Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

CFM of Intercooler large enough to support 600-650 rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 03:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CFM of Intercooler large enough to support 600-650 rwhp

I just got home from the SEMA show (tuesday/wed) and there were several turbo/intercooler companies that will take care of me pretty good on pricing for an custom intercooler to build my homemade twin turbo ls1 project from.

What i need to know is, is there a calculation to figure sizing you need?? like every sq. inch is good for X number of HP?

Or is it cfm flow ??? One of the shops www.yonaka.com (look at thier large intercooler) reps said that intercooler would flow enough for what i need.

It says "900CFM, good for over 650 hp". Is this large enough for what i need? I can get it for $200 as a at cost deal.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It also depends on the core type(bar/plate vs. tube/fin), makeup, etc. I am running a 29x7x3.5" core from spearco that flows 1513 CFM @ 1.47" pressure drop, which should be more than enough for 600-650rwhp (alot more) - which means you will just have a lower pressure drop across the intercooler.

I would talk to the core manufacturers and ask them what the core will flow and at what pressure drop.

Quick Reply: CFM of Intercooler large enough to support 600-650 rwhp