Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Couple of questions regarding cam selection and nitrous with FI

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Couple of questions regarding cam selection and nitrous with FI

I currently have a Magnacharger mp122 for my forged 370, but after doing a lot of research, it seems that 650rwhp will probably be my limit with the blower, so I began looking for a Kenne Bell 2.8 to use instead. I spoke to a guy that was running one on his 6.0, and he said that the IATs were rediculous at 15psi, seeing 258* even on meth. On top of that, he (as well as almost everyone else) also complained about how bad Kenne Bell's customer service. I was planning on having two "settings" on the power levels, so to speak. The street friendly setting, which would put me around 600rwhp, and the hardcore setting, at around 750-800+ rwhp. With the 2.8 KB, I figured I would have a "street" pulley and a "hardcore" pulley. Since that fellow seemed to be having a lot of problems from the KB, I've been thinking about keeping the mp122 that I currently have, and adding a 150 shot of nitrous. That seems to make a lot more sense to me, since I'm sure I'd rarely use that much horsepower, but how risky is it? I would have it professionally tuned on a dyno if I decide to go this route, btw. I'm curious, is there any more strain on the engine if I have 650hp + 150hp shot of nitrous to make 800hp versus simply making the 800hp from all boost (and most likely meth)? I believe I read that nitrous works well with boost because it helps cool the charge, but I never really researched it that much before.

And the cam questions:
This setup is going into a Datsun 280z, so I'm assuming that I should have more than enough low-end torque to be happy; I'm looking for a camshaft that will have a power range from approx. 3k - 7k since the blower supposedly falls off in the higher rpms - any problems with this logic? Also, if I end up going the nitrous/blower route, should I buy a nitrous cam or blower cam? I would assume a blower cam since that would be 95% of my driving anyways, but then I was thinking that even with a nitrous cam, the supercharged 370 should still make more than enough power to be happy on the street, and then when I hit the juice, having a nitrous cam would optimize every bit of horsepower. This is all theoretical to me, I have no experience to back it up.

Lemme know guys!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Bump - anyone?
Old 08-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well a nitrous cam and blower cam tend to be pretty similar. I would take a look at the Futral F7 Cam, its the one I plan to run. I've heard of good gains with it NA and even better with FI. Since you have a 370, you may want something a bit larger.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cam for normal use, because the amount of time you will spend with the nitrous on is probably <1%. Like MadIceV8 says above, they are very similar. With a positive displacement blower you can go a bit more aggressive on the cam than a centri. I would take a hard look at the Futral F9 with that blower, and also talk with Bob at EPP.

Jim
Old 08-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

F9 sounds good - I'll look into it some more. Thanks

Quick Reply: Couple of questions regarding cam selection and nitrous with FI