Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbosmart BOV's Question for how hard to set them??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbosmart BOV's Question for how hard to set them??

I'm installing my BOV's tonight and need to know a starting point to have the Hard to soft settings at. I was thinking in the middle. Is this right?? And how would I know when I need to make them harder or softer.

Thanks guys..
Jordan
Old 05-28-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Instructions are pretty clear but you have to read them ! LOL
I had to download some big adobe program to view them.

Basically you install them.You can set them fairly loose to start. Don't have the orange o ring visible you don't want to be too far down or you might have one fall apart. You can't hurt them by going too loose but they will fall apart.thats how you service them by unscrewing counterclockwise. So anyway with tightend up a bit past that oring seal start car. It helps if you can angle them so you can see inside to verify or feel that the piston is should be firmly closed at idle not floating or bouncing. Once you turn it so piston is firm firm then give it just a bit more maybe half to 1 turn and you should be fine. Too hard think the problem is they won't open when the should especially at lower boost levels. I can actually here them a bit opening even with basically no boost but they are louder when boosting of course.
Too lose and car will maybe start stalling out and bogginr or running rich maybe the instructions talk about a test drive after to make sure they aren't doing that.
If too lose they are going to be open basically all the time . So firm a bit but not too firm. My mechanic/buddy was setting them for me yeterday so not exactly sure about some of this but basically we did what I said.
I may never get stalling on my setup since running 3 bar and it may not make the car richer either again do to speed density 3 bar. On normal maf cars you can stalling and rich running do to non recircing the blow offs it messes up stuff .But if you run blow thru maf behind the blow off or speed density no worries.
A blow off set way to weak can flutter and this is not good and one not opening at all until very high boost is also not good.

I like that my turbosmart were exact plug and play for my aps kit. Seconds to install.
We didn't even jack up the car to put them in or set them. Just reached under there with the splash shields off the car of course.

I will hopefully be getting a video camera and take some pics of various things with my 99. The bosch actually don't sound too bad if you run them unrecirced. Just got some home depot think they were some kind of table leg protector and they fit perfect on there. Simple fun mod.

Are you running sd.If so then don't expect to set them by how the car stalls. Don't think you can as stated above. One great advantage to speed density or blow thru mafs if you lose an intercooler pipe the car can drive home. On draw thru if you lose a pipe you walk home if you can't fix it.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

WOW another long read... LOL

Well my first BOV didn't come with the CD, but the second one I just bought did?
But for now I'm running a MAF set-up just to check for leaks, then I'm switching it over the SD once I get it to the Tuners Shop. So I want to have it some what running and ready for them. Thanks for your help
Old 05-28-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

He's right,

the short version:

You're probably at what, 15 inc of vacuum at idle? My car is...

OKay, set it at the softest setting possible without the end flying off... If you see the orange line, that's too loose.

Then, give it a dedicated line preferably, and then have someone start your car... Look into the horn of the BOV... Piston should be closed... If not, start tightening (clockwise) until it shuts. Have someone rev the car up... Piston should show visible movement, even at a light rev... Done...

As long as it's closed at idle, you will not have stalling problems, and even at the softest setting it WILL stay closed under boost since the pressure in the line pushing the piston from boost in the intake manifold will keep it shut... But you want it as loose as possible while being shut at idle vacuum so a slight vacuum increase will pull the piston open to ensure boost escapes immediately and the turbo doesn't have to eat it.

Which TS BOV did you get?
Old 05-29-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

25mm TS Kompact Bov's..

Quick Reply: Turbosmart BOV's Question for how hard to set them??