Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Blow the Bird... New Trick for an Old Dog?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blow the Bird... New Trick for an Old Dog?

Hey all,
Looks like I'm getting jumped for posting over "there", but hey I actually recognize most of the names of the people over "here" anyways so hello again, I'm back from a loooooooooooong vacation away from car crafting that I'm anxious to get back into.

Here's the situation, The Trans Am is on it's last leg and ripe for an overhaul. It's worth about $0 since it has 100K miles so I might as well keep it. I'm likely going to get a Touarge...twaurueg....Touregg....how ever the hell you spell it. I'm getting a VW SUV this spring to take over daily driving duties so I might as well have some fun with the bird. Looking to do some bandaid repairs now I can build on this Fall.

By this time next year I want to get the car to the point were it's a fun weekend street car, I really don't care about clipping an 10 in the Qtr mile as I have the CBR for that now. (well maybe an 11 with my fat *** on it). Anyhow so I'm thinking 450-500 RWHP in an as streetable configuration as humanly possible. If I can get the bird to idle and sound like a bone stock car, GREAT! Im getting old and even the B&B is starting to sound loud to me now.

Anyhow immediatly the car needs a new clutch and transmission. After 100K miles of clutch woes and nitrous the trany is pretty much gone. I _REALLY_ liked the Z06 clutch but I have my doubts that it can handle 450-500, thoughts? Again keep in mind I want the car to feel very docile and stock.

As far as blowers go it's a shame that we don't have a Magnusson yet, that would likely be my ideal for what I want to do, Maybe Vortech instead? The car doesn't have to pass emissions but it would be nice if it did just in case local laws change here in Atlanta.

-Adam
Old 12-10-2003, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welp for a clutch i would try a mcloud/ram combo holds well and good price
or a cartek clutch

if i was going to go supercharger my choice would be with an ATI, seems like it would be easier to work on and they put out good numbers.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
welp for a clutch i would try a mcloud/ram combo holds well and good price
or a cartek clutch

if i was going to go supercharger my choice would be with an ATI, seems like it would be easier to work on and they put out good numbers.
I had a bad experience iwth a McLoud, not sure I could go back to that.... lots of chatter... had an even worse experience with Centerforce...

At any rate, the goal really isn't to make huge numbers so much as make reliable and streetable power. I'm going to try to make the car do everything well (not spectacular) so I'll probably keep the 275/315 combo and get a mild suspension, do the blower, but keep the cats on etc.

So anyhow back on topic I need to get a tranny rebuild and clutch that will take a decent blower. It's been a while but I seam to recall you can get 450 RWHP out of a Vortech pretty easily and reliably yes?

Any recomended tranny builders for a blower app?
Old 12-10-2003, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Should take a look through the threads from the last few weeks. Rob Raymer is making good progress with the single turbo.

The guys that are really flying with FI and N2O are all running TH400s or TH350s now, with the exception of Harlan. He is just hard headed I guess
Old 12-10-2003, 02:41 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

450-500rwhp is very easy from a Vortech but you do have a lot of miles on that 98 block.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

The block is about the only thing thats lasted

Oh and also I forgot to mention I need a new fuel pump as well. I think mine has finally bit the dust. I'm fine with dropping the tank too, so I would preffer to not do an inline if possible. Any good suggestions on that too?
Old 12-10-2003, 03:23 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

340 lph intank with a voltage booster on the power wire.

Quick Reply: Blow the Bird... New Trick for an Old Dog?