Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

busted 90mm FAST intake

Old 07-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default busted 90mm FAST intake

I have a big problem......with my Transam
I have a 90 mm fast intake on my 6.0 liter w/a D1SC procharger. I had it to a car show the other day and went to start it up for the drag race and it made a bang similar to a backfire. I accidentally left off of the key as it started to fire and the motor kicked back a bit. I then tried starting it again and it hit the rev limiter real fast. After chasing the problem thinking it could be the throttle postioning sensor I found that the whole back of the intake was cracked and broke off.
Any idea what could have caused this? I checked the injectors to see if they bleed off and they seem to be good!
Any information appreciated
Old 07-02-2009, 12:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wonder if your meth caused it?
Here is vid of a nasty nitrous backfire..

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/243822...ine_explosion/

Can meth backfire like nitrous if its pooled in the intake..? I don't know much about running meth. I was going to run 50/50 stuff wasn't too crazy about pure meth as its so flammable but didn't think it was explosive.Still something made your engine backfire.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Were you running pure meth injection or low concentrations of water?
"While all components of Snow Performance systems are designed to be able to handle pure methanol, it is not recommended for a number of reasons.

• Safety: Pure methanol is easy to ignite and burns with an almost invisible flame.
• Performance: Water absorbs twice as much heat as methanol in the intake and inside the combustion chamber. Water cannot be flash-ignited, so has what is almost an infinite octane number. In the government studies for WWII piston-powered aircraft, 50/50 water-methanol was found to be the best fluid to use for auxiliary fluid injection.
• Tuning and Engine reliability: Injecting 50/50 water-methanol will prevent over-injection. If too much is injected, it will quench the flame front and the engine will bog and lose power. If too much straight methanol is injected, this will not happen, as methanol is very forgiving of rich mixtures. This could instead lead to explosive backfires, cylinder wash, etc. which will not happen when 50% or more water is in the mixture.
"
Old 07-02-2009, 07:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...cs-inside.html
Old 07-02-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Anyone else run burst kit and have this happen at 10psi or way lower than rated ? Curious. I will be taking mine to likely 12psi in next month and will report back.I would likely put in metal solid pieces where bust panels go.Don't really think need bust panels for direct port.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Well looks like might still need burst panels for direct port..
Here is thread with nitrous backfire on direct port. Thought only single wet nozzle types could backfire like this.
Pics are on second page can maybe photobucket and post it up later but its off topic of course for this thread.

So in my case looks like have no choice but to run burst panels and really hope they don't pop at 10psi. I need to be able to run about 15psi thru my setup to be happy camper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: busted 90mm FAST intake