Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

valve cover pcv question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default valve cover pcv question

I have a procharger and i had the motor forged. my engine builder put my valve covers on backwards, so the oil fill neck is on the drivers side rear. The problem is the passenger valve cover has no breather ports. I bought a extra set of 98 valve covers so i'm wondering can i run both valve covers with out the breather ports and run breathers on the oil caps on both valve covers. or do I need the ported valve cover?
Old 09-16-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So your going to have rocker covers with oil fill necks on both sides of the engine with breathers? If so, that will work fine.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So that will ditch the pcv system? leaving the port on the intake on the passenger side. should i run a air/oil seperator to the ati inlet hat from this port?
Old 09-17-2009, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default That's what I did!

Originally Posted by pdasterly
I have a procharger and i had the motor forged. my engine builder put my valve covers on backwards, so the oil fill neck is on the drivers side rear. The problem is the passenger valve cover has no breather ports. I bought a extra set of 98 valve covers so i'm wondering can i run both valve covers with out the breather ports and run breathers on the oil caps on both valve covers. or do I need the ported valve cover?
On my LT1 STS car I added a pass side valve cover, reversed and bolted to the driver's side, then for the two PCV ports I added little baby K&N breathers - that took care of my boost blowing the dipstick out and throwing oil onto my engine. It also gave me a dedicated return port for my post-turbo engine oil - the (new) Driver's side oil fill neck. A similar set up might be a solution for you too.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pdasterly
So that will ditch the pcv system? leaving the port on the intake on the passenger side. should i run a air/oil seperator to the ati inlet hat from this port?
No, cap off the port behind the throttle body for the pcv. You can use the procharger inlet hat to pull vacume but you will want a good catch can setup to keep all the **** out of the blower head unit.

Quick Reply: valve cover pcv question