Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What forced induction to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What forced induction to go with?

Ok I have a 02 ss camaro, 3500 converter, 3" ypipe. Car goes 7:90's in 1/8th not tuned on 17's drag radials. I need a tune, but haven't got it done yet.
I want to go faster, but will leave the stock motor together as of now cause of low mileage car and don't want to go into the motor. I have been wanting to put the bottle on it, but the closer I get the more I think of going with a procharger or twins. I know nitrous helps, seen it. But which would be the best for stock motor for overall times. Don't care about hp numbers as long as it is quick. How much power can a stock motor hold without the risk of blowing it up?
Old 07-17-2009, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

with f/i it comes down to the tune. if u get a good tuner u can pull some decent hp out of it. but wats ur budget?
Old 07-17-2009, 05:01 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=798

This is the complete ATI ProCharger kit that I recommend. Bob
Old 07-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Don't really have a budget. Just wanting to know what everybody is getting good results with. I know what to do with a mustang. Not so much with a camaro. So looking for advice. I don't want to sink some change in something that is going to be slow or not as good as the other.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Launching!

Anymore suggestions?
Old 07-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Launching!

maggie
Old 07-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Huh? What kind of reply is that.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:17 AM
Teching In

I think its all a matter of preference.. from what i've been reading with a turbo, its a lot of extra parts (vs. blower) but after its all in, its easier to upgrade, but that probably depends on how its made and all that and personal opinion. I dont really know much about forced induction but I got a lot of info from the stickies. I think I want to go with a procharger but since my application is different (ls1/6-speed into a '79 camaro) there isn't really a bolt on application and I dont exactally have a way to fab anything like a bracket.. so I may have to go with a turbo in the end. from what I can tell there isn't much, if any, performance difference.. just pros and cons and you decide which you want to keep. how much hp a stock motor can handle is probably a lot to do with the tune if you want to keep it all stock.. of course you cant be throwing 22psi in a stock motor but if I remember there was a guy that had 10psi and I think most of the time people run ~8psi in a stock ls1.. not sure if it was unsafe or not or if the engine is still together.

I may be wrong, but it might also depend on your shift points as to what would help to give you a faster time.. since turbos take time to spool and make power, you probably want to shift in higher rpms, and blowers make boost at idle so you dont have the turbo lag to handle and you can shift at lower rpms.. but that is just from a quick thought.. I haven't gotten much into forced induction but I want to.. just no money at the time. I plan on talking to tick performance (sponsor here and a local shop to me) about it with my goals i have in mind when I can spend the money but again, do a quick read through some stickies, it should help
Old 07-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Yea, I originally wanted nitrous on the car cause I have seen how good it does on a ls1 car. I have had twin turbos and a supercharger, but they were on a mustang and a lightning. Like the supercharger cause of the instant hit, but the turbos were fun with the boost build up and all the power it made. Just don't know where to go with the camaro.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Launching!

both have thier pros and cons, i wouldnt trade my turbo setup for anything, but if your looking for simplicity buy the procharger kit. a lot of people argue how turbos are more efficient and whatnot but the fact is there are street cars pushing the limits with both setups. I like being able to adjust the boost from the drivers seat but i gotta admit listining to the bypass on an F1 is pretty badass too.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by crf538
both have thier pros and cons, i wouldnt trade my turbo setup for anything, but if your looking for simplicity buy the procharger kit. a lot of people argue how turbos are more efficient and whatnot but the fact is there are street cars pushing the limits with both setups. I like being able to adjust the boost from the drivers seat but i gotta admit listining to the bypass on an F1 is pretty badass too.
Twin Turbos ... THe simple fact that you can adjust boost on the fly w/o messing with belts or bottles is great ....My twin tial bov's and wastegates never gets old, especially when I scare ppl on the road

i make 668whp/682wtq @ 10 psi daily driven .. with lots of room to grow ...
Old 07-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Yea, I do like being able to adjust the boost and all of that.