Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Discovered APS turbo fllaw?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovered APS turbo fllaw?

Well, after waiting a few extra days for (LG Motorsports) to send me my LG turbo (oil feed banjo bolts), NOTE! Which are diffrently threaded then the APS ones by the way.(THANK GOD) Ive think ive found out why these turbos have been failling at such a high rate!
If you look at the pics ive entered here ,you can CLEARLY SEE !!that the orfice of the left APS bango bolt is CLEARLY to dam small! I tryed using my smallest drill bit which was a 1/16 and it would not go in the hole ,so im guessing its atleast a 1/32 or smaller and is clearly smaller then the oil feed orfice in the APS center cartraige. I couldnt jack off to the amount of oil coming out of this tiny ******* hole uder engine pressure, let alone oil a turbo. Why would anyone restrict a oil feed line before it reaches it meterering orfice (which is in the turbo by the way). I was clearly shocked to see such a small hole and restriction before the turbo.This would explain the over heating (blueing color) of my bad APS turbo shafts that i disassembled and photoed for you guys earlyer. NOW!!!look at the LG bango bolt opening,,,,,,Ive got a 13/64 bit in this hole LOL Enough said!
Also ,I wanted to show you guys that are thinking of upgrading to the LG;'s turbos, there heavy duty V bands that are alot thicker and have a much bigger bolt in them my APS ones. My APS ones keep getting loose and i couldnt really tighten then without bending that garbage little *** bolt that came on them LOL
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...lts%20V-bands/
Old 08-27-2009, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

scary
Old 08-27-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

So do you think the holes should be drilled out? Ill have mine off tomorrow anyway.....

BTW, I have the C5 kit and Im pretty sure the banjo bolts in my kit is for oil leaving the turbo to go to the scavenge pump, not the oil feed line?
Old 08-27-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02blackbeauty19
So do you think the holes should be drilled out? Ill have mine off tomorrow anyway.....

BTW, I have the C5 kit and Im pretty sure the banjo bolts in my kit is for oil leaving the turbo to go to the scavenge pump, not the oil feed line?
I definatly would !The turbos are internaly orficed anyways. Hopefully no damage yet!
Old 08-28-2009, 12:31 AM
10 Second Club

I'm glad to hear LG has helped you out. I wanted them to build me two turbos and I still can't get Louis or the turbo guy there to call me back. What size cartridges did you go to?
Old 08-28-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

I'm going to measure mine and drill them if nessisary tonight when I put the new turbowerx pump on
Old 08-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Launching!

I think I may have drill mine out. Any idea on how big to drill it out.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by myfast70
I'm glad to hear LG has helped you out. I wanted them to build me two turbos and I still can't get Louis or the turbo guy there to call me back. What size cartridges did you go to?
Im pretty sure he only had one replacement APS type made for us, but can have diffrent sized turbos custom made for you if you were wanting to stay stock sized. I got the instock 60lbers.Just call and ask for him personally, is what i did!
Old 08-28-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RUNINHOT
I think I may have drill mine out. Any idea on how big to drill it out.
The LGs banjo bolt holes are a 13/64 sized hole! As long as its not smaller them the orfice in the turbo. IMO if these turbos have allready been ran on the car with these fucked APS banjo bolts ??? there probaly allready damaged IMO, because theres no way on earth these turbos were being oiled properly with this type of restriction in the oil feed line !Even a bent in half oil feed line would have given more oil to these turbos then these APS banjo bolts did!
Old 08-28-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

So drill one bolt hole out for more oiling and thats all the APS kits need?
Old 08-28-2009, 10:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. While I doubt this is the cause of all the problems it certainly raises some questions.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GrahamHill
So drill one bolt hole out for more oiling and thats all the APS kits need?
I didnt say that!!! LOL There still garbage knock off turbos. They just may last you, Maybe ?LOL Thats just one flaw I found !LOL If you were to pull a turbo, you'll see a half assed coolant hole on the one side of your drivers side coolant passage hole (On mine anyways) My drivers side coolant passages were both opened up ((all the way))? When i pulled the passanger side,,, it looked as if they forgot or just stopped machinening it open ,((like it should be)). Heres some blurry pics of that!Another member all ready has called APS about this and they said its normal LOL Its normal only on one turbo to not have a coolant passage opened up? LOL Maybe the manufacturer of these knock offs thought that this was the oil passage side and didnt know it was the coolant side? Who knows?
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...20APS%20turbo/

Last edited by barnat; 08-28-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by barnat
I couldnt jack off to the amount of oil coming out of this tiny ******* hole
Definitely sounds like a personal problem, not APS
Old 08-29-2009, 01:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was installing mine, I noticed this RIGHT away, and if theres something I dont want to **** up on a turbo car, its the oiling system for the turbos. I drilled mine out to about the size of yours. But, i still dont think that why the turbos are failing so much. There just really cheap design. But also, barnat, would you mind PMing me the size of those LG turbos, and the price please? Thanks,
Old 08-30-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

I just put the new Turbowerx pump on friday night and replaced all the rubber lines with SS braided ones.

I pulled my banjo bolts out and I had 4 larger diameter holes in each bolt. Im not sure if mine have been replaced before to an upgraded bolt but I know that those holes were plenty big for sufficient oiling
Old 08-30-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02blackbeauty19
I just put the new Turbowerx pump on friday night and replaced all the rubber lines with SS braided ones.

I pulled my banjo bolts out and I had 4 larger diameter holes in each bolt. Im not sure if mine have been replaced before to an upgraded bolt but I know that those holes were plenty big for sufficient oiling
See its stupid **** like this that may be causeing alot of the turbo failures on these APS turbos They prpobably orded like 20,000 of these banjo bolts at one time and never looked at them before putting them in the kits?Its really weird yours are opened and others are not?To bad yopu didnt take pics of them before reinstallinmg, just to show how inconsistant these oil bolts are!
Old 08-30-2009, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by barnat
See its stupid **** like this that may be causeing alot of the turbo failures on these APS turbos They prpobably orded like 20,000 of these banjo bolts at one time and never looked at them before putting them in the kits?Its really weird yours are opened and others are not?To bad yopu didnt take pics of them before reinstallinmg, just to show how inconsistant these oil bolts are!
I actually have them back out to get a couple more AN fittings for the new pump. I can most likely get pics up tomorrow.

Also, I dont know if it is an APS issue because I bought my kit second hand. I did have to get my turbos rebuilt right after I got it installed because the previous owner placed TINY nitrous jets in the oil feed lines

All is good now, and shouldnt have any smoking issues with freshly rebuilt turbos
Old 08-31-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any pics of the scavenger pump install? Where did you pull power for it..? Where did you mount it. Have same pump.
What size lines. So did you gu all an everywhere? Slowboy Racing has an turbo oil return outlets.So did you simply y from the turbos to the pump and then block one return in the pan .

It would seem that oil restriction could be reason some of these aps turbos are dying very early mabye some got the restricted banjos and some didn't. Definitely one possibilty . Why have some died in few hundred miles and mine have gone 4000 miles and Huggers have gone 20,000 miles and few others think went pretty good miles. Very inconsistent but insuffiicient oiling can definitely kill the turbos. Should kill mine even faster as haven't been using the water cooling for 4000 miles either.

Non bb turbos usually require a lot of oil. Its the bb ones that need a restrictor.

And yours Barat sure looked like they were heat damaged.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Any pics of the scavenger pump install? Where did you pull power for it..? Where did you mount it. Have same pump.
What size lines. So did you gu all an everywhere? Slowboy Racing has an turbo oil return outlets.So did you simply y from the turbos to the pump and then block one return in the pan .

It would seem that oil restriction could be reason some of these aps turbos are dying very early mabye some got the restricted banjos and some didn't. Definitely one possibilty . Why have some died in few hundred miles and mine have gone 4000 miles and Huggers have gone 20,000 miles and few others think went pretty good miles. Very inconsistent but insuffiicient oiling can definitely kill the turbos. Should kill mine even faster as haven't been using the water cooling for 4000 miles either.

Non bb turbos usually require a lot of oil. Its the bb ones that need a restrictor.

And yours Barat sure looked like they were heat damaged.
I tapped into the same power wires from the old pump and mounted it to the same bracket as the old pump. I should be able to get pics tonight when all my AN fittings are done. Ill be running all -10 lines
Old 08-31-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oops you are corvette ..sorry thought you were f body.

Quick Reply: Discovered APS turbo fllaw?