Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need silicone or rubber Coupler/Reducer

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 01:25 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Need silicone or rubber Coupler/Reducer

I am running a Spectacle Solutions lid on my '01 Camaro SS with a Vortech kit. I just purchased an 85mm Z06 MAF from a local club member. To get the new MAF hooked up to the lid, I need a reducer that goes from 3.75" ID to 3.50" ID and is FIVE inches long.

I have found this exact reducer, except it is only 3" long. I have visited a number of stores, websites, and made nearly a dozen phone calls. It seems that couplers and reducers have a standard length of 3" - I didn't know, I've just worked with kits as delivered from the mfg. on my cars.

I called one well-known purveyor of couplers and they do ZERO custom sizes.

Anyway, here is a picture of the coupler that I need, but in 5" length. If anyone can steer me towards a shop or mfg. that can provide it, I would greatly appreciate it. I am more than ready to hook up the new MAF and hit the dyno to put the new MAF tables in the PCM and see what happens.
Attached Thumbnails Need silicone or rubber Coupler/Reducer-reducer_black_picture.jpg  
Old 07-22-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Todd...I was thinking maybe you could utilize one of those couplers to get two silicone hoses to connect together. Might be ugly with all the additional clamps, but might work.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:26 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pat-Man
Hey Todd...I was thinking maybe you could utilize one of those couplers to get two silicone hoses to connect together. Might be ugly with all the additional clamps, but might work.
Yeah. Actually what I am going to do if I cannot find a proper coupler is to get a piece of Gates "Vulco" hose that is 3.75" ID and 5" long and clamp it on the MAf end, then take a 1" wide piece of 3.5" hose (that I already have) and put it on the neck of the lid, then slide the 3.75" over it and clamp it down. From the outside it will just look like a straight piece of 3.75" hose and it will only use one clamp on either end (no extra clamps in other words).

Of course, O'Reilly doesn't have the 3.75" in stock. I'll order it soon if I can't get a real reducer.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Regular

Maybe you should just ditch the MAF with all the problems you've been having with it lately.

I know I'm no help at all.

I think a reducer a straight 3.5 coupler with an aluminum joiner, or like you said if you can use the 3.75" over a short piece of 3.5" on the lid would be your best bet.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:51 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Aster
I know I'm no help at all.
Usually, ... no.

you can use the 3.75" over a short piece of 3.5" on the lid
Yeah, it's going in that direction. I ordered the 3.75" stuff from O'Reilly. Should be here Saturday. However, if I can find a proper coupler/reducer, I'll get that too. You know how particular I am.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:17 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a place I have saved that does custom lengths, but it takes them a little time to make them and they are also a little more expensive so if you want to I can give you the info when I get home or you can just keep going in the direction you are going I am with Aster ditch the MAF but that is just me I love my SD tuning. That MAF won't gain you anything as you will still max it out and have to lie to the PCM. But good luck I am not one to tell someone not to do anything so let us know what you gained.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:34 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Jeff, please send me that info. I would appreciate it.

The set up on this car is very mild compared to either of yours. Still, it pegged out the 75mm MAF at a couple points during the pull. I may investigate going SD, but I think the Z06 MAF can handle my current combo.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:33 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Why do you think the 85mm MAF will help over the stock one? I'm not tryin to be sarcastic, im serious. What makes it better on a FI car?
Old 07-22-2009, 08:25 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Why do you think the 85mm MAF will help over the stock one? I'm not tryin to be sarcastic, im serious. What makes it better on a FI car?
Still, it pegged out the 75mm MAF at a couple points during the pull.
My system is a draw through, not a blow through (MAF is before the blower), and according to the data log, the 75mm MAF was a restriction. I think the 85mm may not peg out. I picked it up from Pat-Man for a very fair price, so it's worth a shot.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:43 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Please let us know if that helps at all. I hope it does work like you are wanting it to. I wouldnt think that it would, but I'd like to see for sure. Good luck man
Old 07-23-2009, 01:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

audi guys make their own search around and you can find the info
Old 07-23-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another solution would be a metal transition. I had to use one on my ride since I couldn't find a silicone transition.
spd exhaust sells really nice ones,
http://www.mygazines.com/title/2463

CT350-375 is the part number you'd need. They are about 9 inches in overall length I just cut off what I didn't need, perfect fit and it was a bunch cheaper then having a custom silicone piece made.

Have you tried calling hose techniques? They offer custom couplers-1-866-GET-HOSE (438-4673).
Hope this helps
Old 07-23-2009, 02:48 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Thanks frcefed98. I called Hose Techniques and unfortunately they will only do custom pieces in production runs of 50 or more.

I'll look at the SPD catalog and check out the part you mentioned.

I may just end up using the piece of Gates Vulco hose that I have on order. I was using a straight piece of 3.5" ID for several years and it worked great, so I am pretty confident the 3.75" stuff will be fine too. I'll just have to make an adapter from a piece of my existing hose to make the end of the airlid fit snugly.

See the Red MAF and 3.5" Vulco hose? It will be replaced by a Z06 MAF and 3.75" hose.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is what the steel transitions look like

So get basically what you are looking for, just cut to fit and join with a 1in 3.5 and 1in 3.75 piece of hose on each end.

Or the easiest plan seems to be what you just said, just sleeve it and tighten her down, being on the intake side and not the pressure side is also a plus
Old 07-24-2009, 01:46 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Thanks frcefed, I'll keep that as a reserve idea.

Inspector12, I may eventually go to a SD tune. Not looking forward to pulling off much of the blower kit to remove the intake manifold and swap in a 2 bar MAP sensor. I'm always working on one or the other of these cars, so not excited about adding more projects right now.

I just got in my 8 rib conversion kit for my Procharged car, so that one is next in line to go under the knife.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:42 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Here is what I ended up with. Had to make my own couplers between lid and MAF and then between MAF and intake pipe to the blower.

EDIT: We took the car out for a little drive with the data logger hooked up and it is flowing a lot more air! Not only have I swapped the 75mm Granatelli MAF for the 85mm ZO6 MAF, but I also recently swapped out the stock, untouched 75mm TB for a smooth 80mm unit. Will try to hit the dyno this week with a buddy who knows his way around HP Tuners. Looking forward to seeing a power gain.
Attached Thumbnails Need silicone or rubber Coupler/Reducer-zo6-maf-new-couplers.jpg  

Last edited by TWS; 07-27-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear Todd. When are you and Brian hitting the dyno again? Would love to meet you up there and check it out. I should be getting my hoses and piping Friday for my car.

- Patrick
Old 07-28-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

Looks good Todd, and like Pat said, let us know when you're heading to the dyno.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:04 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Thanks guys. Most likely Thursday or Friday morning, 8:00 AM-ish.

I am going to check with Blacker to make sure he is good to go and then I'll call Jeff and book the dyno.

Quick Reply: Need silicone or rubber Coupler/Reducer