Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Crank brace do I need one...........

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 03:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crank brace do I need one...........

Upgrading from a V1 S trim to V1 T trim, at the moment the S trim is run of the power steering pulley with a short, 30mm wide, 8mm pitch toothed belt. When I fit the T trim, will run it directly of the crank shaft pulley, with a 50mm wide toothed belt.
What I want to know is, everone over here that runs more then 600 hp. recommends that you use a crank brace.(Reason being that at high belt load, the belt will climb up the pulley teeth , over tighten & eventually destroy number 1 main bearing) Are they used on your side of the world or are they just used here, haven’t come across any mention of them in the forum.
Or would I be better of using a microgroove belt say of 15 to 20 grooves wide, & expect some slippage. Hoping to use 15psi plus boost.

If you don’t know what I mean by Crank Brace check this out.http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...4fp110-010.gif

Vehicle is a LS1 powered Holden Ute to be used 80% of the time on the Strip
Hope some of you Blower Experts can help me out
Old 11-04-2003, 12:39 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are a few people here that have over 600 hp and i beleive none of them have a crank brace.

now pardon my dumbness, but if the belt just skipped a tooth why worry about it , all its doing is some thing like slipping a belt. all it would do load up one side of the bely then unload it be having the blower spin a tad more ( or less) depending on where the tooth skip happened.
i don't see why it would ruin the main bearing.

i can see how that brace would hep people running insane amounts of tension on the belt to get to stop spinning off the pulleys.

where does the other end of the brace attatch to?
Old 11-04-2003, 12:48 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,174 Likes on 763 Posts

Is that the Renegade Mustang style brace that goes from the crank to the blower?

Sounds like you are running cogs, you could add a brace if you plan to run extreme belt tension... We don't because we F-Body guys don't have enough room to run a brace because of our fan setups.

Quick Reply: Crank brace do I need one...........