Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

rebuilding a procharger

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 03:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuilding a procharger

HAs anyone rebuilt their procharger, mine is making more noise than it did before and it definately needs a new bearing or something. Has anyone done this, and how much does it cost?? I also need to replace one of the idler pullies but my main concern is the blower. How hard is the blower to rebuild?
Old 11-23-2003, 08:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think ATI will rebuild it for you at $75 or $80 rebuild charge (incudes seals) and cost on what ever parts are replaced. They have no instructions or provisions for someone to rebuild their own.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I helped a friend rebuild his D1 - The seals will cross over to a Chicago Rawhide brand seal - you can get new ones from them (Purvis Bearing handled that for us). The bearings were actually ABEC-1 units - you can replace them based on the part number, but given the fact that they were not very good we went ahead and swapped them over to an ABEC-3 speed rated unit. The thrust bearing wasn't even thrust rated, so we swapped that over to a thrust rated unit also.

The seal and outside bearing are easy to swap out - the inner bearings you need to take off the impeller, which is a bit of a bitch. The one we pulled off had a bit of a press fit (not much actually), but this was compensated for with a bunch of red loctite (from ati - nice!). A combination of a press and *mild* heat from a torch was required to this off (heat mainly to break the red-loctite, as we found out later). This was probably the most nerver wracking part.

Blower is working fine now though. Basically you pull it apart and all the part number will cross-reference at a good bearing shop.