Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need advice on rockers for my built 35th APS

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on rockers for my built 35th APS

Hey guys,im gonna take my Scorpion rockers off !First,because they seem alittle loud for me and 2nd i really dont trust em after reading up on them lately LOL I was thinking of going with a LS1/LS7 OEM set of Harlen Sharps that from what ive heard,, HS takes a stock LS1 or LS7 OEM rocker and puts in there bearing in them ? Im running Crower turbo cam with Ls6 heads and the cam is a(I)217 (E)226Lift @(I).553 (E).575 ,lobe center 114 and was wondering if i should put HS 1.7 rockers on or the LS7 HS 1.8 rockers on ?and why ? Ride is mostly street driven !Weekend only!
Old 05-27-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default ??

Nobody!???
Old 05-27-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think my yella terra ultalights are fine and good quality. I went 1.8 as lingenfelter said it was fine with the gt7 some cames don't recommend 1.8.If did it again would have just went with 1.7 for less lift . Easier on springs. And really the turbos make the power the cam is secondary. My car is already stupid fast for the street at minimum boost that comes with my kit. And always have the spray on top in reserve.

I say go with 1.7 yella terras over the modified stockers.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Banned

I use yella terras on most stuff. I have used the HS modified's also. Both are very good quality to me.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I think my yella terra ultalights are fine and good quality. I went 1.8 as lingenfelter said it was fine with the gt7 some cames don't recommend 1.8.If did it again would have just went with 1.7 for less lift . Easier on springs. And really the turbos make the power the cam is secondary. My car is already stupid fast for the street at minimum boost that comes with my kit. And always have the spray on top in reserve.

I say go with 1.7 yella terras over the modified stockers.
Thanks my man I think 1.7s are in order also for my build !
These Scorpions that i have on now are ticky little fu#@ers LOL My buddys Scorpions sound the same way too.?? I was thinking maybe my engine builder didnt get the pushrod lengths right or something?
And it isnt an oil issue either LOL I was SHOCKED!!!how much oil was squirting out of the rockers when i fired it with the drivers valve cover off LOL Im used to old school rockers where you can adjust real quick with the engine running.I bet i lost 1/4 of a quart within 08 secounds of running without the drivers valve cover onLOL

Last edited by barnat; 05-28-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Well a few things barnat fellow APS buddy. The ls1 seem very noisy. most do sound like sewing machines..OLD Sewing Machines..LOL
I did bunch of preload checking and stuff with pushrod checker .The yella terras came with shims but they shorten the pushrod length so you need longer ones for sure if you go with their shims and hate the shims they can fall into the engine. Anyway it might be a bit different on the 1.7s I have the 1.8s.
Anyway we found stock 7.4 with no shims gave like .060 preload . Specified range I think of the ls7 lifters is think about .060 to .10 . I did seem to have a lot of noise with the 7.4 and the shims as that was likely like .040. It seemed to get quieter taking out the shims and then over winter put in 7.425 which takes me to like .080 middle of range.Guess its about as quiet as you can get a ls1. I am not sure the yellar terra are that quiet. Also some injectors tick more than others. Not sure what type of those you have.I have 60 siemens that think are pretty loud. I will likley go to 80s not siemens or go back to my non siemens 120s possibly they seemed quieter. But anyway the engine seems noisy anyway. The forged wisecos slap for about 5 minutes on cold start up. There seems to be noise coming from fenderwell area..the ls1 is just noisy it seems.
And even with my iron block thought that would shut it up apparently not maybe cause of the aluminum head and some say they think the fast is louder maybe lets more noise thru is thinner mabye than factory intake and no noise deadener on my ws6 hood either.
One trick I use in car is to run the heater fan at higher settings all the time cheap noise masking. And do have a loud loud stereo too!

Anyway so not sure the yella terra will be quieter. No promises there.