Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Mocal Scavenge Pump Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mocal Scavenge Pump Reliability?

I've noticed that a number of people run the Mocal pump as an upgrade to the pump that's provided in the STS kit. I have a '93 RX-7 LS1 with a front mounted PT67. I've run the Mocal pump for about 2,000 miles. The car ran great, no oil issues.

Recently, I noticed residue around my BOV. The car also started smoking heavily at high RPM. After some quick searching with Google, I found a pump on Tilton's website that looks identical to the Mocal pump, just with a different sticker.

http://www.tiltonracing.com/content....t2&id=222&m=d#

Unlike the instruction sheet that was provided with my Mocal pump, Tilton has a VERY detailed instruction sheet listed on their website. Based on this info, I can assume that Tilton actually designed the pump, not Mocal. Tilton's instruction sheet describes the pump as a Transmission / Differential oil cooler pump, that has a constant maximum fluid temperature of 265 degrees. If used to pass coolant, the instruction sheet stresses that the pump is placed on the outlet side of the cooler, which exposes it to lower temperatures and "SIGNIFICANTLY" increases the life and reliability of the pump.

The pump was never designed, or marketed as being an oil scavenge pump for a turbo. My scavenge pump is about one foot from the oil drain on my turbo. I suspect the temperature of the oil coming off the turbo far exceeds the maximum recommended fluid temperature of the pump. Has anyone experienced failures? I'm going to test the pump tomorrow. I'll report back with results.

Brando
Old 09-27-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had one for about 5k miles and the diaphragm started leaking. Got a new one and about 3k miles later the other internals of the pump degraded. The motor runs but the pump leaked and didn't pump. It's on the shelf in the garage somewhere now... put one of the bigger ones that STS includes with their kits in. No probs so far.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar smoking issue with my turbo setup at high rpm and it ended up being that the journal bearing in the turbo took a crap. It was dumping oil into the pipes but only under hard load. Your pump may be fine. It will be interesting to see what happens when you replace the pump.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TURBO6.0L
I had a similar smoking issue with my turbo setup at high rpm and it ended up being that the journal bearing in the turbo took a crap. It was dumping oil into the pipes but only under hard load. Your pump may be fine. It will be interesting to see what happens when you replace the pump.
The turbo was brand new 2,000 miles ago. It has never exceeded 5 PSI. There is no oil restrictor. There better not be any journal bearing issues!
Old 09-27-2009, 12:51 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope so too but unfortunately if the pump is good that is most likely what it is. PT67 is a good turbo. You should never need to put a restrictor on a journal bearing turbo either unless the manufacture suggests it. As long as your return line and pump are working and sized correctly you should be good. My turbo took a crap at 300 miles. I think it actually died on the dyno because as we added boost we saw little gain in HP. from 10lbs on up and then the smoke came. Any reason that you think the pump may have died?
Old 05-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Sorry for the late results-

I replaced the Mocal pump with a 03-1034 from the site below, and all my issues disappeared.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm

No more smoking! The Mocal pumps are junk for oil scavenge purposes. Anyone reading this- spend the money and do it right the first time.

Brando
Old 05-29-2010, 04:21 PM
TECH Veteran

The Turbo werx pumps are probably the best on the market, Some use the shurflo pumps with great results. i currently have a shurflo, and hope it last for awhile, but when it goes, i will likley switch to the turbo werx pump.

Quick Reply: Mocal Scavenge Pump Reliability?