Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

roots vs twin screw

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z28usmc
How about this for proof: Take an 03 Cobra. It comes with a roots style Eaton M112 from the factory. If you put full boltons, port the SC and tune it within an anch of it's life you MIGHT get to 550 RWHP. However- if you bolt on a twin screw KB or Whipple you ROUTINELY see RWHP #'s 600-800 depending on supporting mods and size of blower. The proof really is in the numbers- you can believe them or not believe them- your choice.
Manufacturers go with the HEaton because it's FAR cheaper to mass produce. You would add 3-5k to the price if you added a twin screw. Most manufacturers shy away from that kind of hike for fear of losing customers.
the superchargers are diffrent sizes and made for for different ammounts of air. I bet that ported eaton will whoop the 3.4 whipple if they are both pullied to 8psi.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 180ls1
the superchargers are diffrent sizes and made for for different ammounts of air. I bet that ported eaton will whoop the 3.4 whipple if they are both pullied to 8psi.
Not a chance in the world.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

You have a lot to learn my young padawon...
Old 06-29-2009, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not a chance in the world.
Originally Posted by Z06PSI
You have a lot to learn my young padawon...
show me otherwise on both of my statements then.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DeltaT
That's 680HP at the crank after their tune and pulley.

This is the latest Lingenfelter ZR1 Chassis Dyno that they have posted (stock vs. pullied/injectors/tuned):

Not quite as impressive as you make it out to be...

And let's not forget that the ZR1 makes it damn hard to convert to any other system without adding a 3" cowl hood and a total engine reconfig. They integrated that TVS so deep into the manifold that it will be a while before you see blower changes.

Look at the Ford GT - the highest power package out there now has a Whipple 3.4HPR strapped to the top, but that engine compartment has plenty of room. Part of the LSx problem is the engine setback and cowl issues that make some blowers very difficult to fit.

UPDATE: Just found this: "This Lingenfelter ZR1 has the latest version of our second level of supercharger upgrades and produces an impressive 739 RWHP & 720 RWTQ. The Lingenfelter supercharger upgrades included our pulley upgrade, air intake modifications, intercooler improvements and tuning."

Jim
I was busy and then at Carlisle all weekend so couldn't respond. Glad you found the correct info yourself. I started this thread to learn something. I have no experience or biases with either kind of blower. The zr1 results are extremely impressive and I was curious as to whether the TVS had closed the gap between twin screw and roots or if the ls9 was just more bad *** than the ford motors.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tunning a Roe supercharged 1st gen Viper today. non-intercooled 8.5:1 engine, pump gas and meth, @10psi...710whp/750wtq. I know that a 112/122/1900/2300 would not do that non intercooled. This was heat soaked too, back to back passes got down to 690/735. The screw works, too bad there is no room for an intercooler on the Viper...I can post some graphs tomorrow as I am still sneaking up on the tune, 15 degrees timing and 10.8:1 AFR. I will keep it lower then 11.2:1 for the most part.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jeff@TotalPerformanceEng
Hey Andrew... I FINALLY got a few prototype inlets..

When will your motor be up and running? I want to send you one to test. We did back to back testing on our SF 1020 today, and the results are freaking unreal. I cant wait to have a couple guys run these.. Im dying to see what the excuses for not buying one will be then..

Also, what size is your TB so I can have the flange cut right. Do you want methanol bungs in it?
Ummm Jeff?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

On a SMALL motor, to about 3200 rpms, yes.... Other than that, not a chance...

The ONLY reason the MP112 would be able to hang, is based on the rotor speeds. The only way you would get the 3.4 to boost to 8psi, is by underdriving the living hell out of it. This would cause the blower to react extremely slow. But once it got in its groove, then, the charicteristics of a top mount blower would step in, and the 3.4 would destroy it in every fashion. Although the theory of having the smallest possible blower for the application is a somewhat correct theory, its mainly a bullshit excuse for magnusson to convince people that they dont need a bigger blower that they dont offer.

Yes, you want a small (ish) size PD blower. But not a tiny 1.8-2.3L At least not on 350-450cid motors.
that is what i was trying to get at because a lot of cobra guys buy the big 3.4 whipple or 2.8 KB and will only run pump with like 18psi. They could have run a 2.2 or 2.3 twinscrew and made better power because they are not spinning such a big unit.

Or people will overdrive the eaton to all hell by running a very common 4lb lower and 2.76 upper combo that will spin the blower 50% more then the maximum it is suppesed to spin at. Then say the eaton does not make good power .

I realize that the twinscrew blowers are a better option a lot of times but when that one guy compared a very overdriven eaton to one of the bigger twin screws i wanted to let him know that was not a good comparison between the two blowers.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:55 PM
Teching In

show me otherwise on both of my statements then.
First of all how can you find www.ls1tech.com but you can't find google? Do you not know how to use a search function? Just some friendly advice- since it's very obvious you don't believe what we are saying why don't YOU do some hunting around on your own. CALL Kenne Bell or Whipple- then call Eaton. Find out from the people who produce them. Or if you want a more unbiased opinion CALL the tech line @ www.superchargersonline.com - I've personally spoken to them numerous times and they are VERY knowledgable when it comes to the strengths and weaknesses of all 3 different types of blowers. That will allow YOU to speak more intelligently on THIS subject. Many of us in this thread have already done the causative research and have been able to form our own opinions based on FACT- I would suggest you do the same.

Cheers

I'll even get you started- this is an example of a www.google.com search- this was found on page 1 with a "twin screw vs roots supercharger" search criterion:
http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ge...REWvsROOTS.pdf

Last edited by Z28usmc; 06-30-2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

First of all how can you find www.ls1tech.com but you can't find google? Do you not know how to use a search function? Just some friendly advice- since it's very obvious you don't believe what we are saying why don't YOU do some hunting around on your own. CALL Kenne Bell or Whipple- then call Eaton. Find out from the people who produce them. Or if you want a more unbiased opinion CALL the tech line @ www.superchargersonline.com - I've personally spoken to them numerous times and they are VERY knowledgable when it comes to the strengths and weaknesses of all 3 different types of blowers. That will allow YOU to speak more intelligently on THIS subject. Many of us in this thread have already done the causative research and have been able to form our own opinions based on FACT- I would suggest you do the same.

Cheers

I'll even get you started- this is an example of a www.google.com search- this was found on page 1 with a "twin screw vs roots supercharger" search criterion:
you just cant compare an eaton that is overdriven to all hell to a twinscrew that is right in its comfort range. like you did with your cobra example.

you are correct a twinscrew will make more power for its size.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:20 AM
Teching In

that is what i was trying to get at because a lot of cobra guys buy the big 3.4 whipple or 2.8 KB and will only run pump with like 18psi. They could have run a 2.2 or 2.3 twinscrew and made better power because they are not spinning such a big unit.

Or people will overdrive the eaton to all hell by running a very common 4lb lower and 2.76 upper combo that will spin the blower 50% more then the maximum it is suppesed to spin at. Then say the eaton does not make good power .

I realize that the twinscrew blowers are a better option a lot of times but when that one guy compared a very overdriven eaton to one of the bigger twin screws i wanted to let him know that was not a good comparison between the two blowers.
Reading> you- first if you would READ as I have suggested a few times now you would know that both Whipple AND Kenne Bell recommend BUILDING your motor prior to running their bigger blowers. All you have to do is go to their website. But then again you'd rather sit here and argue with everybody about how much better roots are than twin screw.

The reason I spoke about the maxxed out HEaton vs the twin screw was to illustrate to you WHY many people will drop the Roots for the Twin Screw. But again instead of listening to the facts that many of us have laid out, you would rather sit here and argue. At this point whether you believe or not is irrelevant. YOUR opinion of Roots superiority is NOT supported by the facts no matter how much you argue. Here is another parrallel- in the 1400's just because many people thought the world was flat (in the face of FACT I might add) didn't make it so.

As I said before- do your own research. Figure it out. Once you see the FACTS for yourself the answer really is quite obvious. GL

BTW- the link below PROVES my and everyone elses point. It compares a 1.5 Roots vs a 1.5 Twin screw- in case you missed that they are the SAME size on the SAME motor under the SAME conditions. Did you even bother to read it? If after reading that article you STILL believe that roots is superior there really is no hope for you.- oh yeah- the world STILL isn't flat!!

Last edited by Z28usmc; 06-30-2009 at 05:26 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Man, Im soooooooooo close on getting my car running.. Leave me alone.. HAHA.

I didnt forget about you. I FINALLY crossed the hump, and am on the down hill side. I just need a few more days, and she should be ready to fire. I gotts beat you to the punch.
I will hopefully get some heads back this week and I might be up by the 4th.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now you knew this was coming...

Ok, so you bought and put that exact blower off of that specific car on your car and it's how much power so far in the last 1.5-2 years? All of the people putting these on their cars and not trying to lay low, but trying for the win and still nothing. Jeff had his big sale last year and something like "29" buyers (maybe more) and not one has posted up an even remotely impressive number. That counts for dyno and track #'s. Show me something. The E-bay players don't impress me. I have seen some really stupid claims on there. Show me something tangible in the mainstream. Making decent power shouldn't be such a struggle. As a matter of fact, it isn't with the right products, installation and tuning! With all of those Corvette KB buyers, someone should have posted their #'s by now. Z06Wanted's car had poor #'s on his 408 and that was immediately discounted due to his 8.8:1 compression, but we still have the others. Rumor has it that Robert Miller's 402 built with Jeff's cam and compression recommendations and a 2.8 posted up #'s that were just as weak as Z06Wanted's. When there are Vortechs, Novi's, Prochargers, TVS's, Turbo kits all able to post up good track times and dyno #'s out there when they're actually trying to (as opposed to the car show guys that want to have 500rwhp and some bling, but don't race), why fight it? The KB is a nice looking unit for sure. I'm just not impressed with it's performance so far. Maybe with Jeff's innovative mind, he'll resolve the inlet issues as well as all the others and we'll get to see better performance.

Last edited by BLOWNBLUEZ06; 06-30-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

I don't know if the first sentence is a statement or a question?

Fact: Yes I bought his blower in that video and put it on my stock motor.

Fact: The stock motor had 5 ringlands let go.

Fact: I have had one problem after another with my new motor and one driveline issue that had zero to do with the blower.

Fact: Z06wanted had issues with compression and IAT temps as he did not build that motor with a 10.0:1 compression in mind for another project. I did not have IAT temp problems on the initial dyno runs just a driveline problem (clutch).

Fact: You wanted to see a 800 rwhp KB car and I posted a video and a dyno chart.

Assumption: Robert Miller is having issues unless he comes on here and states otherwise.

You come on here and other boards to prove what? To bash an unproven setup? Why might I ask that you go from one KB thread to another doing the same thing? Nobody is bringing you into these discussions. I am glad some people want to take chances in life on new items.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

The reason I spoke about the maxxed out HEaton vs the twin screw was to illustrate to you WHY many people will drop the Roots for the Twin Screw. But again instead of listening to the facts that many of us have laid out, you would rather sit here and argue. At this point whether you believe or not is irrelevant. YOUR opinion of Roots superiority is NOT supported by the facts no matter how much you argue. Here is another parrallel- in the 1400's just because many people thought the world was flat (in the face of FACT I might add) didn't make it so.
Lol i never said roots were better you need to reread what i said. It is just unfair to compare a way overdriven roots charger to a twin screw that is the right size for the setup like you did.

The origonal poster asked if one was much better then the other. And you tried to give him proof by showing garbage for an example. Your second link you posted to "teach" me is good but still is not ideal because KB is going to post the results which will make their blower looks the best. If that test was done by a roots blower company the results on the two 1.5l blowers would have looked much different.

Get off your high horse and your problems that you have with roots blowers and try to help someone and give them honest feedback. That will help him get the best answer.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

I don't know if the first sentence is a statement or a question?

You come on here and other boards to prove what? To bash an unproven setup? Why might I ask that you go from one KB thread to another doing the same thing? Nobody is bringing you into these discussions. I am glad some people want to take chances in life on new items.

Fact: a sentence ending with this ? is a question.

I don't come on to any boards to prove anything. I come on to share information. If someone wants to know my personal experience with a KB supercharger, they're going to get it. We all know that a vendor is motivated to gain business through sales and installations. I am not a vendor nor do I have a business, so my motivation is truth.
Anybody that posts a question that I am able to and have time to help with will get an answer from me. It will be truthful and based on my personal experience or knowledge. That is just as much of an invitation to me as anyone. Unlike other forums that exist that only allow posters to nutswing, but don't allow someone to post a legitimate complaint, this one will allow for both. It's certainly not fair to delete complaints and keep praises and you know it. Why do you insist on coming in to KB threads to praise product that you have yet to do anything significant with? Because 1 car with an overspun blower (which I believe voids the warranty check with Kenne Bell directly for an accurate answer on this) and large displacement posted 800rwhp? If you make any kind of decent #'s with your car, track or dyno, I'll be happy for you and may refer to your #'s in future threads. As of now, we have one untrusted e-bay source and one other car that has made 800 or more rwhp. When you get your car running, you can post up IAT logs and show us that my personal experience with Z06Wanted's car was an isolated incident, but I ask you this: Why did Jeff post up a "fix" for the IAT issue if it wasn't broken in the first place? Why is Jeff trying to work on an unchoked inlet if it isn't restricted in the existing design? If KB gets all of their bugs worked out, then maybe they'll start making some reasonable power. Until then, why do you think it's fair to come on here repeating what a manufacturer tells you rather than speak from personal experience? If anyone wants a big polished blower under their hood for a good show, I wouldn't discourage the purchase of the KB. If they want to make some big numbers at the track or kill others on the street, I'm going to tell them my experience. Before you begin to mouth off regarding my KB experience, I have helped a couple of people out a great deal and worked on tuning one while in the passenger seat, doing WOT runs with the AFR's in order.
I have yet to see anyone in the Corvette world post up decent #'s (even with Jeff's support ) except Jeff, which he quickly abandoned and sold the blower to you. How about you? Now he's been building some custom large displacement engine for the last 6 months or more and I'm willing to bet that it's not going to have an off the shelf, currently available KB on it. I expect it will have a 3.3l with custom this and that.
I have a T6060 transmission, 08Z06 rear, cradle, Textralia Triple disc, and a YSi. Not many C5's with my trans and rear. Not many cars with the Textralia triple. Not many had LSx cars that I had seen at my time of purchase had the YSi Vortech, so yes I've "taken a few chances in life". If someone wants to make 1500rwhp with their car, I won't be recommending my setup either. By the way, did you notice I didn't only mention my setup? I mentioned the ones that have made the #'s.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Well you have some facts mixed up because of what you have read on the boards. Whatever you have against Jeff is between you two and needs to stay off of the boards unless it was business done wrong and there are mitigations for it.

I have personal experience with the blower as I own one..
Old 06-30-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Regular

I have personal experience with the blower as I own one..
Exactly. You own one and have personal experience with it, but no significant #'s to post up. Just like everyone else.

Thanks for making my point more clear.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks! I needed you to point that out. Now that you have done me a huge favor..
Old 06-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Exactly. You own one and have personal experience with it, but no significant #'s to post up. Just like everyone else.

Thanks for making my point more clear.

I couldn't agree more! I have seen several large KB builds with little results. The KB results speak for themselves and will always have its followers, but figured after a few years and several builds we would see more then one single 800rwhp build......

Quick Reply: roots vs twin screw