DIY hardlines.... teach me.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Thanks again. I looked here...

http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PA...ES&Wtky=TUBING

... what sizes did you use... fittings and such? I honestly don't know where to look. Thickness of tubing,.. etc. Your setup looks DOPE. Pretty much what I would like to do with my oil, BOV's, and wastegates. My car will probably loose 5 pounds if I loose all this rubber.

I do already own that exact pipe bending tool. Thanks for that link
In the world of industrial fittings, they are know as JIC fittings. They are the exact same as AN fittings(37* flare) and use the same size designations -4,-6,-10, ect, except they are a steel industrial fitting. They weigh just a little bit more then the aluminum AN fittings, but are polished steel at 1/3rd the price.

I used steel brake line, 3/16 I believe, and bought it by the foot. It is a -4 in size. Then i bough the appropriate size tube nut and tube sleeve. You will need to flare the tube to 37*, but it is easy with this tool, --> http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-900311/

Your wastegates and stuff are probably a 1/8 npt or 1/4 npt thread. Buy a npt to JIC adapter for what ever size you need. The fittings come in straight, 45, and 90. You can also get JIC tee fittings as well. If you can't find Parker fittings, Eaton industrial Aeroquip fittings are the same. http://hydraulics.eaton.com/products...e_aeroquip.htm

Because brake line is steel, it will rust when it gets wet. I simply polished the lines(took literally a minute) then cleared them to keep them from rusting.

Originally Posted by gametech
I used brake line to hardline the boost controller to the wastegate and intake.
Exactly, brake line works great. You can even get this stuff at NAPA.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Search for pics of Tiago's under hood set-up. He had 300 hard vacuum lines under his hood lol.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:19 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetres
Search for pics of Tiago's under hood set-up. He had 300 hard vacuum lines under his hood lol.
I was going to say the same thing, but you beat me to it. I think hard lines look better, but for functionality purposes appear to be a pain in the ***.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech

Dammit man your like an hour north of me. Either I find a place local or I take a slow ride on saturday in the pickup.

Hollar, we'll take a quicker trip in the Z28, since I now have A/C again (how the hell did I go so long without it??)
Old 09-04-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ak95ta
In the world of industrial fittings, they are know as JIC fittings. They are the exact same as AN fittings(37* flare) and use the same size designations -4,-6,-10, ect, except they are a steel industrial fitting. They weigh just a little bit more then the aluminum AN fittings, but are polished steel at 1/3rd the price.

I used steel brake line, 3/16 I believe, and bought it by the foot. It is a -4 in size. Then i bough the appropriate size tube nut and tube sleeve. You will need to flare the tube to 37*, but it is easy with this tool, --> http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-900311/

Your wastegates and stuff are probably a 1/8 npt or 1/4 npt thread. Buy a npt to JIC adapter for what ever size you need. The fittings come in straight, 45, and 90. You can also get JIC tee fittings as well. If you can't find Parker fittings, Eaton industrial Aeroquip fittings are the same. http://hydraulics.eaton.com/products...e_aeroquip.htm

Because brake line is steel, it will rust when it gets wet. I simply polished the lines(took literally a minute) then cleared them to keep them from rusting.

Exactly, brake line works great. You can even get this stuff at NAPA.
Awesome. Thanks again man.

Originally Posted by ninetres
will do, thanks man,..

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
Hollar, we'll take a quicker trip in the Z28, since I now have A/C again (how the hell did I go so long without it??)

I'm down holmes.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I'm being lazy I go to NAPA & use brake line & adapters that go to NPT. You can buy all kinds of lengths & diameter tubes ready to bolt on. They only have steel though, it's rated at like 3k psi or something like that.

With those cheap flaring tools I have had some leaks when flaring SS as it is very hard. The next flaring tool I buy will be an expensive one (hydraulic)

I like to use hard line because it is cheap compared to braided stuff.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can contact John or Darren at Race Parts Solutions in Boca. I think that they have most of that stuff also.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by code4
When I'm being lazy I go to NAPA & use brake line & adapters that go to NPT. You can buy all kinds of lengths & diameter tubes ready to bolt on. They only have steel though, it's rated at like 3k psi or something like that.

With those cheap flaring tools I have had some leaks when flaring SS as it is very hard. The next flaring tool I buy will be an expensive one (hydraulic)

I like to use hard line because it is cheap compared to braided stuff.
Good to know.

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
You can contact John or Darren at Race Parts Solutions in Boca. I think that they have most of that stuff also.

Those guys are truly awesome. They have supplied me with everything for my car and the others. Couldn't be happier with them, or the parts they supply. However, this is the one thing, they don't carry. Maybe they can get it but it wasn't anything they had instant insight on. Thanks for the tip, those guys ROCK.(have you been to the new place?...awesome)

Quick Reply: DIY hardlines.... teach me.