Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New best this weekend, getting there..

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 12:17 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ There really hasn't been a large F2/F3 blower LS setup since Duke's old car. I would love to build an F2 car, but for me getting my S95 for $1050 and using C6 / 6L manifolds the price is impossible to pass.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:30 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
^ There really hasn't been a large F2/F3 blower LS setup since Duke's old car. I would love to build an F2 car, but for me getting my S95 for $1050 and using C6 / 6L manifolds the price is impossible to pass.
Yea, its amazing what you can get out of the truck manifold setups. Its really a no brainer if you are looking for over 800hp or so and are on a limited budget. The bigger prochargers do well in drag cars but they dont come cheap thats for sure.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:54 AM
9 Second Club

Received 279 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
This car really doesnt have any nicer suspension parts than the other one, just the M9 setup but thats not really an improvement over what I had before - just looks cooler and is a little lighter. Problem with this car is its nose heavy, my other car had lighter suspension parts in the front, lighter wheels, the aftermarket hood was way lighter then this firehawk hood and most of the time I ran it without the headlight motors so it had nearly 100lbs less on the front. Plus I have a 30lb battery in the front of this one too so that would make it 130lbs. That pretty much negates the M9, aluminum driveshaft etc as far as static weight and really screws with F/R weight balance trying to get it to work. I have to dial in a lot of anti squat to get it to hook initially and then it tends to unload the tires about 30' out, it will take a little time but I'll get it figured out.

As far as the turbos being popular there is really no 'big' power blower setups that bolt on these, except for EPP's cog or a crank drive but the HP per dollar is up there pretty good compared to truck manifold/91mm setup thats for sure. If was looking to push a land yacht into the 8s or make 1000+rwhp on a dyno I'd do a turbo but I'm not so I'll stick with something simple and dead nuts reliable.

Plus since most of the fast LS cars have turbos on them, except for Ronnie Duke running in the 7s a few years ago, no one has stepped up and build a badass LS blower drag car. People copy what they see work..
3350# is hardly a land yacht you were probably referring to a stock 3800# plus full weight car or GTO...

As far as it unloading 30' ft out, have you lengthened the IC (torque arm down a hole) and do you got adjustable rear shocks? Tightening the rebound would help.

Yeah, there have been a few F1A cars that have done really well for HP on here, but no real stellar 1/4 mile times. There was one I recall Speedracer55XX something (sp?) that ran really well for a 6-spd at a really heavy weight. Think he went 150+ in the 1/4 at 3900#. That was impressive! But you're right, there aren't many.

Also, the Canadian guy (sorry name ?) did real well for HP and track times, can't remember the name, but he played around with cams and superchargers quite a bit.

And there is SSmokin 01 (sp?), he has been 9's with a D1, noticed that in the "Fastest 1/4 mile time in 2009" thread, can't recall any build threads, not sure on details. Anything in the single digits with the D1 is pretty damn impressive in my book.

So when are you going for more weight reduction, based on the direction you have gone with your build and your past performance in the black car, I would anticipate it is in the near future. 8 second ET's can't be too far away?

Have you ordered the F1A yet?

Last edited by helicoil; 09-08-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:58 AM
12 Second Club

Congrats man! Nice times.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:58 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by helicoil
3350# is hardly a land yacht you were probably referring to a stock 3800# plus full weight car or GTO...

As far as it unloading 30' ft out, have you lengthened the IC (torque arm down a hole) and do you got adjustable rear shocks? Tightening the rebound would help.

Yeah, there have been a few F1A cars that have done really well for HP on here, but no real stellar 1/4 mile times. There was one I recall Speedracer55XX something (sp?) that ran really well for a 6-spd at a really heavy weight. Think he went 150+ in the 1/4 at 3900#. That was impressive! But you're right, there aren't many.

Also, the Canadian guy (sorry name ?) did real well for HP and track times, can't remember the name, but he played around with cams and superchargers quite a bit.

And there is SSmokin 01 (sp?), he has been 9's with a D1, noticed that in the "Fastest 1/4 mile time in 2009" thread, can't recall any build threads, not sure on details. Anything in the single digits with the D1 is pretty damn impressive in my book.

So when are you going for more weight reduction, based on the direction you have gone with your build and your past performance in the black car, I would anticipate it is in the near future. 8 second ET's can't be too far away?

Have you ordered the F1A yet?
I was saying if I had a 3900lb car (land yacht IMO) and wanted to run 8s I would do a turbo. Most FI cars tend to be on the heavy side, iron block, 4L80, 9" etc, so I can see the reason to do a turbo in that situation, turbos make a crapload of torque and that nice in a heavy car as well. My car is hardly a land yacht, but its no theft recovery either, its what they call a 'tweener,' somewhere between a real street car and and a real race car

There is some good running F1A/D1SC cars out there no doubt, but if you compare what the Ohio boys are doing with a pair of 50.00 manifolds there is no comparison really. As much as I like the prochargers even I have to admit a truck manifold setup is hard to beat if you dont mind hacking up your car a bit. 10 years ago that was a big issue, now these cars are 7-11 years old so it doesnt hurt so much to whip out the sawzall. IMO for a 9-10 second street car a procharger and a SDCE is about as simple and reliable as you can get.

I have 3 way rear shocks, not much I can do there. Only way to change IC with an uncoupled torque arm is make it longer or shorter and/or change LCA angle. The moser arm is pretty long so that inst an issue. Besides once it cools off the 60's will be back in the 1.2x range with some fresh tires, hot weather really kills the 60ft on these. Plus a lot depends on the track as well. I really havent spent much time with this car yet, been hotter then hell here lately. The car will run 9.20-9.30s as it sits in good weather on a well prepped track, been there before. Its that last couple tenths that will be tough..

F1A is only a phone call and 3-4 days away. But I really want to see what I can get out of the D1SC. Mostly because I'm cheap and its already on the car
Old 09-08-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Truck manifold set up....I have one here....and NO cutting with a sawzall either. Can fit GT4202 or S-series sized turbo
Old 09-09-2009, 12:21 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Truck manifold set up....I have one here....and NO cutting with a sawzall either. Can fit GT4202 or S-series sized turbo
You still have a car?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Kevin. Kept getting quicker...looks like it broke loose bigtime on the first run.

Any plans for Bristol before it closes.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:01 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,208 Likes on 773 Posts

How much boost are you running these days, about 17 Kevin?
Old 09-09-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

great work brotha
Old 09-09-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
You still have a car?
yep still have the 'bird, with 3 kids now it just sits in the garage. I have no time for it

I've been adding stuff to it for ***** and giggles while it sits, but it doesn't go anywhere.

I put it up in the air last week because I was going to change the oil, header gaskets(getting rid of my carbon fiber gaskets...seem they are leaking again) and do plugs and wires while right there too, but ended up getting the flu. Just getting over being sick so i'll pull everything off in the next day or two.

J
Old 09-09-2009, 08:15 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by onfire
Nice Kevin. Kept getting quicker...looks like it broke loose bigtime on the first run.

Any plans for Bristol before it closes.
Probably wont make it up to Bristol this year, way things are going I'll be lucky to make it to any 1/4 mile tracks. Kids are getting older and need a little more attention plus enthusiasm level is pretty low..

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
How much boost are you running these days, about 17 Kevin?
16psi @ 7100rpm @ 3500' DA, probably be 17.5-18 close to sea level. 7100 puts the blower at max impeller.

Originally Posted by frcefed98
yep still have the 'bird, with 3 kids now it just sits in the garage. I have no time for it

I've been adding stuff to it for ***** and giggles while it sits, but it doesn't go anywhere.

I put it up in the air last week because I was going to change the oil, header gaskets(getting rid of my carbon fiber gaskets...seem they are leaking again) and do plugs and wires while right there too, but ended up getting the flu. Just getting over being sick so i'll pull everything off in the next day or two.

J
Its cheaper if you never drive it lol. I hear you on the kids, at least you are able to keep it around.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:43 AM
10 Second Club

KP when your running c16 what is your timing set at on your car?
Old 09-10-2009, 07:12 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rickys S/C Z28
KP when your running c16 what is your timing set at on your car?
25 degrees at 4500 and it ramps down to 16 at 7200rpm. I dont change the tune much for C16, I just use it for safety, I tune for 100 unleaded and believe it or not the C16 slows it down most of the time. When I'm going for internet hero ETs I'll up the timing a couple degrees and lean it out some (11.8:1 a/f to 12.2:1 or so) and that takes advantage the better fuel.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:31 AM
10 Second Club

great man thanks that what i was wanting to here! i was only running 21 degrees not sure the ramping thanks man
Old 09-11-2009, 12:02 PM
9 Second Club

Kp im surprised you dont run more up top past peak torque where there is not as much time for detonation
Old 09-11-2009, 12:20 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by cablebandit
Kp im surprised you dont run more up top past peak torque where there is not as much time for detonation
Centrifugal is way different than a turbo when it comes to timing, peak torque in mine is around 5500rpm and the boost keeps ramping up quick so most of the power is concentrated between 5500-7000rpm. I have stock timing at 4500rpm as well, something you cant do with a turbo car, apples/oranges

After probably 1000 passes, several dozen head gaskets, using everything from 93 pump to Q16 and three different engines I have a pretty good handle where to put the timing. Of course you can go higher, head gaskets and pistons are cheap..

Turbo car tends to create a lot of backpressure at high RPM, that backpressure is almost like EGR and cools/dilutes the intake charge preventing detonation (and reducing power of course). While its true there is less chance of detonation at higher rpm, dont ever think there isnt enough time for detonation on a forced induction car..
Old 09-11-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

Do you still run knock sensors with the BS3?

-Coleman
Old 09-11-2009, 12:29 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by BTLBABY
Do you still run knock sensors with the BS3?

-Coleman
No, I didnt use them with the stock PCM either. Absolutely useless IMO, sometimes they will show knock when there is none and most of the time they dont pick up any when you are burning holes in your pistons.

Good fuel system, decent fuel of known quality, plenty of injector, looking at plugs and a lot of common sense beat knock sensors anytime.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Regular

That's my thought on them too.

-Coleman

Quick Reply: New best this weekend, getting there..