Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pics of major defect i found in APS turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of major defect i found in APS turbo!

Check this ******* **** out!!! I found this defect today while changing over coolant fittings to my new LG turbos LOL It looks like whom ever made these turbos for APS stopped short of opening up the coolant passage on my passanger side turbo which equates to hardly if any coolant passing threw these turbos (AT ALL!!!) because of them being ran in series. No wonder these oil return rubber hoses were getting so hot and buldging the way they did. I must have figuired when installing these APS turtbos that it was a type of metering orfice that they designed into there turbos? I was wronge now that i see that the LG's are opened up (ALL THE WAY) LOL
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...view=slideshow
Theres 3 pics of the defective unopened coolant side with the tiny holes and the other pic is the other side which is totally opened
Old 08-17-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Nice find. I'm so glad I didn't buy one of those kits.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
Nice find. I'm so glad I didn't buy one of those kits.
I got the kit for $4500 and put another $2800 onto these bad *** LG turbos So,the way i gotta look at it is i now payed the full price for a now bad *** TT setup LOL The kit is nice besides the turbos LOL Which is like saying a supercharger kit is nice besides the supercharger LOL Yea,I wish i could go back in time on this one ,,,and just keep my INCON TT that i sold to get this kit.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Teching In

believe it or not thats how there supposed to be i have the extreme kit i called aps about it
Old 08-17-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by irocz600hp
believe it or not thats how there supposed to be i have the extreme kit i called aps about it
Just in the one turbo? LOL. My LG's (BOTH) are wide open for cooling! Really doesnt matter anyways LOLthey didnt even hold up to the 9PSI i was running anyways
Old 08-18-2009, 07:43 AM
11 Second Club

<<<knock on wood>>> mine are still holding up ok and im running about 9psi. i have noticed the hoses starting to bulge a little though. ill need to get in there and run a hose with some AN fitting maybe.
what did ya do about yours?? have any pics?

Edit::: just saw your other thread regarding oil draining...nevermind.

Last edited by TNTramair; 08-18-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine are still alive at about 3000 miles and 8psi. Still plan on LG upgrade over the winter though.
Yeah pretty sure mine were also like Barnats picture. I am not even running water cooling on mine since the one was internally cracked and not sure which one. It let coolant into my oil. Caught it within first minute of start up fortunately.
You can run the mits 20g oil cooling only. Water cooling is nice and has some advantages but oil is the essential cooling.

I will be changing out all my oil returns to stainless with an fittings. Running my currently in the box scavenger pump at some point if think need it.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TNTramair
<<<knock on wood>>> mine are still holding up ok and im running about 9psi. i have noticed the hoses starting to bulge a little though. ill need to get in there and run a hose with some AN fitting maybe.
what did ya do about yours?? have any pics?

Edit::: just saw your other thread regarding oil draining...nevermind.
This is what im doing LOL Theres no way to get a steel braided line to bend like that bullshit APS rubber oil return line and get a drop or decline to the oil pan. I was under my ride for 4 hours looking at it 2 weeks ago and a hard line maybe? ,but your still not going to have hardly if any drop at all from the turbos to the oil pan! I finally gave up trying to make the APS gravity idea work with this kit and am installing one of my Johnson's HTP scavanging pumps with my new LG turbos and can finally say its done and start enjoying my ride instead of working on it LOL
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...view=slideshow
Old 08-18-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Mine are still alive at about 3000 miles and 8psi. Still plan on LG upgrade over the winter though.
Yeah pretty sure mine were also like Barnats picture. I am not even running water cooling on mine since the one was internally cracked and not sure which one. It let coolant into my oil. Caught it within first minute of start up fortunately.
You can run the mits 20g oil cooling only. Water cooling is nice and has some advantages but oil is the essential cooling.

I will be changing out all my oil returns to stainless with an fittings. Running my currently in the box scavenger pump at some point if think need it.
I agree with ya Al ,,,,if they were OEM MIT turbos LOL which there not ! and check out the pics i posted showing that tiny *** oiling hole inside the turbo oil passage that i posted today and showing how the shaft was over heated and blued in color do to oil starvation LOL You wont see that tiny *** oiling hole on these LG turbos! Ide bet anything,,, if you were to pull one of your inlet hoses and feel the compressor wheel for play, i think youll be shocked at the amount of play you allready have in your turbo!You shouldnt be able to really feel anyside to side play
Old 08-18-2009, 09:32 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The next time you take up close pictures, press the little button that looks like a flower on your camera.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

I cant see **** in those pics???
Old 08-19-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ed buddy I do have to agree with Kwikar.You really should get a new camera.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:47 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
The next time you take up close pictures, press the little button that looks like a flower on your camera.
Yup...macro
Old 08-20-2009, 01:42 AM
9 Second Club

im looking at my lg turbos right now and they look way bettter than the APS junk turbos as far as mechine work on the center housing

my LS2 and LG turbos should be in 2 weeks stand by for that post LOL

Quick Reply: Pics of major defect i found in APS turbo!