Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

killed one more APS turbo any ideas and who has a exrta one ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009 | 05:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hm so what did you find on the passenger side. Oil coming out of it ?
I guess would just go to different ones . Also maybe a scavenger pump is good idea.

They are cheap really you might want to try one out .
I have my own car nightmare Tom. I am trying to fix cam sensor problem.
So far its kicking my ***.I can't run my new injectors as they can't run without cam sensor it messes with the pulsewidths. Trying to trace problem and today pulled intake cause stupid ls1 and 6.0 that I have has cam sensor on back of engine inaccessible without pulling intake off.
So now can't seem to figure out problem pretty much intermittent wish it would stay constant. I am starting to think maybe cam is loose didn't tigthen something or dud reluctor on cam maybe even dud ecu.
Anyway that is my problems.I am starting to think sell my 99 and buy a c6 and leave it stock. I will guess try a bit longer on my 99 course now all paranoid if do get it running that the turbos will give me grief. Have those ebay centers to install but was hoping to just drop in center carts easily so sounds like member has to come down anyway that sucks.

I have gone so far on my car too and it was close to being fiinished can't believe all these problems .Our season is short too from april 1 till about end october. And already two months almost gone.
Old 05-24-2009 | 07:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the c6 is starting to sound good at this piont as well

just put those other centers in forget about this APS junk ones
Old 05-25-2009 | 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Louis
The orifice is .130" in diameter, that is plenty of flow for the turbo with our oiling systems

How is your car coming along? What turbos did you end up going with?b
Car should be running this week, as long as I get my new starter. Had to get the MSD starter to fit it in there. After cutting the K member and putting that in, All I really have to do is install the new BOVs, Install DS with new u joint, some how make a driverside inlet tube,( Need help with that). And thats about it. I'll post up after its running and dyno numbers.
Old 05-25-2009 | 04:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Louis
I put them on a case by case basis, so far out of almost a dozen, all but 2 needed a scavenge pump...
so louis, got any pictures for info on these pumps?

and if 5 out of 6 need them then most of us probly need them
Old 05-25-2009 | 11:57 PM
9 Second Club

hey guys my WG started working no boost creep

thanks louis for the tip
Old 05-26-2009 | 08:27 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Hugger z has lots of miles on his aps build with those same oil lines. Think he has not had any problems.? Hugger you out there guy?
And think there are other builds with no scavenger pump and think no problems. So don't think its oil restriction in banjo killing it.
I wouldn't think it would hurt to drill it out no bb can take much more oil thru them than BB turbos. I had to buy restrictor according to Forced performance for my 97 talon garett bb turbo.

Keep us posted on the billet ones Big Bird .Its nice to have options.
Yeah I have around 17k on my kit now. The car has been down for 2 weeks for some interior work. But it has been driving fine. I am starting to see some oil around the turbo center sections. But no major smoking while driving. I am keeping an eye on it though.

Originally Posted by tomz28
hey guys my WG started working no boost creep

thanks louis for the tip
Glad to hear you got it working man. I must have gotten lucky with my stuff.
Old 05-26-2009 | 11:26 PM
9 Second Club

^^^^^^^^ thats how it starts youll see on the v-band and its all down hill keep a good eye on it

you might need to have someone drive behind you to whatch the car for smoke
Old 05-27-2009 | 12:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Most turbo cars smoke a bit but its usually black from rich but a bit of oil think is normal .
Tom I think would put a scavenger pump on your car and maybe do mine too soon.I can email you a nice looking pump tommorrow have to find it again.
They are like couple hundred bucks not expensive compared to what we have already spent.
I think will run one just because, Louis did say they were needed on most .Some tricks might be to run a bit less than full oil. Some guys may have put their drains a bit low down. Some might have forgot to put remove the shipping plugs on the oil returns. Some might not have enough crankcase ventilation.
Just want to make sure it is the turbos not other things. As said almost every time oil coming out the back of the car or even out inlets or outlets in turbos is not the turbo its something else. Now if they are screeching from hitting the sides of the housings well that is different. Or not boosting up. Had a few variations on my talon turbos but had shot turbos that didn't blow much if any oil out. Had oil come out like crazy on my talons but every time it wasn't the turbo. Fixed problem and no more oil.

Scavenger is likely a good idea anyway. Overfilling is for sure likely to make oil come thru. Underfilling a bit might be good strategy. Have to see how mine do.So far on stock aps turbos. Running no water cooling either.
Old 05-27-2009 | 07:55 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tomz28
^^^^^^^^ thats how it starts youll see on the v-band and its all down hill keep a good eye on it

you might need to have someone drive behind you to whatch the car for smoke
Oh really? Well in that case both v-bands have oil residue on them. I checked them this spring and both were loose so I tightened them down a bit. But have not seen smoke during normal driving or spirited acceleration in traffic. I will be sure to watch closely though. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2009 | 08:05 AM
TECH Veteran

I don't think so Hugger. Tighten up the vbands but if you are not getting oil in big amounts in the intake tract, air inlets or out the exhaust in big amounts you have nothing to worry about.Its normal to see some smoke out the back from the rich afrs but of course thats black smoke.A litte bit of oil smoke at full throttle wouldn't be super worried about. But a lot then would be checking things out. You are think the highest mileage aps car with no work done.
Would like to hear from some other high mileage aps guys with same turbos the vette and gto guys.
I think not pushing the turbos is maybe a key to it. Think Louis said that. I am likely going to leave mine at 7.5 to maybe 10psi and not try to max them out at 17 or whatever. Next year likely just upgrade to Louis snails.

I may be adding a scavenger pump to my setup would post links but not sure its allowed. They are cheap enough few hundred bucks.
Here is link guess mods can delete it if they dont' like it..

http://www.scavengepump.com/index.shtml
Also have you done your inlets yet Hugger? I will be stenting mine very shortly.
Having them close up under boost is not a good thing.That can make oil come thru .
Old 05-27-2009 | 08:09 AM
12 Second Club

I don't think so Hugger. Tighten up the vbands but if you are not getting oil in big amounts in the intake tract, air inlets or out the exhaust in big amounts you have nothing to worry about.Its normal to see some smoke out the back from the rich afrs but of course thats black smoke.A litte bit of oil smoke at full throttle wouldn't be super worried about. But a lot then would be checking things out. You are think the highest mileage aps car with no work done.
Would like to hear from some other high mileage aps guys with same turbos the vette and gto guys.
I think not pushing the turbos is maybe a key to it. Think Louis said that. I am likely going to leave mine at 7.5 to maybe 10psi and not try to max them out at 17 or whatever. Next year likely just upgrade to Louis snails.

I may be adding a scavenger pump to my setup would post links but not sure its allowed. They are cheap enough few hundred bucks.
Here is link guess mods can delete it if they dont' like it..

http://www.scavengepump.com/index.shtml
Also have you done your inlets yet Hugger? I will be stenting mine very shortly.
Having them close up under boost is not a good thing.That can make oil come thru .
Yup, tightened the v-bands. And I agree, maybe I am lucky not pushing the turbo's beyond the 7psi.

I have not touched the inlets as I am only running stock boost. No issues that I am aware of. The car doesn't seem to choke or anything when I am in boost. So not too worried about that for now.
Old 05-27-2009 | 08:21 AM
TECH Veteran

I think the inlets get worse as they get heat cycles on them. And its easy to stent them will take some pics probably.
Are you running stock sway bar or no sway bar now hugger?
Old 05-28-2009 | 10:07 AM
12 Second Club

I think the inlets get worse as they get heat cycles on them. And its easy to stent them will take some pics probably.
Are you running stock sway bar or no sway bar now hugger?
Stock sway bar is on the car. I have brackets on the way to space it down as my charge tubes are dented. And I have the shorter sway bar endlinks on the workbench to go on the car with my lowering springs. Just need the new struts now. Until then it shall stay at stock height.
Old 05-29-2009 | 10:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Hugger Z
Stock sway bar is on the car. I have brackets on the way to space it down as my charge tubes are dented. And I have the shorter sway bar endlinks on the workbench to go on the car with my lowering springs. Just need the new struts now. Until then it shall stay at stock height.
Can you post a pic of your end links, and what bracket spacer did you get?
Old 05-29-2009 | 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KWIKKAR
Can you post a pic of your end links, and what bracket spacer did you get?
End links are the Energy Suspension ones (9.8125). I got them at Autozone. Spacers are aluminum plates and longer bolts I got from Alvin@tick. He had an extra set leftover after making them for Keliente's car. I don't have a pic of them yet but will be sure to get one later. I need new struts before I can lower the car anyway. Might do the spacers and endlinks one weekend if I feel like it.
Old 06-22-2009 | 05:02 AM
Staging Lane

Im kind of bothered that peter didnt even chime in on this one at all. i was serously considering buying the new aps kit, until i found out all these problems. Hope you get your kit running good, from the sounds of it, you wont be getting any manufacturer help
Old 06-22-2009 | 01:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really, you dont need manufacturer help unless you have a major issue like a manifold failure, or a custom turbine housing failure. Other than that, poor turbo choice is the only issue with the kit on this setup. Everything else is fine.

The C6/C6Z kits are fantastic, but are F car owners REALLY going to pay the extra (3-4k) for a true garrett ball bearing setup? Thats almost 2x the kit price! Sure, SOME would gladly pay, but the majority? Probably not.

For what it is, stock power levels, on the wastegates, it would last a long time. AS soon as you crank it up, its game over. 600-650 rwhp, the turbos cant keep up and stay alive. Sure, they will support 750-850, but the little turbo is spinning its *** off!! She cant handle it for long!
Old 06-22-2009 | 09:43 PM
9 Second Club

he just saying get a stock z06 no crazy **** lol
Old 06-23-2009 | 12:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog...oducts_id=2157

Here you go... Finally pics and info

Quick Reply: killed one more APS turbo any ideas and who has a exrta one ?