Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Wastegate reference ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wastegate reference ?

Where are you guys referencing your wastegate off of? I was using the turbo fitting but was only making 4lbs of boost... I then switched to the evap port on the intake... fixed boost problem but im reading now the wastegate should not see vaccume??? should I move the reference point of the wastegate to the emissions port on the throttly body or is the port on the intake okay??
Old 09-06-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i just asked the same question!!! someone said yes, but id like to get a definitive answer as well... it would be super easy for me to use that port on the TB
Old 09-06-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have never seen an issue with a waste gate getting a vacuum signal and have used everything from turbo outlets to intercooler piping to intakes for my signal source.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Would it just be easiest to just reference off the turbo and use a boost controller?
Old 09-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I run my wastegate off the port on the turbo housing. BOV goes to the manifold vacuum.

Just to be clear. There are 2 ports on the wastegate. If you are not running a controller, you should be in the lower vacuum port and the one on top should be vented to atmosphere. After re reading your problem, it seems like you may be using the wrong port on the wastegate. If you think about how it works, the strongest boost signal will come from the compressor housing and assists the spring in keeping the valve shut.

Last edited by 98Z28CobraKiller; 09-06-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I run my wastegate off the port on the turbo housing. BOV goes to the manifold vacuum.

Just to be clear. There are 2 ports on the wastegate. If you are not running a controller, you should be in the lower vacuum port and the one on top should be vented to atmosphere. After re reading your problem, it seems like you may be using the wrong port on the wastegate. If you think about how it works, the strongest boost signal will come from the compressor housing and assists the spring in keeping the valve shut.
+1 Thats exactly the same way I have my routed.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have mine off of the manifold so that the eboost2 see's what the motor is actually receiving for boost after going through the intercooler.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

Its in the right port... That was my first thought when the car would only make 4psi... When I switched to the reference being off the intake boost is now around 7psi... If the wastegate is not supposed to see vac should I just get a boost controller and reference it off the turbo port? Or would maybe welding a fitting onto the cold side right before the throttle body be the best bet??

Last edited by 2002RamAir; 09-07-2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: add
Old 09-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 2002RamAir
Its in the right port... That was my first thought when the car would only make 4psi... When I switched to the reference being off the intake boost is now around 7psi... If the wastegate is not supposed to see vac should I just get a boost controller and reference it off the turbo port? Or would maybe welding a fitting onto the cold side right before the throttle body be the best bet??
I got to thinking about it and it makes sense. By referencing the vacuum port on the intake, you get a weaker boost signal than at the compressor. Weaker signal means less assist for opening the valve. The correct way to do it is to put in a heavier spring and switch back to the compressor housing.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:43 AM
TECH Regular

The thing I dont understand is how the wastegate has a 7psi spring in it... When it is referenced off the turbo it would only hit at most 5psi then start to drop down to around 4psi... When I switched to the intake manifold to reference it everything was fixed... Is hitting 6-7psi and holding
Old 09-08-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

The thing I dont understand is how the wastegate has a 7psi spring in it... When it is referenced off the turbo it would only hit at most 5psi then start to drop down to around 4psi... When I switched to the intake manifold to reference it everything was fixed... Is hitting 6-7psi and holding
Pressure drop after the IC.. The air before the IC was hitting 7psi, pushing the gate open, etc. while after the IC, it was dropping to 4 psi, which is all your motor was seeing. When you pull the boost source for your gate from the motor, your wastegate is going to see the same boost the motor is. Just like if you put a boost gauge on the compressor outlet and one on the motor, they'd both read two different things.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

True! and I have ran several references from the manifold with and without boost controllers, never seen it cause a problem with any parts but if you think your spring is a little strong and you are getting creep or spikes it might be worth it to try it at the turbo outlet to get the stronger signal, if that don't fix it, you might need a bigger gate.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Is 3psi really normal to lose from plumbing for turbo to intake tho? seems a bit high to me...
Old 09-08-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want the pressure in the intake to be what your waste gate spring is, then reference off the intake.....The intake is where you want the final pressure reading right?
Old 09-08-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is 3psi really normal to lose from plumbing for turbo to intake tho? seems a bit high to me...
Thats about average, some lose 4-5 (ebay mostly)
Old 09-08-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
If you want the pressure in the intake to be what your waste gate spring is, then reference off the intake.....The intake is where you want the final pressure reading right?
yeah i want the intake to be the reference point... i have it there now... what will happen to the wastegate seeing vac tho?
Old 09-08-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Good stuff... Ill be hooking mine up soon too... what if you dont have a "port" on the turbo?...
Old 09-08-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
Good stuff... Ill be hooking mine up soon too... what if you dont have a "port" on the turbo?...
You can tap the compressor housing, or anywhere else you want to reference it off of.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah i want the intake to be the reference point... i have it there now... what will happen to the wastegate seeing vac tho?
Nothing at all will happen.. I don't know where people are getting this "vacuum is bad on a wastegate" thing from, but you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
Then you can get it from your intake, tee a vacuum line, pull it off your charge pipes, etc. You people are really complicating a simple thing here .
Old 09-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Restricted User

The only issue that I see is when you go from 100% throttle to 0% throttle at the end of a pass. The sudden switch from boost to vacuum would slam the valve shut which causes the BOV to work harder at relieving the charge pressure. At the very least it will make that obnoxious srt4 blow off sound.

Quick Reply: Wastegate reference ?