Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

sts turbo need your input!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default sts turbo need your input!!!!!!!

I was thinking about purchasing a sts turbo kit for my 02 ss, I know a lot of guys have tried them, what do you like and dislike about this kit? I saw a few videos and really liked the way they sounded...
Old 05-22-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey i have an sts on my car, i got a good deal from a friend. it works out good for me. i havent had any problems really, i had an exhaust leak so i wasnt making good boost last year. i also had headers and a 3" y pipe and right now im putting stock manifolds and a 2.5" so i think its gonna work great after this.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get one definately get an intercooler and gt67 upgrade min.You'll need bigger injectors too and I also installed a walbro 255 fuel pump. I found their customer service is probably the worst that I've ever had to deal with. The oil filler cap is a pos. I drilled and tapped the valve cover and stuck the return line there. I have a 6spd car and it doesn't spool till 3000 rpm,and there is a bit of pause after shifts if I don't flat shift it. I set up my tune and rev limiter so I don't let off the throttle when racing.This helped tons. If you are running slicks you can run a 2 step so the turbo spools before you launch it. They cheap out and don't give you a dump tube for the wastegate. And no muffler. It is pretty annoying added a muffler to mine but it looks ugly and I am going to redo it. All and all it is an ok kit but if I was to do it again I would do and N/A set up. I don't like the lag but It would be good as an automatic. I also modified the wiring to the oil return pump. It is just tapped into the hot wire set up for my fuel pump and runs on high speed all the time.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

I seen a couple, hang too low for me. I don't like the fact that you can see them from the back of the car, or that they are accessible from the outside.

The heat of the exhaust is one thing that helps seal the turbo. When the heat is applied through the turbo, the clearances get closer and therefore the turbo performs better. When STS put the turbo in the back its not subject to the heat and therefore the clearances are just as if the turbo was cold. Plus, if this is a DD, what about rain? Splashback? The turbo does get some heat to it and what happens when you dump cold water on hot cast? It cracks. And, think about what if your filter gets wet, sucks water into the turbine thats spinning about 20K rpms? Water to turbine blades spinning that fast is like throwing sand into the turbine, not good. Another thing to consider is what if that oil pump fails? your engine will still be pumping oil to the turbo with no way to return to the oil pan. then guess what, you're spinning bearings because of lack of oil in your engine!

I would keep looking for something that is closer to the engine and naturally drains to the oil pan. There are tons of LS1 kits available that may cost more, but I tell you one rebuild of your engine because of a stupid pump failure will cost way more then the extra 1-2K spend on an underhood intercooled system.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

WOW! I didnt know any of this....I guess I will keep looking for something else, I have a 6 spd and I really dont want to deal with those problems....I know when going turbo everyone goes through something but I drive my car everywhere and I never thought that rain would be an issue....I have borla exhaust with a cut out and love the way it sounds....Do you loose your exhaust with sts kit?
Old 05-22-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ToBiN!
I seen a couple, hang too low for me. I don't like the fact that you can see them from the back of the car, or that they are accessible from the outside.

The heat of the exhaust is one thing that helps seal the turbo. When the heat is applied through the turbo, the clearances get closer and therefore the turbo performs better. When STS put the turbo in the back its not subject to the heat and therefore the clearances are just as if the turbo was cold. Plus, if this is a DD, what about rain? Splashback? The turbo does get some heat to it and what happens when you dump cold water on hot cast? It cracks. And, think about what if your filter gets wet, sucks water into the turbine thats spinning about 20K rpms? Water to turbine blades spinning that fast is like throwing sand into the turbine, not good. Another thing to consider is what if that oil pump fails? your engine will still be pumping oil to the turbo with no way to return to the oil pan. then guess what, you're spinning bearings because of lack of oil in your engine!

I would keep looking for something that is closer to the engine and naturally drains to the oil pan. There are tons of LS1 kits available that may cost more, but I tell you one rebuild of your engine because of a stupid pump failure will cost way more then the extra 1-2K spend on an underhood intercooled system.
It has been proven to work just fine in the rain. If the pump fails there is an audible warning to let you know. They work great. Are they the best kit around? No, but the one I had far exceeded my expectations.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

I bought a used kit cheap. One of the old versions and I'm am not pleased with the fit and finish. The clearances between the pipes and the car are adjusted by cocking some of the pipes in the rubber hose connectors. For all the work to get it nice I think I should have gone with a front mount. I'm still not done with it. I put the oil return to a threaded bung in the oil pan. Intercooler and a muffler after the turbo, upgrade oil lines and pump.

Still need to fab up a snorkel for the air filter like the newer sts kit, but my emissions evap canister is in the way. I'm going to put in stock exhaust tips with the wastegate going to the drivers side tip. Maybe even cut up a muffler to make a shield to hide the setup from behind.

I could have slapped it together in a week or two but I like to do things nicely so I don't have to worry about problems later.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by solo21
WOW! I didnt know any of this....I guess I will keep looking for something else, I have a 6 spd and I really dont want to deal with those problems....I know when going turbo everyone goes through something but I drive my car everywhere and I never thought that rain would be an issue....I have borla exhaust with a cut out and love the way it sounds....Do you loose your exhaust with sts kit?
Yes you will lose the borla unless you fab some piping to make it work but it will be very tight.

Everyone has their own opinions of STS of course but with and kit you'll have some type of issues to address. But with the amt. of experience we STS guys have now and the amt. of pointers we have to do it right the first time it makes it easier on newbies(no offense)to STS/rear mount.

I'm running the gt67 with fmic with typical upgrades to fuel and tune and love it. I thought about the water issue to and live in florida and see a decent amt. of rain and have never had a problem! The kit comes with a filter sock that can be easily installed when it does rain a decent amt.

The only issue Uve had out of the kit at all is my connection to the top of the remote oil pump came loose(due to my own neglegence) and sounded the low oil psi buzzer and flooded the turbo with oil. Which I tore apart the turbo and cleaned. As far as oil related issues if the pump does fail you will know it does because of the oil psi buzzer so I dont think that you'll hurt an engine due to this with this style set up.

In the end run a search on rear mounts/STS and you'll find alot of good info and opinions.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Regular

Check out this thread of the new STS turbo system.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...bo-system.html
Old 05-23-2009, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

They sound really nice thats for sure! I was looking at the sts site and the kits look impressive. I tried to call but could never get a hold of anyone....I saw the twin turbo setup they did on the vette, It looks awesome....anyone know if its available for the f-bodys?
Old 05-23-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Well I carry a love hate feeling towards sts. I have a rearmount that started out as a sts then I wanted more power and went custom rearmount. But in the rain I have no issues unless you go in to a huge puddle then your fk. Lag is there but once you drive the car hit it a couple of times lag goes away. For example, I get full boost around 3.8k just letting the car warm up and driveing for a bit, Now when I hit it again I get full boost by 3k. Is a rearmount the best hell no but is it fun hell yes. As far as the return pump my original pump lasted 3 years then died slowly. I have a mocal pump now and love it. There are a number of ways to go boosted sts IMHO is the easy way front mounts can be a little tricky but they work oh and a supercharger is also really easy. I have driven my car to and from GA like 4 times none of my pipes rubb oh and Im lowerd also can I go over a 3 foot speed bump no but I can drive cross country no problem. Since I do alot of driving in my car I carry a spare scavenger pump. all things fail I just want to be ready.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

I really appreciate everyone's input it, this info will definitely help me decide on a kit....Thanks guys!!

Quick Reply: sts turbo need your input!!!!!!!