Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS LG upgrade vs Garrett T3/T4

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we are not getting the mits flange like that Don't know if it is gonna be the same as the aps, but we are getting the ones like this.......... http://www.tialsport.com/prod_fl_ti.htm

scroll down to the t25 flanges
Old 10-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok look at my post number 19. and click on the link for T25/t28

that is the one you are getting. it is different from the APS one.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Banned

also how are you getting a gt35r with a t25 flange?

guess i need this better explained
Old 10-13-2009, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

that is special ordered from tial...................we had the gt35's with the t3 106 housings, and we could have made the flange work on the aps manifolds by milling the bolt holes enough to fit, but the outlet of the exhaust housing was very close to the block.

that was with a 4-bolt flange on the exhaust...............now we ordered these housings in a t25 flange, 106 ar 5 bolt style to clear the block and have an opening for the wastegates

i'm hoping the t25 will be close enough to the aps flange to be able to do some minor work on the mill to make them bolt up.......................if not next step will be to do like you said and ship the manifolds to tial and have custom flanges made on to the housings to fit the aps manifolds..............that would be really expensive
Old 10-13-2009, 12:40 PM
10 Second Club

i received the exhaust housings and they ended up being a t3 flange which will work. I am going to have to mill the holes on the flange about a 1/8th of an inch, but it will work with no restriction to exhaust flow.

next big concern is on the drivers side the angle of the flange on the aps manifolds has the downpipe interfering with the back of the block where the transmission bolts up. this will work as well, but it won't be really easy................we are going to have to grind the block and the transmission a little........1/4 3/8'' and make a sharp turn with the piping away from the block.

i wanted to use a 1.06 housing because the engine is a 404, but if it was just a 347 it would have been easier to use the ford style housings.........87 is as large as they come

http://himni-racing.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=1186
Old 10-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Banned

cool. keep us updated. pcitures would be nice.

also are you a shop?

if so it might be worth it sending in a manifold or the old turbos also and having tial make all new exhaust housings for both sides. then people can just buy the turbos from you guys
Old 10-13-2009, 01:13 PM
10 Second Club

i do a little work at a local shop, we are about to start working on this project............when we get this one done, my car will be next in line to have this done. both of our cars have the aps kit...

i will snap some pics when we get going on this
Old 10-13-2009, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What turbine wheel dose the APS compare to?
Old 10-14-2009, 09:17 AM
10 Second Club

compairs to a turbine wheel off of a mits 20g turbo................the aps turbos are modified specifically to fit the aps kit..................that's why we are having all of this talk about how to fit a gt35 onto this kit.

the aps turbos suck..............I'm not a turbo expert here, but if you are going to go with a garrett turbo, them the closest to the aps turbos would be a gt30 series turbo.

Are you going to get two garretts to go onto the aps kit you now have??

If that is what you are thinking about then all of this talk about flanges and how to get a gt35 on this kit applies directly to you

you are not going to get a garrett turbo that will bolt up directly to the aps kit

If you are going to go through all of the trouble to fit a different turbo on to the kit then I would deff want bigger turbos than the aps kit has
Old 10-14-2009, 09:34 AM
8 Second Club

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Any experience with the turbos that come on the extreme kit? (Closer in size to a GT35)I have had no failures, but want to know my options when/if it happens.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bluehawk2
If you are going to go through all of the trouble to fit a different turbo on to the kit then I would deff want bigger turbos than the aps kit has

I make My living making parts for different companies.
I have CNC mills lathes CAD/CAM software and can weld anything that can be welded.

Most replies have been about the Garrett not bolting up.

I don’t expect it to bolt right up, but it damn sure ant worrying me either.

I can put a T3 Garrett on that manifold system in a Saturday afternoon wile killing a 12 pack.

Make them fit doesn’t concern me, finding out
what hot side is on the APS “turbine spec’s, housing A/R” is what I would like to know.

I haven’t seen any back pressure #’s posted “and probably won’t” on big 400+ cid motors making 800 +
on these turbines’ but they seam to carry the power
to 6000 rpm with no problem.

I don’t think most guys really put enough thought into
how important that turbine side is.

About the only time I see a BP test on a system is when a guy is having big trouble making the kind of power he thinks he should be making and as a last resort he will
take a BP reading.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:51 AM
10 Second Club

you are deff correct about that................................and that is the exact reason that the turbos on the aps kit are not any good to me.

I don't know what ci engine you have in your car, but I think the aps turbos are failing because they are just too small and they are getting over spun.

I don't think aps did a good job of matching the turbos to what most people here were going to do with them.

I wouldn't worry about what compairs to the aps turbos, I would give Forced inductions, or even Garrett a call. Tell them what engine you are using, and what you expect out of it.

my point is Everyone is having problems with the aps turbos...........why would you want turbos that compair to them??

that being said I will try to dig up some specs on the aps turbos
Old 10-14-2009, 10:59 AM
8 Second Club

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

I think most of us would jump on a replacement turbo that could be bolted right in without modifications. I don't have the patience to make something fit. (Nor the tools and skill required to make it fit)
If you can solve that, (as it seems LG has) you would be my best friend.
I have not had a failure, but sure want to have options in case I do.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

The Mitsu turbine don't seem to be all that bad if a 427 can make 1000+ to the wheels
and carry it past 6000 rpm.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:51 PM
10 Second Club

Yes, people have made big power with the base kit, but how long is it lasting? Everyone I have heard of that make big power with 400+ cubes or even stock cubes spit the aps turbos out soon after that

call forced inductions...........they will tell you that the turbos on the base kit are simply too small and will not last And they deff know what they are talking about

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...g-out-aps.html

read through that thread if you haven't already.............Even going back with real 20g's is just a bandaid. It is a mismatched setup for our cars

I spent some timing looking for the specs from the aps turbos and didn't have any luck,

The kit you have is the base(not the extreme kit) right?
Old 10-14-2009, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

I think it's the base kit.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:12 PM
10 Second Club

Ok the Lg upgrade is supposed to be comparable to the gt35's as far as flow rates, I don't know what size the aps housing is, but you could call Lg and talk to Louis about the details on it.

I do know that the LG upgrade is not ball bearing, like a GT35r..............thats why we are custom fitting the gt35r's instead of just buying the lg setup

sounds like you could do just like we are doing and get the gt 35r's and have ball bearing turbos
Old 10-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Banned

what do you think you will spend for all the work plus turbos to get this to work?

i could spend 2200 right now and have 65lb/min ball bearing mit 20G turbos.

so if you are going to spend more then 2200. then it is wasting your money.

if you want more info pm me.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Banned

http://www.billetturbochargers.com/M...nd_hiflows.ews

^^^ look at the link. this is what i will be doing. if work ever slows down enough for me to work on my car.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

With the upgraded turbos, What are you going to do about inlet tubes?? Thats my problem right now... Let me know.. My upgraded APS ones wont fit..

Quick Reply: APS LG upgrade vs Garrett T3/T4