Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Couple vortech questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Couple vortech questions

I have recently recieved a Vortech G trim for my car. The kit was used and im currently piecing together everything i need to install it on my car. My first question is the Damper assembly. The kit came with the outer crank pulley, but not the damper hub assembly. The previous owner is trying to located this item for me, however if he is unable to get it is there another assembly i would be able to use...perhaps the ATI unit? Also i don't run powersteering on my car, and have no intention of reinstalling it either....will this be a problem with this kit? I also do not have the T-rex inline pump, but will be installing the Racetronix pump, with the hotwire kit. Shooting for 500rwhp, will i need larger injectors then the supplied 38lbs ones? All info is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:13 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

A Racetronix pump w/hotwire and 38lb injectors will be enough for 500rwhp. Just max out the blower with ~2.65" pulley and you'll be fine.

I think you'll be ok not running power steering. Obviously you'll beed to route that belt differently.

As far as the pulley, I'm not sure. However, I think the Vortech kit may use an ATI balancer anyway.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss1
A Racetronix pump w/hotwire and 38lb injectors will be enough for 500rwhp. Just max out the blower with ~2.65" pulley and you'll be fine.

I think you'll be ok not running power steering. Obviously you'll beed to route that belt differently.

As far as the pulley, I'm not sure. However, I think the Vortech kit may use an ATI balancer anyway.

Well the pulley issue may be questionable, i currently have a 2.75" pulley on the head unit. I am not sure the pulley size ill will need with stock bottom end, ARP rod bolts, Speed Inc SC2 cam(224/232 114), LQ9 317 castings, MLS gasket, LS6 intake, ported stock TB, Edelbrock 1 3/4- 1 7/8 LT's, TDs, OBX 3" core FMIC. 500rwhp through TH400 unlocked may be a hefty goal for this little G trim...Im not really sure. Hopefully the previous owner finds the hub damper assm, since a new one from ATI is an unexpected cost i could use towards the other parts i need.

I currently have a Z06 85mm MAF, will this be a restriction at this power level? I am trying to decide whether i should go with a SD tune, or keep the MAF.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:50 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

You can go smaller on the pulley if you want. Vortech doesn't offer a pulley smaller than 2.75" (2.70" in the "High Traction" series), but you can overspin the blower for the short period of time that your engine will be at peak rpm. Fwiw, one person on here has run as small as a 2.50" pulley.

With an FMIC you will lose some boost through all the piping. I'd guess you'll probably see somewhere around 5psi with the blower maxed out.

Since you have ARP rod bolts, you should be safe, but the pistons are stll the weak link. Your cam is only a couple of degrees larger than mine with the same split and LSA. Compression is probably lower based off the 317 heads. It's hard to guess the power it will make, especially through an automatic.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I found the answer on the pulley question, ATI does offer the same damper that comes with the vortech kit.

SS1 what kind of power do you make with the G trim?
Old 08-26-2009, 01:45 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

537rwhp through cats, and 12bolt with super thick gear oil. Other mods are in my sig above. The guy I bought the car from had it dyno'd at 560rwhp, this was without cats and on a different dyno. The member on here who ran the 2.50" pulley has said in the past he made 600rwhp. That's the range you should expect to be in, around 500rwhp more or less.

Quick Reply: Couple vortech questions