Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Who makes oval silicone tubes or Stainless??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who makes oval silicone tubes or Stainless??

I'm trying to make the driverside inlet tube for my new turbos,and these stock ones aren't working to my liking. so what I need is a round 2.75" to an oval back to a 2.75". ??? It needs to be flat enough to clear the steering shaft.

Thanks Jordan
Old 05-23-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dr Gas makes oval tubing in most sizes. Don't know about the silicone. I'd probably use a heat gun, get it warm then stretch it onto the oval tubing.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Look into the c5 corvette "air bridges".
They're round, into oval, into round. That may be just what your looking for.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Vibrant makes oval pipe and transition pieces. The silicon couplers are flexable so round and oval use the same couplers.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bumpp
Old 05-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Download this 2009 Vibrant Catalogue.

Page 27 has the oval tubing and transition adapters

http://vibrantperformance.com/downlo..._catalogue.pdf
Old 05-25-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

This is the place we have used

http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/...mance-Silisone

David
Old 05-26-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Those exhaust parts are going to be to long. Even if I cut them they still wouldn't work. I really only have about 8" of total space for the round to oval to round again.
Hmm, so no oval silicone tubes??
Old 05-26-2009, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

I took 2 peices of 2.5" stainless slight radius, 2 3" pecies of slight radius stainless and 2 straight peices of 3" stainless. I put the 2.5 inch inside the crappy APS supplied rubber tube on the side near the turbo, took the two straight 3" sections and hammered with a block of wood till they were shaped just like I wanted and installed them in the flat sections of the CRAPPY APS supplied inlet hose, then I took the last two sections of the 3" stainless bends and put it in the end near the Filter. I put hose clamps on the outside so it could not move but it was such a tight fit that I don't think it would move anyway. So far it has held just fine. I will be maxing out my 2 bar setup tomorrow night if all goes as planned
Old 05-26-2009, 11:08 PM
10 Second Club

Got any pictures of what you did Darren? I can't picture it in my little mind.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah us aps guys have to start taking more pics of the little tips and fixes we have done. Maybe sticky an aps tips and tricks thread.

I was just going to put short section in the aps inlets they just collapse in the middle don't they.

Also has anyone ran a fat swaybar and just used spacers and endlinks. I am wondering if should cut the pipes too and put silicone there would want to get them beaded again though much better to keep couplers on if the pipes are beaded.

Actually might go to quality t bolt pretty much thruout on my aps setup as well.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

it sucks when we have to improve ourselves a turbo kit after waisting all that money
Old 05-28-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MiaSSmaro98
it sucks when we have to improve ourselves a turbo kit after waisting all that money
Sts kits were kind of crap the older ones and lots of guys had to tweak on them. They were not cheap either. Ati had its share of slipping belt and other problems especially on their earlier kits.
Paxton supers are pretty much junk. Buddy rebuilt his more times then can count and powerdyne don't even hear anything about them. And not that much about vortech.
Many guys on here lost thousands me included to companies that took our money and never delivered kits at all. GMR speed took me for 2000 bucks.
incon, hi flo, etc. etc.
At least aps shipped and even ahead of shedule.Bitch about the small stuff but still the turbo kit overall is very nice. Nice intercooler, nice welding, nice fit of stuff, great instructions, you can keep your air, decent plug access. A bit pain to remove passenger side turbo ,drivers side is pretty simple to do .
And now we have options for different center carts. We have some guys with pretty high mileage on their kits no problems. We have many on the gto and vette boards but we have had some duds and problems. Such is life.
When I nail my throttle and my car moves out like an f16 eagle taking off from the carrier I have a huge smile on my face and realize that I love my tt kit and a few tweaks or even new center carts won't shake me much.
The inlet pipes are stupid easy to fix. Get 3 inch oval tubing off ebay like 12 inches cut couple inch sections stick inside inlet tube and couple clamps if you want to really make sure they stay and forget out any collapsing problems.
Sway bar can try spacers and shortened endlinks,run no sway or try silicone couplers maybe get the pipes rebeaded.
Dud turbos well ebay has upgraded center carts , Louis is selling some that I might be getting over winter and there is company doing Billet ball bearing ones .
Overheating not seeing any yet but live in Canada not nevada. I will install likely a better rad be cool or ron davis they do fit and high flo water pump. Added some redline water wetter yesterday and have my fans coming on early . Even have manual override on the fans. Don't see a huge problem with overheating.

I also plan on getting some t bolt clamps aps clamps are pretty cheap worm type. Might replace my oil return hoses maybe with any fittings and stainless.
Will maybe add a scavenger pump they are like couple hundred bucks.
No big deal. I got the kit for 5500 shipped. ATI is quite a bit more .sts is not cheap either but the redesign looks ok. Still no muffler on the sts system cops don't like that sort of stuff around here. Doubt it will pass any inspection.
I may have to put cats on my car at some point .

So enough with the bitching. Aps could supply spacers and endlinks for small charge even. All the new kits should ship with the upgraded inlets. They could send guys with original kits some pieces of 3 inch oval for free that is cheaper fix than 300 for intake tubes.

The manual said better cooling system might be needed.And yes you do need a different kmember, different ypipe if running stock catback. Yes you need fuel support ,tuning, maybe new clutch, rear end ,trans ,forged motor..etc.etc. FI .

But man let me tell you that car lights up my life right now.

So while some of you guys are bitching and bad turbos are only real reason to bitch and many times it not the turbos..its blocked oil drain maybe from not taking out shipping plugs.I almost did that mistake. Double checked. Its crankcase pressure problem maybe not doing the pcv like they showed or you have the check valve in backwards. Maybe you drilled those oil returns too low down. Mabye you overfilled your crank. Maybe your inlet tubes are sucking shut ,that problem as said is simple 20 buck fix.
Maybe your stock engine is blown from running higher boost and you think the turbos are blown. Lots of maybes.

Also while Peter can be a poltitician about answering questions if you know what I mean he has always treated me fair and I have always been civil to him. He has offered to take care of my dud problem but just haven't wanted to take it out of the car and put the car down right now. and my turbo runs fine just not if you hook up the water lines.And they can be run oil cooled only or both. but not water cooled only.The oil cooling is the critical cooling.

I also am adding a catch can into my setup.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Banned

what about doing like what the zo6 kit is. just use still tube all the way?
Old 05-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Banned

also minus the making my own. has anyone had any trouble with the new inlet tubes from APS?
Old 05-28-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Veteran

I just said you go on ebay and buy 3 inch oval pipe.It fits in there pretty much perfectly just hacksaw the pipe or get it cut .Put a couple clamps on it. This had been done already by 1mean? in his aps build.
He should have took some pics but man its simple.If you can install a twin turbo kit you can do this.Why pay 300 bucks for upgraded tubes. just stent these and call it a day. Solid tubing well there isn't much room and the rubber should be just fine stented.

You guys make super big deals over nothing. Its a simple fix.Aps should buy some oval tubing and mail out some already precut to original buyer for good PR. Are you reading this Peter. And a spacer kit should be sent out to clear the stock sway bar free and maybe optional kit for guys with big bars like me.
They could clearance the pipes at factory level on the new kits as well. they can make it look nicer.
Again only serious problem with the aps is questionable reliabilty of the turbo center carts.But as said at least we have options now.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Since don't think sponsors sell this maybe ok to post the link??
If not just search 3 inch oval pipe it comes up .I am likely going to order some today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-inc...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-29-2009, 11:42 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
Got any pictures of what you did Darren? I can't picture it in my little mind.
I do not but I will see if I can post something up. It is super easy and it is good enough to max the turbos out

Quick Reply: Who makes oval silicone tubes or Stainless??