Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: Best Engine Management System for LSx Platform?
FAST XFI
16.67%
Big Stuff 3
55.56%
Mega Squirt
14.81%
Other
12.96%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Which Aftermarket Engine Management System?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 07:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I have played with the FAST setup on a buddies turbo buick. I liked it alot. I did read somewhere that it would not directly communicate with the stock coils and would require some sort of converter box to use them. This supposedly causes some sort of communication delay that can cause ignition issues. Have you heard or seen this issue? Has it been worked out?
For the LS engines you buy the XFI box and you also buy the XIM box which runs the coil 's. Both box's work together. The BS3 is all integrated in one box which I like alot better for tight space's. As far as the customer support with BS3, when i was having issue's, I got online with the BS3 and John@BS3 actually linked on as well and was able to go thru the whole BS3 ecu online while I watched from my house. He did this for me for 3 day's in a row! That's CUSTOMER SERVICE!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:59 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Use whatever your tuner is happy to be working with, unless there is a system that you need for very specific reasons.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Megasquirt

If you are doing it yourself, you NEED to look into Megasquirt, it is a fraction of the price, uses all the stock sensors and has everything built in..

Controls High or Low Impedance Injectors
Launch Control (2 Step)
Flat Shifting
Knock Retard
Meth/Water Injection
AFR Feedback w/autotune
On the fly tuning
Boost Control
NOS Control
Huge support Forum
Full datalog capabilities
and Much More...

If someone else is doing it, use what they are familiar with.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by bigturboz28
If you are doing it yourself, you NEED to look into Megasquirt, it is a fraction of the price, uses all the stock sensors and has everything built in..

Launch Control (2 Step)
Flat Shifting
Knock Retard
Meth/Water Injection
AFR Feedback w/autotune
On the fly tuning
Boost Control
NOS Control
Huge support Forum
and Much More...

what about firing stock coils? does the ms got that built in too now?
Old 09-23-2009, 08:24 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Use whatever your tuner is happy to be working with, unless there is a system that you need for very specific reasons.
I am the tuner. All these aftermarket setups are easier to tune with than the stock PCM. The thing is that I have never done a "from scratch" setup on any of these systems so I am trying to get familiar with the different nuances that may be specific to each system.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:31 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by bigturboz28

Launch Control (2 Step)
Flat Shifting
Knock Retard
Meth/Water Injection
AFR Feedback w/autotune
On the fly tuning
Boost Control
NOS Control
Huge support Forum
and Much More...

I have also messed around with the megasquirt and was actually leaning that way. It is what I will be using on my car once the time comes. I have heard that they can now control the ignition but that was also third hand information so if anyone can confirm, please do so. There is good local support for it, just not on the LSx platform. The biggest down side is that you have to cut and modify the harness to get it to work from what I have heard.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Have you looked into MoTeC?
Old 09-23-2009, 12:21 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by john_sblendorio
Have you looked into MoTeC?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 09-23-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Los,
I believe you know Jake (from Power By The Hour) and Darin (from Race Part Solutions). Both are very familiar with MegaSquirt and are worth talking to for their opinions and expertise. They have Dman's 6L, with twin MP70's, running on Megasquirt (using the MSD ignition box). I am not up and running yet, but will be using MegaSquirt on my 408" with twin 76's, running the stock coils in wasted spark.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:27 PM
9 Second Club

I am the tuner. All these aftermarket setups are easier to tune with than the stock PCM. The thing is that I have never done a "from scratch" setup on any of these systems so I am trying to get familiar with the different nuances that may be specific to each system.

So what do you require of any system ? What level of control do you need ? That will then let you decide which system is most suitable. And of course not forgetting what sort of customer support is available if there are problems.

And its always easier to use a system, that can interpret the factory triggers, ie cam and crank as well as all its OE sensors.
Just saves hassle setting up initially.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Restricted User

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
+1. Our engine builder uses the Motec on the engine dyno. He ran thru the costs with me. It's staggering. Of course it has features on top of features for data acquisition but that stuff just isn't necessary for what we are doing.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by RAACCR
Los,
I believe you know Jake (from Power By The Hour) and Darin (from Race Part Solutions). Both are very familiar with MegaSquirt and are worth talking to for their opinions and expertise. They have Dman's 6L, with twin MP70's, running on Megasquirt (using the MSD ignition box). I am not up and running yet, but will be using MegaSquirt on my 408" with twin 76's, running the stock coils in wasted spark.
Yep, I went over to Jake's and played with it over there. I didn't know that Darin was also using it. I wonder if he is controlling spark with it. I'll have to call him if he doesn't find the thread.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Restricted User

So what do you require of any system ? What level of control do you need ? That will then let you decide which system is most suitable. And of course not forgetting what sort of customer support is available if there are problems.

And its always easier to use a system, that can interpret the factory triggers, ie cam and crank as well as all its OE sensors.
Just saves hassle setting up initially.
We don't want to have to piggyback the stock PCM. Apparently all 3 systems can do it all. The FAST requires an extra module that supposedly can be lazy so that's out. The Megasquirt probably wont get the nod on this build just because the owner wants it to be EASY as possible and the cost of the BS3 is not outside of his reach. For me, cost is a limiting factor so I will likely use the megasquirt.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:46 PM
9 Second Club

You still dont explain your needs.

Do you need an ecu for the instrument cluster ?

Do you need it to control the trans ?

How many or what type of injector ?

What sort of datalogging etc ?

IMO, whilst MS is cheap....I just dont think its cheap enough to warrant the ******* about building and setting up.

The likes of DTA, Haltech, Link/ViPec and no doubt many others would run any engine you need, and very reasonable costs, and be pretty easy to tune.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Restricted User

You still dont explain your needs.

Do you need an ecu for the instrument cluster ? No. All aftermarket gages

Do you need it to control the trans ?No. Powerglide.

How many or what type of injector ?8 low impedance 160ish

What sort of datalogging etc ?All the usual stuff. Nothing out of control.

IMO, whilst MS is cheap....I just dont think its cheap enough to warrant the ******* about building and setting up.It is my understanding that you can buy it ready to go. All you have to do is wire in the harness. I do agree that the BS3 looks easier but it is over $1K more money.

The likes of DTA, Haltech, Link/ViPec and no doubt many others would run any engine you need, and very reasonable costs, and be pretty easy to tune. I haven't seen these in action. Will they control fuel and ignition?
See responses in red ^^^
Old 09-23-2009, 01:08 PM
9 Second Club

All of the above will control fuel and ignition, as will every aftermarket ecu.

Most of those will not fire lowZ injectors directly though. Haltech will, the others will require a driver box.

Motec can fire both, although its mega expensive.

Im using the DTA S80Pro on my own car. It does only do highZ injectors, although I ended up with 2 inj per cylinder.
http://www.dtafast.co.uk/S_80_PRO.htm

But really... when BS3 is readily available there, there are other guys using it etc etc..it would make sense to opt for that, unless there really are reasons not to ( forgetting price for a second )

When you start adding time+hassle to tuning... $1000 really isnt a huge sum of money, if paying it initially, makes all subsequent tuning far far easier.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yep, I went over to Jake's and played with it over there. I didn't know that Darin was also using it. I wonder if he is controlling spark with it. I'll have to call him if he doesn't find the thread.
Darin has the MSD LS1 programmable box running his ignition; with Mega Squirt doing the fuel. (He re-used the same MegaSquirt that he'd had on his turbo 5.0 when he swapped the 6L into his Mustang, and I don't think the wasted spark option to run stock LS coils & trigger was available back when he originally got his.) I believe that car is still up at Jake's shop. Darin is in the process of selling that car; he bought another Turbo 911 Porsche, and has already torn all the mechanical fuel injection off and is replacing it with later model Carrera EFI hardware, run by MegaSquirt.

I'm also a do-it-yourself tuner, but its nice to know that we've got Darin and Jake around locally for any problems or questions that might come up. Between the two of them, they've MegaSquirted a lot of different vehicles, so they can probably figure out just about anything. Good luck!

Rob
Old 09-23-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

i am a fan of the electromotive Tec 3.. Has its own coils and has worked great.. on turbo buicks the FAST xfi is a way to go but dont know about the LSX?
Old 09-23-2009, 03:10 PM
9 Second Club

Here is a simple solution. What do the quickest and fastest LSX guys use.
BS3!! This is why I use it. It wouks for them, good enough for me!
Old 09-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Banned

I ran the FAST XFI XIM combo on the old shop car. Never had any problems with it.
Next time around will be a MS2 for Fuel and MSD 6010 for Spark. Simple, cheap and effective.
BS3 is a solid option also. Lots of guys running it so there is lots of info should you have any issues or questions.

Quick Reply: Which Aftermarket Engine Management System?