mahles...with no detonation...just a structural failure of the ringland. there are far better pistons out there IMO.

Chad
I agree 100%. What my new engine builder told me was they have the wrong silicon content for anything above 10lbs of boost. My motor was on a break in tune and a piston ring land fell apart. Rebuilt the engine used the same brake in tune and no problems with the new engine.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

I thought (cast) hypereutectics were the only ones with silicon content?
Old 05-17-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

How rich would it have to be to lift a ring land ?
Old 05-17-2009, 07:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like a piston problem more than a tuning problem.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GrahamHill
I thought (cast) hypereutectics were the only ones with silicon content?
This is what my builder sent me after my mahle piston when bad. I had 14lbs of boost. Engine had about 1000 miles on it.

Damage - piston last the top ring land - material in the pistons used was Alloy 4032 - the pressure of the boost simply broke the piston - here's an description of 4032 and 2618 alloys...

"there are two common alloys used in forged pistons, 4032 and 2618. Silicon-aluminum alloys, such as 4032, have great wear characteristics because the silicon particulate hardens the alloy and reduces the thermal coefficient of expansion. However, silicon-aluminum alloys can turn brittle and become prone to fracturing when subjected to extreme stress. With a piston made of a silicon alloy once a crack starts, it doesn't stop until the piston suffers a catastrophic failure. Low- or no-silicon alloys, such as 2618, may wear a bit faster but provide better strength and durability. In the rare case of a crack in a 2618 piston, the crack will migrate to an area of lower stress and stop. 2618-alloy pistons keep their shape under extreme pressures and high RPM's."
Old 05-21-2009, 12:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds to me like an improper piston for the application. Can't blame the manufacturer for that. 4032 has about 15% less tensile strength than 2618 and is not recommended for boosted applications.

ps - mahles are forged 4032 (~12% silicon content). unless you're talking about the lsx376/454 engines that gmpp came out with (which use forged 4032s), the stock pistons are cast hypereutectics (increased si content and therefore more brittle). to even think the two are comparable in strength is asinine.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hissin'98
Its been absolutely perfect running for approximately 10k and haven't changed a thing. The whole scenario here is that I made a drive of around 50 miles coming home on the freeway normal cruising when the SES light lit. I automatically assumed it was the MAF sensor circuit as with a previous case so when I got home, it was removed and cleaned. The next drive the light turned itself off and ran just normal. Then the next time, the light came on with the ignition turned on and started. It remained on for following start ups throughout that afternoon. On my way home, I hopped on it in second gear gettin on the freeway, shifted to third then eased out when I reached speed. I shortly noticed a slight vib then soon realized it dropped a cylinder, got home and parked it a few miles down the road. I pulled plugs on the drivers as the expected misfire side and they all looked perfect till no. 7 which was broken and battered. Pulled the head off and my assumptions were realized. But why would this happen on only 10psi boost and a very good dyno tune? The engine was fully built by a very reputable builder and tuner. I have yet to contact them because it's nothing to do with the builder but will probably be ordering parts through them.
Set-up:
Stock bore, stroke, block
Mahle 9:1 forged, callies rods
ETP heads, comp cam
STS @ 10psi
Dyno tuned by builder

I have been told on the LS motors, #7 cylinder is the problem cylinder. I had my wideband installed on the drivers side to keep a closer watch on a/f from that bank. The garage where I get my work done got a Cadillac cts w/ the LS motor come in and after tearing down the heads, #7 cylinder was wobbling in the block.

Quick Reply: Why a broken ring land @ 10psi with mahle?