Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

wtf do i do for a turbo exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wtf do i do for a turbo exhaust?

alright.. ive been doing a lot of digging and i need a visual or some kind of info to help me out. long story short im considering going turbo after some of the research of been doing.

i have a kooks setup in my sig that isn't installed yet on the car. so now wtf do i do an exhaust if i plan on going turbo? it seems everyone runs a 3'' down pipe so what happens after you use the truck manifolds? what do you run for an exhaust? help a turbo newb out! i understand the truck manifolds on the hot side and that it runs back to the turbo to spin it (got the concept) so what about the rest of the exhaust

i guess my kooks 1 7/8 w/ ory is for sale now if i can't use for a turbo build. $825 shipped w/ paypal comes with 02 sensors. its in great shape never put on.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

This is mine it is quiet as stock with the cutout closed.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a nice exhaust you got there, big ole muffler in the back to make quiet but with cutout open nice and loud. So it's just a 3" downpipe that goes straight back and only one pipe?? Seems simple enough, i might have to copy some of that exhaust it looks good.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

so basically i run custom piping off the down pipe and run the cutout through the grommet on the passenger side. i still wanna run my cme so do i just continue the over the axle custom mendrel bends to my magnaflow out the cme?
^^^does that sound correct?

also, what made you use a bullet muffler after the downpipe?what kind is it?

btw, thanks for the pics man
Old 06-22-2009, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

That is a 24" Dynomax bullet. I wanted it to help kill some noise when I open the cutout and try to keep the drone away.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

^^^thats what i figured. so whay do you think about my other response about running the crossover pipe through my catback out cme?
Old 06-23-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah thatll work and ittl still look pretty much like his just with a cme
Old 06-23-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

**** i just realized something. my last question... obviously theres one c6 manifold and one truck manifold. which side has the downpipe? and which side do you run the exhaust from? or do you connect it to the downpipe? damnn i dunno

^^^thanks for the help fellas. i just need the above cleared up and im good to go
Old 06-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

You will have two pipes coming from the manifolds into one flange (turbo mounts here), from the turbo (cold side) you will have one pipe leading to the intercooler or TB, from the other side of the turbo (hot side) you will have your down pipe. In essence the down pipe is your exhaust. Leave it uncapped and dumped, or run back to a muffler of some sort...Totally up to you! Good luck with your build.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

^^^thank you. that's what i thought what happens but what from what ive been seeing everyone is running them dumped or uncapped. so i take it that a majority of people don't run any exhaust piping for massive weight savings?
so i guess in my case i wouldn't run a 3'' down pipe and instead continue the piping for whatever exhaust ill be running and utilize my 3'' electric cut out near the passenger grommet?

btw, isn't 3" piping enough exhaust for under 700rwhp?

thanks fellas for the helpful responses once again
Old 06-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

The 3" dp should be good. As for exhaust, turbo cars are generally not that loud,so they opt to just run the downpipe and call it good. However if you decide to run a full exhaust, you will be fine going that route as well. Your car should make respectable power and be a blast to drive. Have fun!
Old 06-23-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

so ummm where do 02 sensors go? so pretty much you either get a dirty sticker or live in florida?
Old 06-23-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You weld in an 02 bung into the downpipe after it exits the turbo.

You are going to need a custom tune after your turbo's installed. To make things easier on your search, just let the tuner handle that for you.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

so i wonder what the turbo guys are doing for inspection time when they have absolutely nothing for piping? it is very tempting to sell my slp dual/dual brand new magnaflow catback (non used) 3" electric cutout and brand new cme with brand new painted valence with used kooks headers and y. but i love the cme look!

wouldn't running the pipe to my cme at least look good for a visual for inspection but then again it has no cats and looks nothing like a stock exhaust system. i think i just answered my own question there

so what do you guys do for inspection?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlwnLs1GTO
You weld in an 02 bung into the downpipe after it exits the turbo.
That bung after the turbo will be for a wideband. You need to put one on each side right after the manifold also.

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
so i wonder what the turbo guys are doing for inspection time when they have absolutely nothing for piping? it is very tempting to sell my slp dual/dual brand new magnaflow catback (non used) 3" electric cutout and brand new cme with brand new painted valence with used kooks headers and y. but i love the cme look!

wouldn't running the pipe to my cme at least look good for a visual for inspection but then again it has no cats and looks nothing like a stock exhaust system. i think i just answered my own question there

so what do you guys do for inspection?
Just fine someone that can hook you up or don't get one.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

i can get someone. where did you get the piping with the o2 bungs?
Old 06-23-2009, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Whomever makes the kit will or should install the bungs for you. If it doesn't come that way, just ask them to install them. Nothing more than drilling three holes and welding in the bungs.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Resident

^^^thank you sir!