Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

URGENT URGENT APS Turbo help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT URGENT APS Turbo help

I got my APS TT dont yesterday and was filling the car up with coolant and after it was full, I noticed that coolant was leaking out of the passenger side turbo air inlet. I disconnected the discharge pipe and coolant pours out. Coolant also was dripping out of the back of my mid-pipe.

The car WAS NOT started....only filled up with coolant.

The lines are in the correct orientation so Im trying to figure out what other things can be wrong.....seals, etc. ?

I really need some help guys
Old 05-29-2009, 09:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you were somehow able to connect the coolant hoses to the oil ports on the turbo, which is really unlikely, it sounds like the center cartridge is bad.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Unless you were somehow able to connect the coolant hoses to the oil ports on the turbo, which is really unlikely, it sounds like the center cartridge is bad.
Yeah its pretty unlikely. The coolant inlet has a banjo bolt and the oil inlet had a regular AN fitting.

Thats not really what I wanted to hear, but its actually the first option other thank switching the lines up that I have heard. Thanks
Old 05-29-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm.I got a dud turbo it must be internally cracked it poured coolant into my oil pan .I was very lucky caught it within first minute or so of fire up with the new kit and the new 408.Could have cost me an engine.
I am simply running my turbos oil cooled only. There is no way to hook up the lines wrong on the turbos but maybe on the heads? Not sure where you hook things up on the vettes just the f body and the aps site is down. Not sure if they are under or what is going on.

At least you can get replacement turbos from other sources if aps is byebye.
I am just going to run my current one for a bit and see what happens.I would think if it was screwed it would put coolant into the engine not out the inlet side.? That don't make much sense. have you checked your oil? Funny thing too is that it don't put oil in the coolant on mine.

The water cooling is optional if you have the same 20g turbos that the f body kits have. Many people run only the oil cooling .But the oil cooling is critical dont' try to run just water cooling!
Old 05-29-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Hmm.I got a dud turbo it must be internally cracked it poured coolant into my oil pan .I was very lucky caught it within first minute or so of fire up with the new kit and the new 408.Could have cost me an engine.
I am simply running my turbos oil cooled only. There is no way to hook up the lines wrong on the turbos but maybe on the heads? Not sure where you hook things up on the vettes just the f body and the aps site is down. Not sure if they are under or what is going on.

At least you can get replacement turbos from other sources if aps is byebye.
I am just going to run my current one for a bit and see what happens.I would think if it was screwed it would put coolant into the engine not out the inlet side.? That don't make much sense. have you checked your oil? Funny thing too is that it don't put oil in the coolant on mine.

The water cooling is optional if you have the same 20g turbos that the f body kits have. Many people run only the oil cooling .But the oil cooling is critical dont' try to run just water cooling!
I only had screens on the inlet so thats why It came out there first. I then disconnected the discharge pipe and it poured out of there too, so it would have went into the engine if it was cranked.

I havent check the oil, waiting on another dipstick to come in after mine was bent.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Update:

Lines were crossed at the head / oil distribution block. Its so tight in there it was just hard to follow.

Nobodys fault but mine. Now I just gotta try to get all the coolant out of the turbos. Ive got the discharge pipe disconnected to no coolant goes into the motor.