Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

580rwhp/690rwtq on PUMP GAS....QMP Turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice numbers Rob!

Is the turbo kit you have on the formula any different than the one you sell? I assume everything is the same including the piping and IC (excluding electronic boost controller and water inj).

Still waiting on my engine to be built! Taking much longer than I thought!
Old 12-10-2003, 01:30 AM
On The Tree

The basic alchy kit tank holds 1/2 gallon. That lasted me about 15 long 4th gear dyno pulls. In a low 11 second Buick, it will last about 6-7 1/4 mile passes. Not too bad considering it's only about $6/gal, and you only use it when you're under heavy boost. MUCH better than driving around on expensive race gas all the time.

Yes RICE ETR, you are right...it's a BMR radiator shroud. Which is exactly what we have always told everyone it was. After all, we are a BMR stocking W/D Dealer. Regarding the boost controller, I thought MM had problems with setting it or something? Didn't he have to send it back to Turbosmart at least once because he couldn't get it to work right? If so, what was wrong with it? I'm just curious, because I installed mine in the parking lot at the PRI Trade Show, and fine tuned it on the way home. In fact, that's what I liked best about it....it's so simple. So far, it has worked flawlessly.

Rodent, the kit on the Formula is exactly the same kit we sell. The boost controller will now be optional ($489), as will the alcohol injection ($399). No difference in piping, IC, or anything else. Come to think of it, we didn't even port the passenger manifold on the Formula, as we do with every other F-Body kit we sell.

For anyone who's curious, I've now logged 84 dyno pulls on this car with the stock engine. And 33 of those were made in one evening on pump gas w/alcohol, and most at 11lbs of boost. I drive the car everyday. Absolutely ZERO issues. So far, I've put a little over 1000 miles on it with the turbo kit installed. Did I mention, HARD MILES?

I drove around all night tonight with the boost set on 13.5lbs. Probably made more than 15-20 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear runs on the street. EGT never got over 1420 degrees, and only 1-2 degrees of KR on the shifts.
This was achieved by bringing the alcohol in at 2lbs of boost, rather than the 4-5lbs I was bringing it in at on the dyno. Seems to have stopped 95% of the detonation or more.

Next step planned, we are going to change out the stock valve springs within the next week or so. Hopefully we will then be able to see the full potential of the stock engine. I plan to run 14-15lbs of boost on pump gas next time we get it on the dyno. Should be interesting....
Old 12-10-2003, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i still have and love the boost controller, it did stop cutting on and i sent it back and turbosmart replaced it for me no problems... b*tch was shipping it to austrailia to do it... we did do a lot of head scratching collectively to get the thing to hold v8 boost more precisely, and while they did update their configuration.. it turned out NOT to be the problem i was having if you want recall.

turbosmart is a great company and have allways been more than sympathetic and more than responsive to my questions/needs. two thumbs up to them. (and i got a hat with mine )
Old 12-10-2003, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

incredible numbers rob!! I love seeing how far these stock motors can be pushed, do you have any estimates as to how far it can actually go, and what might let go first? upgrade to the crane dual springs and let it rip!

btw, are you stil on the stock clutch? I havent gotten to check the website yet for updates but last time i checked i didnt see any info about a clutch upgrade. if its still on the stock clutch, would you be losing any power to it slipping possibly? Im looking forward to seeing your car push 600rwhp, and even 700 if it holds together. good luck!!
Old 12-16-2003, 02:41 AM
On The Tree

Weight Update:

I just posted the info to the website. Basically, after adding the rollbar, turbo kit, and lightweight wheels and tires, the weight went from 3380lbs without driver (1/2 tank gas), up to 3450lbs. Making it approximately 3650 right now with driver.

I just don't see any way of really keeping this a true streetcar and making it a lightweight at the same time. After we change the rearend to a Moser 12-bolt, add a TQ Arm, driveshaft loop, 5pt harnesses, change to a glass bolt-on WS6 hood, and remove the front bumper support, it will still be right at 3700lbs with driver.

Why oh why didn't I start with a Z06???????
Old 12-16-2003, 02:49 AM
9 Second Club

do a tubular k frame and a-arms yet? ditch that AC and heater core and passenger side air bag!! that will drop some weight.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Or put the driver on a diet

I've lost almost 75 pounds since I started planning my project. I figured every pound counts!
Old 12-16-2003, 06:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think almost everybody is going to have alky injection soon. I'm glad to see some before and after numbers on it. It just opens the door to more power if you use pump gas.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great results Rob, Congrats
Old 12-17-2003, 01:56 AM
Staging Lane

Thats awesome Rob I can't wait till my money gets right and i can bring my car up there to you......then drive my supercar home smiling from ear to ear!!
Old 12-17-2003, 03:07 AM
TECH Resident

Hey Rob, Great numbers!

Could I use your alcohol injection setup for fuel enrichment on my nitrous setup?

TIA
Jim
Old 12-19-2003, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Rob,

What kind of intercooler are you using for this new project? What do you think about using a heafty shot of alcohol or methanol instead of using an intercooler if you are going for over 750 RWHP (or 16+ psi) on my below setup?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 580rwhp/690rwtq on PUMP GAS....QMP Turbo...