Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LQ4 + whipple = what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LQ4 + whipple = what?

I bought a used whipple with the intention of a nice easy bolt on affair. What I found out is the kit didn't match my LQ4 but was for a 5.3L.

Right now, I have a stock LQ4 from a 2004 Silverado HD in an old Toyota Land Cruiser that will see daily driving duties as well as rockcrawling.

After pricing out through Whipple the correct parts, I'm having some second thoughts about using their kit.

The whipple in question is a 2300 which I understand isn't the biggest and baddest. But given my application, this isn't too large of a concern. My goals are driveability and MPG more than all out power and track times. I'd like to keep it on pump gas(high octane is fine)

My understanding is I can bolt the super charger on and contact a quality tuner and skip the Whipple programming related stuff.

With all the above said, I've got a few questions:
1) My understanding is I would need to replace the injectors. What flow should I be looking at?
2) Will I need to replace the truck throttle body? My understanding is the truck throttle body was 80mm(ie largest of factory available)
3) I know that the stock cam is a conservative grind. And everything I've read says a cam really wakes the LSx's up. What should I be considering for a cam that will work with the super charger?
4) How durable is the bottom end of the LQ4? Should I be concerned at all?
5) Does anyone know of a quality tuner in the Sacramento area that knows super charger tuning? Mark Roman came up and I plan on talking with him. But I'm looking for other people.
6) Are there any other must do "upgrades" I should be doing at the same time?

Assuming a quality tune and replacement injectors, what type of power would I see? What if I added in a replacement cam?
Old 10-05-2009, 02:14 PM
8 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

1: Go for 42 or 60 poundinjectors
2: Not sure why you have to change the TB. If the kit was for DBW, and your motor is DBW, u should be ok. (The difference was an extension elbow on the whipple kit since the DBW electronics that stick out on the TB would not fit without some massaging)
3: Stock cam good, GT2-3 is a nice upgrade. (Or a z06 cam)
4: Should not be a problem if the tune is right
5: Can't help but you can have my hptuners file as a starting point
6: Pulley: You are going to need a smaller one, or you will make less boost.
Also look at having an intercooler made. The IAT discharge temps are horrible.
Be conservative on the timming and relocate the IAT from the maf to the discharge side.
You will need a good fuel pump also.

What parts are you pricing through whipple? PM me. I don't see what they are trying to change between a 5.3 and a 6.0 kit. Only difference is the pulley. Only other change is if they had a electric tb or cable tb. But even that can be dealt with.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AgFormula02,
Thanks for the reply. They make me think of a few other questions:

You say 42 or 60lb injectors. Is it possible to have too large of an injector? Or will the PCM handle the injectors correctly?

On the throttle body, I wasn't sure if an aftermarket one with a larger bore would help, hinder, or make no difference. Especially with my "low" goals.

What kind of HP/torque can the LQ4 bottom end take?

You mention an intercooler. Does this make a difference if I am getting a direct draw of air from outside the engine bay?

On the pulley, what different sizes are there? And what HP ratings will I see per size?

On the parts from Whipple, it was mostly just the replacement electronics(piggy back computer and PCM programmer)

Quick Reply: LQ4 + whipple = what?