Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How Much Rwhp Can Stock Ls1 Hold Safely?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 08:52 AM
Launching!

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, Joe's (Stenod) engine is 100% stock from the throttle body to the oil pan. Actual numbers were 573rwhp and 612 rwtq on turbo blue fuel and 11psi. We have several turbocharged LS1's with stock short blocks and either CNC'd low compression heads or stock 6.0L heads making about 480-500rwhp on 93 octane as well.

The Incon kits actually CAN do fine for road racing. You just need to have a good cooling system and decent airflow control across the radiator and intercoolers. I ran an Incon kit on my road raced mustang for over a year and have since switched to a larger Turbo Tech single with more power that I've been road racing for several years since. You just can't get greedy with the tune.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rod442
Yes, the car is a 6 speed.

I dont know if you'll have quite that much hp at 7 psi. dynojet probably close though. I dynoed a year ago on a dynojet at 7 psi and made 477/500 tq, with a FAT a/f. 11.0:1, but stock timing.

Maybe an 02 with the better intake than I had at the time, and a slightly better cam would have made over 500 hp. BUT probably not 600 tq, at least on a Incon car. Some of the single kits (which is probably what you'd have); have dynoed in that range. BUT I haven't seen any track numbers to support some of the huge TQ numbers some have posted.

As far as Road racing, I would say definately not. At least not for long. Big difference between it living for <12 seconds at a time, and what? 20-30 mins?

It was always said when people were discussing these kits that for roadracing, you would definately want a forged crank, better pistons and rods etc.

ya, i was not plaining on running that kind of power for daily driving. i was thinking about running 5psi. probably around

Anyone else want to chime in here?

And holding that much power on the street, with 17" nitto drags I can roast them through 2nd from a roll, and a bit into 3rd. On colder pavement lately, 3rd and 4th over 1/2 throttle have been risky . BUT the car tracks straight and keeps forward momentum, so its easily handled. I do however have a TQ arm (made the most difference I think), relocated rear LCA's, slp PHB, qa1's, STB, and subframes.

i was not plaining on running all that power for daily driving. i was going to run about 5psi at about 450-475rwhpand 550rwtq. im pretty sure that this will still be impossible to hold on the road. do you think running at 5-6psi will hurt the engine? what is it that hurts the engine? is it the actual hp or the a/f ratio or what? if everything are at safe numbers does it matter if you make lets say 800rwhp? just curious about this.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

This is why I was asking about traction issues with 600+rwhp...this is 610rwhp in a 6-speed car with stiff suspension from a highway roll..spun through like the top of 4th..

http://www.fastblackcar.com/media/ca...edvsmusser.mpg

http://www.fastblackcar.com/media/ca...dvsmusser2.mpg

You can see how fast he reels in Jordon's car once he hooks
Old 11-09-2003, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JasonZ28
This is why I was asking about traction issues with 600+rwhp...this is 610rwhp in a 6-speed car with stiff suspension from a highway roll..spun through like the top of 4th..

http://www.fastblackcar.com/media/ca...edvsmusser.mpg

http://www.fastblackcar.com/media/ca...dvsmusser2.mpg

You can see how fast he reels in Jordon's car once he hooks

Quick Reply: How Much Rwhp Can Stock Ls1 Hold Safely?