Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

whats really needed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aps kits as far as we know are not being made . If you find one used for 3000 to 4000 or so that would be good deal. Turbos are iffy. Mine made it 6000miles and still working few guys got more like HUGGER Z ,some didn't make it much at all. They might have started using knock off turbos or maybe always did on the f bodies especially.

That said I really like my kit just scared to push the turbos and don't trust them Fortunately any 20g center section can be swapped in pretty easily if they do die.
I got some off ebay in case my aps went and they were like 400 each and supposed to be genuine mits centers. One guy on hear has been running them no problem.

Anyway new sts kit sounds pretty good. The older designs weren't that great lots of things likely you would want to change or modify but if you got one for good price used then might be ok way to go.
new sts are up there in price but as said have been improved in many key areas.

They you can make up your own kit or get ebay kits or get kit off sponsor like kentucky turbo ,etc.

Be warned there is no real cheap with FI. You need new fuel pump and bigger injectors pretty much minimum for fuel you can do bigger lines and adjustable reg and bigger rails later. You need to buy tuning or get it done. You likely will need clutch or trans upgrade,rear end upgrade for sure if you are standard and want to run sticky tires.

You pretty much should stick to qualilty parts for the gates, blow offs and turbos not knock off crap. Stock engines can survive not bad if you are not greedy and know how to tune or get proper tune.

I have personal experience with two sts cars.One lt1 blown up with boost controller mistake,stock engine. One ls1 still running far as I know. Guy kept it very low boost like 5psi for several years ,has tuning and fuel upgrades.Don't push the car,upgraded clutch.not much else for mods.

I own obviously an aps kit. And mine still works.But upgrading turbos to feel more comfortable over the winter.

Single kit is much cheaper and better way to go if you are on a budget. Twin kits remember you need two turbos, two gates, two blow offs..

Single can give you plenty of power on stock engine.

Or you can consider ati procharger used maybe they are pricey new.
Or na heads/cam /headers bolt ons also work well and can be done in stages.

FI is addictive and gets very expensive if you start blowing up stuff,engines,trans,clutch, rear ends.etc.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so maybe the sts would be my best best? for now i wanna run minimum boost until i can get more money for upgrades. for now i just wanna do the turbo kit and fuel upgrades and the tune

Quick Reply: whats really needed?