Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Adding ARP rod bolts to a stock LS1 to add strength for boost.... is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 01:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Adding ARP rod bolts to a stock LS1 to add strength for boost.... is it worth it?

I seem to hear a lot of talk about adding ARPs to the stock bottom end if the car is boosted.... is it worth it?

Reason Im asking is Im going to be adding a BMR K member to my car very soon and the thought crossed my mind to pull the pan and add ARPs while Im doing the swap.

Good idea or?

Thanks.....
Old 05-22-2009, 02:52 AM
TECH Resident

ARP rod bolts are an added insurance specially if you're going to spin the motor.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems the ringlands go before anything, but it is some added insurance. What year is your motor? The earlier ones have the more qustionable rod bolts.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:38 AM
Launching!

seems to me that the only way a rod bot can break is under tension, and the only time its under tension is when its yanking the piston down on the intake stroke. so breaking rod bolts should be a function of rpm not power or boost. if anything boost should help at a given rpm. I know my buddies stock shortblock had three rods break (compressive load) and evey rod bolt looked fine.
they also say that changing the torque can deform the journal and wipe the rod bearings if you dont get the rods checked, but it seems a lot of people do it and it works out fine. if your going to spin it higher than the stock rev limit i would consider it, if not id leave it as is...$.02 haha
Old 05-22-2009, 01:35 PM
12 Second Club

The motor is a 02 with only 50k on it.....

The more I read about this the more I see pistons letting go before anything else. So I guess since Im still on stock internals Ill leave the rod bolts alone.

Thanks guys.