Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Front O2s in Charge Pipe?

Old 09-08-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front O2s in Charge Pipe?

Ok, a couple questions.... do I NEED to run my front O2s at all when going SD on my Truck Manifold set-up? I went ahead and welded a couple bungs in, but now I see not everyone runs them. What are the pro's / con's to using them or not?

Secondly, if you do use them, what effects do the added heat and psi of being in the charge pipes have on them?

I just want to know if I should just plug em, or go ahead and use them? Thanks.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You would put them in the hotside pipe or the down pipe. Not in the charge pipe. I always tune them out though.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
You would put them in the hotside pipe or the down pipe. Not in the charge pipe. I always tune them out though.
Yea I guess Im mixing terms here... I meant in the main hot pipes from exhaust manifolds to turbo flange when I said "charge pipes"..

Is there any reason worth keeping them in the tune, or is it irrelevant in a SD tune? Sorry for such a general Q, just trying to wrap my head around it.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Narrow band O2s can go either before or after the turbines; wide bands must be placed after the turbines. (I personally prefer to put all O2s 18" - 24" after the turbines.) If your speed density tune runs open loop, the front O2s aren't being used. If you are running closed loop speed density, you'll need to keep them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front O2s in Charge Pipe?