Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

bmw twin scroll twin turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hennytime
a very basic idea is that there are veins that stay closed in low rpm operation to spool the turbo quickly like a smaller turbo, but then they open up in the upper rpms to produce big power like a larger unit. I'm not 100% on the technology so if I am off a bit, I'm sure some one will come along and correct me

edit, found this on a turbo forum:
Originally Posted by TiAL
turbine housing is split to allow for separation of exhaust pulses to stay divided and hit the turbine wheel 'cleaner'

this, when the engine is built correctly for it, gives a larger turbo better midrange response

thanks guys. Sounds like an awesome innovation for turbos. That BMW gets the torque kicking in right away, damn close to a PD blower!!
I have been leaning towards a PD blower for my GTO because i use it on the street, and like the instant hit of torque. However, if these twin scroll turbo's can be used on a GTO turbo kit, then i would go that direction possibly.
The results are kick ***!!

Has anyone used these turbos on out cars? Are these turbo's expensive as compared to the regular turbo's?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Johny GTO
thanks guys. Sounds like an awesome innovation for turbos. That BMW gets the torque kicking in right away, damn close to a PD blower!!
I have been leaning towards a PD blower for my GTO because i use it on the street, and like the instant hit of torque. However, if these twin scroll turbo's can be used on a GTO turbo kit, then i would go that direction possibly.
The results are kick ***!!

Has anyone used these turbos on out cars? Are these turbo's expensive as compared to the regular turbo's?
what Hennytime is describing is VNT or VGT, not twin scroll...VNT turbos are very limited right now in gas engines because of the heat, they are very popular in diesel apps becaue they run much cooler

i believe the only full VNT gas turbo car to date is the 997TT
honda/acura has one that is more an on off switch and doesn't really count
Old 06-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Launching!

555hp at 1,5 bar boost indead does't seem quite right

that would mean a N/A base engine of about 220-230hp

there is something fishy..
Old 06-04-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome design by BMW!
Old 06-04-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jeejee
555hp at 1,5 bar boost indead does't seem quite right

that would mean a N/A base engine of about 220-230hp

there is something fishy..
you didnt read my post, its a marketing or whatever u wanna call it gimmick for lack of a better term,

the car produces full boost from 1500 to 5750RPMS, and after that boost DROPS until it reaches its lowest point at 6000rpms, which happens to be where the car makes its max HP. So point is, the car is making low-end and midrange of a 600+ hp car.

And it makes sense for the n/a base engine not to have the power youre expecting, 4.4liter v8 with 9.3:1 cr, sounds about right to me or?
Old 06-05-2009, 03:24 AM
Launching!

no, i read your post allright, but it seems to me when boost drops of so much (to get that unrealistic low power) after 5700rpm, it would not make peak power at 6000

Don't get me wrong i really like bmw engine design, as a matter of fact, i'm building and installing a bmw m5 turbo engine myself

i would expect the lower compression 4.4 v8 - 32v base engine to make about 280-300hp

Quick Reply: bmw twin scroll twin turbo