Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ford GT Engine (interesting boost setup)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeh; I ran a post about this undersquare motor several weeks ago when it first was discussed in the mags...

I was considering a Gen 3, 396 stroker based on a 4.125 stroke and a stock bore at the time and I wanted to know why everone thought this was a dopey idea in view of what Ford was doing with this engine...

Most who commented said the undersquare design was a comprimise that resulted from using the smallish FORD blocks.... they also said some of the drawbacks to an oversquare design can be masked by the 4 valve design and the blower set up.

Like most of Henry's better ideas, you can cover lots of design flaws with a high sticker (E.g., $125,000... )
Old 11-17-2003, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FAST LS1
The C5 guys could get a whipple to fit and work much better than the current Magnuson but no one seems interested even though it's a big improvement.
Explain why a Whipple is better than a Magnuson... I thought they were both esentially the same thing.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Whipple is a twin screw, and magnuson is a roots type blower (lobes as opposed to screws).

Or so I believe. Twin screw is *much* more effecient than a roots type blower.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:23 PM
Teching In

its not the exact lightning motor. the lightning motor is sohc and the gt is dohc [like the cobras]
Old 11-17-2003, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by grooves12
Explain why a Whipple is better than a Magnuson... I thought they were both esentially the same thing.
The cases may look the same, but the way they work is totally different. A roots blower has 2 paddles in it that blow air into the engine. A screw blower actually compresses air as it forces it into the engine. This pdf file explains all the advantages of a screw blower over a roots blower like, lower discharge tempratures, straight air path compared to forcing the air around the sides of the case on a roots, and the ability to hold a boost level even at high rpm's unlike a roots.
http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ge...romcatalog.pdf
Old 11-18-2003, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very cool article. An interesting read. thanks for posting it up.

Mike

Quick Reply: Ford GT Engine (interesting boost setup)