Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

S91 Build FeedBack. Is this Reality?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh @ KYTP
I proved it along time ago.

You spout off the same $250 turbo header crap in every thread that brings it up. Do everyone a favor. Build your $250 turbo headers. Sell them for $500. Double your money, be everyones hero, make more $$$$$ than you can spend.

We will all sit back and see how long it lasts.
Why is everything about making money? This really isnt that difficult. I have no desire to go into production work... hell no. I already have people lined up wanting me to do stuff that I turn down. I already have a day job. And out of every thread I post in about this and you make trying to price gouge people and tell them they have to pay a lot I get a few PM's thanking me for the information. Im not out to scam people, make money (none), what I preach is my own proven stuff that works. I like to keep people from paying beyond fair price for something and getting ripped. What i say it costs people and what I pay is different yes. My Nova headers might have $150. in material. I add the extra $100. figuring people cant make their flanges. I see on ebay SS head flanges for $59 each. Shop around ive seen them cheaper. Sure some people are incapable of making stuff like this... But you dont have to rape them.
Some guys will never learn.....My next set of headers goes like this...
$175 flanges 304ss
$225 for 16 90 degree elbows 304ss
$175 for 304ss collectors(not junk)
$575 in parts alone
What elbows do you use that cost $14 a peice and how do they differ from the weld el's that cost half? mandrel bent tubing i assume? What wall thickness? what collectors? just curious.

But your price is more what I see a custom set of headers go for. Thats not outrageous. $1400 is not outrageous for a custom set.....compared to the 2500-3500 posted above.

I just did some searching this spring and got quotes between 2500 and 3500 for tubular headers. The SW stuff looks good though.
no ones still been able to answer why these cost so much. Everyone says im so wrong, yet no ones proved it. What kind of material are they? Unobtainium?
Old 06-12-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

And if you think because what I have into my setups doesnt cost much, are they junk? And how so? enlighten me please.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:21 AM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75

What elbows do you use that cost $14 a peice and how do they differ from the weld el's that cost half? mandrel bent tubing i assume? What wall thickness? what collectors? just curious.
The elbows are 16g 304SS with 5-6" legs on each end, the collectors are 16g 304SS from cone engineering. They are HVMC but unassembled, look very close to the ones from burns. When I build a set of headers, its no holds barred max performance for the least cost. I am not using a piece of sheetmetal for a set of headers on my 2500hp car or my 600hp street car.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
I am not using a piece of sheetmetal for a set of headers on my 2500hp car or my 600hp street car.
Do you realize that the tubing your using is "sheetmetal" ? Same with the collectors. It all started out flat at one point.

The weld el's are cast equal to about 12 gauge. Being cast makes them no less of a perfect functioning part. They are thicker and stronger. 16ga on turbo headers in my opinion is thin. But they obviously work for a lot of people. I'd really like to know how they are after many heat/pressure cycles. Im sure it would flex easier with thermal expansion, that would be more prone to cracking. Am i wrong? Wouldnt they also disipate heat easier?

Im not arguing with you, I'd just like to know the logic behind the material selection.

When I build a set of headers, its no holds barred max performance for the least cost.
How does this make the stuff I use less "performance" and less no holds barred? Wouldnt optimal airflow and heat retention and structural integrity make them no holds barred?
Old 06-12-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Please explain how the two are different.

Pics from Phil's 2500hp race car. No holds barred headers.

Pics from BMW 600hp street car project with junk $250. into the whole hot side. and sheetmetal collectors.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-12-2009, 01:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That heavy stuff is fine for playing with street cars, but when it goes onto a real race car it is indeed "junk". Sorry.

On a street car it is great to a certain level, just like manifolds. Weight is a huge concern on a race car though. Also when making max hp you will find the short falls of building a cheap manifold quick.

Build a 2500+hp engine with manifolds like that and tell us what the exhaust valves and pistons look like after a few passes. Also tell me what valve springs you are using to keep it together.

A $2500 set of headers cost that much for a very good reason.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:49 PM
7 Second Club

Please explain how the two are different.

[IMG][/IMG]
I wouldn't put that collector and merge section on my turbocharged John deere tractor.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hellbents10
That heavy stuff is fine for playing with street cars, but when it goes onto a real race car it is indeed "junk". Sorry.

On a street car it is great to a certain level, just like manifolds. Weight is a huge concern on a race car though. Also when making max hp you will find the short falls of building a cheap manifold quick.

A $2500 set of headers cost that much for a very good reason.
weight wise would be the only factor. Material thickness would have nothing to do with flow. Everyones still dancing around all my questions.

Build a 2500+hp engine with manifolds like that and tell us what the exhaust valves and pistons look like after a few passes. Also tell me what valve springs you are using to keep it together.
Explain why the material thickness would matter. I really dont know. This application is super compacted under the hood and not built for 2500hp. So the "design" of this is totally irrelevant. Look at the drivers side. But my point is the tubes and elbows themselves.... whats the diff? I dont see mine surface rusting. And mine are junk??

I wouldn't put that collector and merge section on my turbocharged John deere tractor.
Right, it kinda sounds like you have more money than brains. So im sure you'd buy one that cost $300 that does the same thing. If it isnt cookie cutter its junk.

....those headers in the bottom pic of yours are not even stainless.

Last edited by pwrtrip75; 06-12-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:20 PM
7 Second Club

....those headers in the bottom pic of yours are not even stainless.
Your 100% right and thats part of the reason I am building a new set of 2" 304SS headers. So because I can spot a bad merge collector I have more money than brains?
Old 06-12-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Your 100% right and thats part of the reason I am building a new set of 2" 304SS headers. So because I can spot a bad merge collector I have more money than brains?
no.....maybe im misunderstanding everything... but it sounds like just because the "weld el's" are cast and .109 wall instead of formed tubing .060 wall they are junk. The collectors can be made a million different ways, that isnt the point. KYjosh said the elbows are cheap junk. I'd like to know why, and what the difference is.

And the reason it sounds like you have more $ than brains is because you keep saying the sheetmetal stuff is junk when your whole exhaust is made of it...lol.

I asked a few questions a few posts up and they are all ignored and then everyone just says....oh its junk and you need high dollar stuff.
WHY?

and if your talking about spotting a bad merge what are you referring to? it looks like the pass side tees right into the driv side but the pic is looking down on the elbow, they both actually go directly into the flange. I agree its not perfect or anywhere near it... its a BMW with no room and with AC and accessible spark plugs .
Old 06-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I said you must be buying some cheap *** weld Els. I never said they were junk. I have used Sch 10 pipe on turbo manifolds myself. I just choose to not use Sch 10 pipe to build headers.

I personaly do not care how you build your headers, the material used, or the costs. We apparently play by differnt build practices. I don't mind that Eigther. I just don't like the fact that you cut down what others charge for thier products when you have no idea of the reasons behind it. That is my only issue.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok i see this going know where.
thanks for the pics
and if the OP needs more feedback from his orginial question start a new thread.

Quick Reply: S91 Build FeedBack. Is this Reality?