Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What can I replace my MPGT45 with thats bigger??

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default What can I replace my MPGT45 with thats bigger??

I have this kit I fabbed for the MP GT45 and it is pretty tight. I'd like to know if there is a T4 turbo that would bolt into its place and not be bigger on the outside dimension, but bigger on the inside. Something to put on a 421ci engine and make about 1000-1200HP. Modifying the DP is no big deal, but i'd like to not have to modify or remake the whole hot side before the turbo.

I have maybe 3/8" clearance between the compressor housing and the power steering pulley.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:35 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
I have this kit I fabbed for the MP GT45 and it is pretty tight. I'd like to know if there is a T4 turbo that would bolt into its place and not be bigger on the outside dimension, but bigger on the inside. Something to put on a 421ci engine and make about 1000-1200HP. Modifying the DP is no big deal, but i'd like to not have to modify or remake the whole hot side before the turbo.

I have maybe 3/8" clearance between the compressor housing and the power steering pulley.
GT88 or GT91, T4 based.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
GT88 or GT91, T4 based.
Which come in a T4? Most I find that big are T6 or they dont say. What would be the lower costing ones? Manufacturer? Or would this have to be custom?

*Edit.... I just found your "GT88 & GT91"....thanks.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Which come in a T4? Most I find that big are T6 or they dont say. What would be the lower costing ones? Manufacturer? Or would this have to be custom?

*Edit.... I just found your "GT88 & GT91"....thanks.
Those units can come with T4 housings as well. Price does go up a bit with the T4's.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats the big deal with these big turbos in T4 housings? (asside from the obvious "takes up less space")
Old 11-06-2009, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Soul Crusher
Whats the big deal with these big turbos in T4 housings? (asside from the obvious "takes up less space")

..I think that is the big deal haha. The new PT91 is the pt88 based 91mm with a 4" dp and smaller t4 housing.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not completely syre the MM on your gt45 as Im still learning all this turbo stuff but check out this thread miightymouse just posted...91mm with a t4 housing

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ick-treat.html

Edit: Im dumb and didnt read the post above mine lol....believe its the same thing but check out the thread i posted too see the difference between that and an 88
Old 11-08-2009, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Didn't you just put that together?
Old 11-09-2009, 06:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Didn't you just put that together?
Yes, I drove it around on the street a bit, then took it to the track and broke it. I dont know whats wrong with it yet, I havnt taken it off the trailer yet. But it has an inconsistent rattle/knock. Its still a stock 5.3 shortblock so if its that that finally died I want to go bigger, but still use all the hot side piping and not have to refab too much stuff. Theres a chance it could be tranny related also so I might not even do anything. The 1 pass I did make, 1st gear felt really mushy, but then it went down the track smooth as can be and trapped 128 which is what the setup ran in the Nova without spraying it. My converter I sent out to Coan, and they told me dont even put it back in the car it will never hold up....this was 3 years ago...so who knows. Maybe i'll take it off the trailer this week and evaluate it.
I do have a 421 I was contemplating on using if I do swap....just need a bigger turbo if I do.

Originally Posted by Blknight6989
Not completely syre the MM on your gt45 as Im still learning all this turbo stuff but check out this thread miightymouse just posted...91mm with a t4 housing

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ick-treat.html

Edit: Im dumb and didnt read the post above mine lol....believe its the same thing but check out the thread i posted too see the difference between that and an 88
I did read that, but I didnt see anywhere in there what kind it was or who sells it.

Last edited by pwrtrip75; 11-09-2009 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:13 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yes, I drove it around on the street a bit, then took it to the track and broke it. I dont know whats wrong with it yet, I havnt taken it off the trailer yet. But it has an inconsistent rattle/knock. Its still a stock 5.3 shortblock so if its that that finally died I want to go bigger, but still use all the hot side piping and not have to refab too much stuff. Theres a chance it could be tranny related also so I might not even do anything. The 1 pass I did make, 1st gear felt really mushy, but then it went down the track smooth as can be and trapped 128 which is what the setup ran in the Nova without spraying it. My converter I sent out to Coan, and they told me dont even put it back in the car it will never hold up....this was 3 years ago...so who knows. Maybe i'll take it off the trailer this week and evaluate it.
I do have a 421 I was contemplating on using if I do swap....just need a bigger turbo if I do.

I did read that, but I didnt see anywhere in there what kind it was or who sells it.

Garrett based and we build and sell it.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=pwrtrip75;12482559]Yes, I drove it around on the street a bit, then took it to the track and broke it. I dont know whats wrong with it yet, I havnt taken it off the trailer yet. But it has an inconsistent rattle/knock. Its still a stock 5.3 shortblock so if its that that finally died I want to go bigger, but still use all the hot side piping and not have to refab too much stuff. Theres a chance it could be tranny related also so I might not even do anything. The 1 pass I did make, 1st gear felt really mushy, but then it went down the track smooth as can be and trapped 128 which is what the setup ran in the Nova without spraying it. My converter I sent out to Coan, and they told me dont even put it back in the car it will never hold up....this was 3 years ago...so who knows. Maybe i'll take it off the trailer this week and evaluate it.
I do have a 421 I was contemplating on using if I do swap....just need a bigger turbo if I do.QUOTE]

I knew it had been there for awhile. I have been following your build since you started. Actually why i am going 5.3 in my Camaro to work out bugs and such before i put a bigger motor/turbo in it. Keep us posted.

Side note I am putting my ebay kit together now and am just a few weeks away from startup.

Quick Reply: What can I replace my MPGT45 with thats bigger??