Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Discovered APS turbo fllaw?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02blackbeauty19
I actually have them back out to get a couple more AN fittings for the new pump. I can most likely get pics up tomorrow.

Also, I dont know if it is an APS issue because I bought my kit second hand. I did have to get my turbos rebuilt right after I got it installed because the previous owner placed TINY nitrous jets in the oil feed lines

All is good now, and shouldnt have any smoking issues with freshly rebuilt turbos
They couldnt have been smaller then the APS banjo bolt holes ??LOL I couldnt even get 1/16 drill bit to slide into mine LOL
Old 09-01-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Here is a pic of my bolt

Old 09-01-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats the opening what all APS kits should have right there! (******* APS) Im so glad that the upgraded LG turbo (oil feed inlets) are a diffrent thread then the APS bango bolts,THANK GOD! Because I probably wouldnt have paid that that much attention to it and just installed them. More then likely,,,, I probably would have been posting later (LOL) how my LG turbos went on me LOL I just cant beleive APS knowingly or unknowingly would restrict the oil feed line with such a tiny orfic in there bango bolts AND TO BOOT!!they put the right coolant fittings in our kits,,, but restricted the coolant by not opening up the turbo's coolant passages all the way THEN!!!!Used a knock off turbo for the iceing on the cake LOL And everyones wondering why these turbos are failing at such a high rate.Go figuire huh ?LOL
Old 09-02-2009, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by barnat
Thats the opening what all APS kits should have right there! (******* APS) Im so glad that the upgraded LG turbo (oil feed inlets) are a diffrent thread then the APS bango bolts,THANK GOD! Because I probably wouldnt have paid that that much attention to it and just installed them. More then likely,,,, I probably would have been posting later (LOL) how my LG turbos went on me LOL I just cant beleive APS knowingly or unknowingly would restrict the oil feed line with such a tiny orfic in there bango bolts AND TO BOOT!!they put the right coolant fittings in our kits,,, but restricted the coolant by not opening up the turbo's coolant passages all the way THEN!!!!Used a knock off turbo for the iceing on the cake LOL And everyones wondering why these turbos are failing at such a high rate.Go figuire huh ?LOL
Okay, so what you are saying is that the banjo bolts don't have a large enough hole for sufficient oiling but they can be drilled out?

And the coolant passenges on the turbo are too small and that can't be drilled out or fixed right?
But thats really okay because these turbo's don't rely too heavily on the extra cooling from the coolant passenges. It's more of a bonus.

Finally, doing this is only going to postpone failure because even with sufficient oiling and coolant passenges, these turbo's are just cheap?

Whats cheap about them, the cartridges? What can I do? I can't afford new LG turbos. I'm getting ready to buy a house. I don't want to act after I blow a turbo to find out I can't rebuild it because of extensive damage. What if I had them rebuilt and balanced with new cartridiges and drilled out the banjo bolts to 13/64. Would that keep these turbo's running? I'm okay with 'only' 750rwhp.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Water cooling is not the critical cooling. The oil is. So would be drilling out the hole possibly .So there were two different size banjos shipped in the kits? Maybe thats why some are lasting longing that would make sense.

Other solution might be to buy ebay TDO6H kando dynamics replacements centers like I did or Lowbird did. They are cheap enough like 400 bucks each. His are doing ok if you read his posts. I have not installed mine yet.

Also if can simply buy mits td06h 20g centers they might not be that expensive.
They are plug and play aside from having to drop the damn kmember to do the passenger side. Drivers side sounds easy enough with k member in the car.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

I should also tell you guys that there are 4 holes per bolt
Old 09-04-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

bump - great observation barnat
Old 09-04-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
bump - great observation barnat
Thanks, Just trying to save other money by posting this. Hopefully,everybody with this APS F body kit will check there oil banjo bolts befor the turbos go ?
Old 09-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

I would worry about drilling them too big and then blowing the oil seals with to much oil pressure. I haven't seen the oil feed orfices in the APS center cartraige. Just as a note, the holes in the oil feed lines are barely bigger than the holes in the banjo bolts.

Last edited by bigblueturtle; 09-14-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:06 PM
FormerVendor

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...peter-aps.html
Old 09-15-2009, 01:32 AM
Launching!

weird. mine gto's are bigger. even with the updated ones
Old 09-15-2009, 01:55 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bondosgto
Should only be 60 thou though the F body system was engineered after the GTO system,
Old 09-15-2009, 01:57 AM
FormerVendor

Is your GTO system a Generation 1 or generation 2 system?
Old 09-17-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

While your chimming in Peter LOL Why dont you address the (1) unopened coolant passages that i found on one of my bad turbos when the other (3) coolant passages were opened up completly? OR ((LOL)) Instead of all of us GUESSING why these turbos are all going bad ,why dont you just tell us why ,so maybe others can remedy there turbos before they go bad ?????
Heres the pics of the 1 coolant passage that wasnt opened up completly on one of your garbage turbos. You can see the unopened coolant passage (tiny hole) here in the pics
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...t/BAD%20TURBO/

Last edited by barnat; 09-17-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm I have replacement centers that got off ebay tdo6h and have to check to see what banjo bolts they came with.I think my 14b off my talons are big holes. I also see the lg replacements use big hole banjos. So sorry but wondering here how the big holes could cause smoking and problems.
I thought that one guy posted pics that show big hole banjos on his f body kit.
So many threads and posts..
I can see not enough oil causing early death and small holes like that could maybe clog up much easier.
This whole thing is giving me a big headache. So far my originals seem to still be boosting ok and not blowing tons of oil out yet. Not hearing any grinding and the drivers at least seemed fine when checked it recently should have checked the passenger. As said a few times I have run no water cooling for 5000 miles.
Many guys dont' use the water cooling ports on the mits centers its optional to use water.It is still a good thing and will go to water when put in my replacement centers or LG centers.

But the oil is the critical thing here not the water cooling.
Also how big the holes are in the banjos don't mean much if the turbo or lines are smaller and more restricted. Usually non bb turbos like the mits don't need much if any oil restriction. BB like Garrett need restriction.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by peter@aps
Is your GTO system a Generation 1 or generation 2 system?
gen 2. one of the first ones too. hasnt been installed yet, but i have seen most of the parts
Old 09-17-2009, 04:20 PM
FormerVendor

gen 2. one of the first ones too. hasnt been installed yet, but i have seen most of the parts
The 60 though oil supply orifices are correct.............if you open up the orifices you will increase the oil flow (especially at higher oil pressure levels) and you will flood the turbos and cause the hot end shaft seal to leak and cause oil burning/blue smoke.

Peter
Old 09-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Are these OEM mitsu CHRAs? What was changed between the gen1 and gen2 systems that required so much less oil?
Old 09-18-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Exclamation

I have no idea why DICK ,,,I mean Peter,,, keeps saying these are the correct holes when half the guys have the bigger bango and the other half dont! So what your saying Peter ,is that APS screwed over the guys that got these bigger banjo bolts and is why there turbos are smocking ? Dont worry Peter ,,,We ((ALL KNOW)) you wont answer this question LOL Either way, half or more of us are having turbo problems and you know this is FACT Peter !and these Mits are internally metered anyways , its the BB turbos that need a restictor in line with the feed line not these race type bearing MIT turbos! So, i guess LG motorsport is being screwed too now by there turbo supplier thats putting these bigger oil bango bolts in with there upgraded turbos? Dont worry Peter,LOL We all know you wont answer this question either. LOL By the way Peter,copying and posting pics of these banjos from APS's site doesn't mean there the right ones for these turbos? (There surely not the MIT's turbos that we all paid for anyways ,so who knows ! This to is a fact jack LOL Why not post something that PROVES these are OEM MIT turbos while your posting **** Peter ? Didnt think so! By the way ,,,Stay off of our site! All of us APS guys that got screwed over by your company with these GARBAGE turbos are tired of hearing only what ((YOU FEEL LIKE ANSWERING)) . Like I said to you before Peter,Your not trying to square your name with with us by telling us whats wrong with these turbos and you havent even came close to even offered us bad turbo guys a discount on a upgraded turbo that APS (could) and (should) have done! You had the ***** here a few weeks ago talking about a upgraded APS BB turbo without even trying to offer any kind of discount to the guys that all ready spent every dime he's had on your kit and now with the economy the way it is,,, my have to wait years before he can come up the money needed ($3000 for LG turbos) to finally make his kit right,,, because you and your shitty company made no effort to make right with the wrong you did by throwing these knock off turbos in our kits at the last minute !!And before you even say it Peter LOL Knowbody ,I MEAN KNOWBODY ,,wants to tear there whole ******* car back apart to put these (knock off) (Garbage) (No name) turbo back in,, to only have to tear there car apart again. Be a ******* man Peter! Like I said before,,,,Tell these guys with bad turbos that youll get them a killer discount on APS's upgraded BB turbos (verses just replaceing garbage with garbage if they send in there bad turbos to you. This is exactly WORD FOR WORD what i said to you 2 weeks ago when your brought up the APS BB turbo replacement idea for our kits, Remember your reply when i ripped into your *** about atleast offering a discount to the guys that there turbos have all ready **** themselves????? ((I DO!)) LOL Once i brought the discount idea up to you ,you were like more or less forget this idea!.Thats what type of rep you are and is why were all sick and tired of you chimming in with your little comments and your upgraded (FULL PRICE) replacement turbos for sale! Piece of ****!
WE ALL !!!should have thought twice before buying a kit from a company that had Dave Inall was part of !

Last edited by barnat; 09-18-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by scapaldo
Are these OEM mitsu CHRAs? What was changed between the gen1 and gen2 systems that required so much less oil?
Dont hold your breath on a answer my man !!!This is peter the snake your trying to talk to here. He'll answer ever question you have ,,,except the one your really asking

Quick Reply: Discovered APS turbo fllaw?