Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Piston to valve contact, are my pistons trash now?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well here's the other side, all in all it was 7 intake valves bent. I think I said earlier it was exhaust valves but I looked again and they were ingtake valves. Wonder why i had boost bleed!
Attached Thumbnails Piston to valve contact, are my pistons trash now?-picture-006.jpg   Piston to valve contact, are my pistons trash now?-picture-007.jpg   Piston to valve contact, are my pistons trash now?-picture-008.jpg  
Old 08-17-2009, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls1290
I agree with everything you said except the pistons. A gouge will take will create a nasty hot spot.
Good point.

Jim
Old 08-17-2009, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
Well here's the other side, all in all it was 7 intake valves bent. I think I said earlier it was exhaust valves but I looked again and they were ingtake valves. Wonder why i had boost bleed!
you had no valvetrain control...take a few intake springs off and have them pressure checked...it'll help diagnose what caused it...
Old 08-17-2009, 01:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fireball
you had no valvetrain control...take a few intake springs off and have them pressure checked...it'll help diagnose what caused it...
The valve contact I'm pretty sure happened about 2 years ago when I was running nitrous. I had the rev limiter set high and missed a gear, it revved up and hit the rev limiter and popped as it did it. I have been hunting boost bleed for a while & even suspected a bent intake valve but everyone said that it would run rough and pop all the time. https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ake-valve.html

Anyway, a week before I overboosted I installed a set of Patriot extreme springs so I doubt I floated the valves then. To just look at the heads the valves they look as if they have never made contact. I know they are probably bent but to look at them they look like they are seating just fine, I have driven it twice after the overboost and it runs/idles & drives like it always has.

Last edited by WS6HUMMER; 08-17-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So this is good news if the valves are bent. Throw the other heads on there and see if you find some cheap power. If they have been like that for a while then they should be fine for another while. The ****'s stock anyway so if it does blow up, it's not the end of the world.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
So this is good news if the valves are bent. Throw the other heads on there and see if you find some cheap power. If they have been like that for a while then they should be fine for another while. The ****'s stock anyway so if it does blow up, it's not the end of the world.
Exactly how I feel at this point

Quick Reply: Piston to valve contact, are my pistons trash now?