Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo with a 6 Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbo with a 6 Speed?

Currently gathering all my crap to build a 6.0 single turbo (T76) and was think of switching out my 6 speed for a powerglide or 400 but at the same time it's hard to give up my 6 speed.

How well does a turbo car perform with a 6 speed between shifts at the track or on the street?
Old 06-24-2009, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

It has been fine for me so far - no issues. what info r u looking for? boost between shifts?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Six speeds don't build boost very good off the line. So you need a two step like lingenfelter or some standalones like big stuff three have it built in.
Antilag also helps build boost in a six speed again lingenfelter unit has that feature as do most standalones.

Non ball bearing turbos will lose more between shifts unless you do no lift to shift on the gas. basically power shifting.
Ball bearing stay spooled up much better.

Six speed can also be ok when driving around town say you are in third just drop to second or if in fifth or sixth just bang down to fourth and you will pretty much have instant spool up. Or do the old brake boost thing.

So no real disadvantages to six speed manuals. I am swapping as just sick of them in traffic and sick of clutches and hydraulics,floater rattle.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love having the turbo w/ the 6 speed...

You just gotta decide whats more important, having a fun street car or a fast track car. As the A4 will definately help your 6.0's... but at the cost (IMHO) of fun as a street car. I rarely race my camaro, so if it runs low 11's (w/ a 2.0 60') when she should run mid 10's... im still happy with that. On the highway she'll outrun most of the 11 sec and 10 sec cars. Shes an absolute riot to drive on the streets... 530hp/640trq @ 9 lbs... killer grocery getter.

Eventually id like to have her at ~14lbs.

So if you decide to keep the M6 you could do a two step like mentioned above, to help your 1/4 times.

ZombieSS used to have a 6speed and switched to a th400... he absolutely loves it. Said he enjoys driving it with the 3 speed th400 even better. I think that mostly has to do with not having to replace the clutch all the time. He tracks ALOT more then i do, and is now running 10.0X / 10.1X
Old 06-24-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrb07sti
6spd with turbo will be great! It will allow you to flat foot shift the gears and hold boost inbetween gears. and manuals are alot more fun on the street!
It is not my daily driver and gets driven mainly for fun on the street.

I am assuming MOST turbo cars do well with taller gears to keep it in boost. Would switching to a 3.23 or my stock 3.42 gears be more efficient and produce better results, i.e. less shifting?

Last edited by Vcious04; 06-24-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

^^same here as in wkend fun toy. im thinking the same as you; if your putting down 600+ i would think the lower gears 3:50's or 3:42's would be perfect for traction and staying more in gear ya know?
tell if im wrong? i also go to the track for fun but the ultimate enjoyment is the street

Quick Reply: Turbo with a 6 Speed?