Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin turbo build up in 67 LS1 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin turbo build up in 67 LS1 Camaro

I'm sure this has been asked to death but I can get all the help. My engine is a 2001 with 31000 miles and I always wanted to turbo charge it since I finished the car 3 years ago. (Engine had 28000 miles when I got it 2003)
So I'm looking where should mount the turbos and most logical place is low mount where manifolds dump. It is easier to fit the hot side that way. But that brings up the oil return problem. What kind of scavenge pump to use?

I'm not looking crazy amount of power but something strong on the street like say around 500 to be safe. I can not have the Camry beaten up by rice burners which all come with 300 horses these days so upgrade is a must, Lol.

I want twin for fast spool and better response and so I don't have to deal with Cross over pipe and stuff since my dual exhaust is there I just modify it.

So I'm open to opinions and guidance from turbo gurus whom most of you know what you are doing.

Keep in mind I'm on budget.

What kind of turbos and piping size do I need? Does my fuel system would be sufficient enough, which is ricks stainless in tank pump.

All the help I can get would be appreciated highly.
Thanks to all
Ismail

Last edited by 67LS1T56; 06-05-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just get the APS system. that answers all your needs that your asking for. 500hp is nothing these days with this engine
Old 06-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

Isn't it Car specific which nothing would work in my car as far as pipes?
Old 06-05-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

woops, i forgot this was going into the 67 body. my bad
Old 06-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Twins doesn't necessarily mean faster spool. What it does mean though is extra costs. You have to get 2 wastegates and run the pipes for those. You'll have to get 2 turbos (duh), 2 O2 sensors, etc.... Properly sizing the turbine will determine your spool (for the most part). You've got PLENTY of room for a crossover pipe in that engine bay. An S400(ish) runs about $600 or $700 IIRC. The money saved will be more than enough to cut in a Y after your downpipe to retain most of your dual exhaust. There are other turbos for a single setup that will fit your application. S400(ish) just seems to be the most popular.

Some background... I have a 67 as well that I've been researching and planning for years for a turbo system. I've gone back and forth checking the possibilities of doing a twin setup because I like the look, but I keep coming back to a single. If I were you, I wouldn't rule it out...especially if your main reasons are "twins spool faster" and "dealing with a crossover pipe". Check out www.turbomustangs.com They have a Chevy forum in there so you don't get a rash from those Ford guys.

Last edited by Hairdryer Hank; 06-05-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Wow! That was my first post. lol. What a way to come out of lurking status... I wanna see pics no matter what route you go. I'll have to live vicariously through you and your project until my budget gets freed up a little more... who am I kidding? A LOT more.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

I'm reading that above mentioned site lots of info there. I'm going to look into more JY turbos. let see what happens.

Quick Reply: Twin turbo build up in 67 LS1 Camaro