Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

I just put a MSD 2-step in

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I just put a MSD 2-step in

and am getting 4.5 psi on the footbrake with it set at 2500 rpm on 245/50/16 Kumho Ecsta ASXs in my driveway.

The install couldn't have been any easier. Nice work MSD.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:58 PM
10 Second Club

Can you put up a video?
Old 11-11-2009, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

X2 for vid!
Old 11-11-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

what pin did you hook it up to?
Old 11-11-2009, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by algws6
what pin did you hook it up to?
I used the gray brake wire on the pedal for power so it's only activated when the footbrake is pressed.

edit: more like a teal color

Last edited by Cobra Commander; 11-11-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cobra Commander
I used the gray brake wire on the pedal for power so it's only activated when the footbrake is pressed.

nice. i tested the prototype unit and it is a great piece.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a model # for this?
Old 11-12-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Veteran

I have mine coming . I wasn't sure how to hook it in but thought brake pedal made sense.
Looked at instructions but still a bit confused.

So do you also need to have a on /off switch? If you have it on brake pedal isn't it going to always be activated when you push in the brake to the 2500 or whever you set it. ..? What happens if you try to use it on street and drive around with it on..so will it cut in decelerating when you start breaking? Will it make you hit the 2500 limiter if you accidentally touch the brake at the track in the middle or end of the run..

I am used to my talon two steps and they are built into software and they will shut off with mph don't even need to hook them to clutch.

I was also confused as was iniitally going to hook it together with my line lock but then realized need to be able to go to high rpm in burnout box. So now was thining to run line lock separate likely not bother with it for launching just burnouts. Use two step of course at the line to build boost. Not into a transbrake right now maybe never.

So please explain if you can exactly how the msd works and how I exactly you hooked it up and the pros and cons of that method.
I bought a micro switch to put in the brake pedal but mabye its not needed???

And pretty sure part number is 8733.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:40 AM
FormerVendor

I have a MAJOR problem with the msd 2 step. If you foot brake into the beams and you are within a certain rpm range of the 2 step, it wont activate when you grab the brake. This has led me to roll into the beams and have to build boost on the brake with the 2 step on. Makes a pro tree rough. I will be moving to something different for next year though. Very easy install, I just with they didn't have it work the way it does. I know they did it for stick cars, but screw them!
Old 11-14-2009, 06:44 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt1camaroman93
I have a MAJOR problem with the msd 2 step. If you foot brake into the beams and you are within a certain rpm range of the 2 step, it wont activate when you grab the brake. This has led me to roll into the beams and have to build boost on the brake with the 2 step on. Makes a pro tree rough. I will be moving to something different for next year though. Very easy install, I just with they didn't have it work the way it does. I know they did it for stick cars, but screw them!
I had the same issue so I made a double relay system that latches and holds it in. I push a button on my console and the two step stays engaged until the trans brake is acuated and then released. It takes care of this issue

See attached diagram. I could make one for you. PM me for a price.
Attached Thumbnails I just put a MSD 2-step in-dsc03428.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2step relay mods.pdf (190.0 KB, 242 views)

Last edited by koolrayz; 04-19-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Mine showed up yesterday and still a bit confused on how to hook it up. Maybe have to try hooking it up a few different ways and see what I like best.
For hooking it to brake switch can I pull feed from higher up like under console or is by the pedal better. What is neatest cleanest way to to it. scotchlock connector?

Still would think might be good to have on/off switch and brake switch both . So I still put them inline together as think just read you don't use both input wires at same time?

I have no transbrake right now.And linelock will be not on same line and dont think will bother with line lock except for burnouts not to hold the car at line.

Also ling and other companies do make mph and rpm add on switches . They were saying could use one of those on their two step or rather one step unless you get 003.

So the msd is actually a one step also technically..this stuff is a bit confusing. As said used to my nice talon software built in two step with mph to shut it off.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:27 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by koolrayz
I had the same issue so I made a double relay system that latches and holds it in. I push a button on my console and the two step stays engaged until the trans brake is acuated and then released. It takes care of this issue

See attached diagram. I could make one for you. PM me for a price.
You might just be my new hero. I was honestly thinking about going to a bs3 just because of this staging issue.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by hydrostream6
do you have a model # for this?
pn 8733
Old 11-14-2009, 06:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I have mine coming . I wasn't sure how to hook it in but thought brake pedal made sense.
Looked at instructions but still a bit confused.

So do you also need to have a on /off switch? If you have it on brake pedal isn't it going to always be activated when you push in the brake to the 2500 or whever you set it. ..? What happens if you try to use it on street and drive around with it on..so will it cut in decelerating when you start breaking? Will it make you hit the 2500 limiter if you accidentally touch the brake at the track in the middle or end of the run..

I am used to my talon two steps and they are built into software and they will shut off with mph don't even need to hook them to clutch.

I was also confused as was iniitally going to hook it together with my line lock but then realized need to be able to go to high rpm in burnout box. So now was thining to run line lock separate likely not bother with it for launching just burnouts. Use two step of course at the line to build boost. Not into a transbrake right now maybe never.

So please explain if you can exactly how the msd works and how I exactly you hooked it up and the pros and cons of that method.
I bought a micro switch to put in the brake pedal but mabye its not needed???

And pretty sure part number is 8733.
I don't road race so I have no need to maintain rpm while braking. When you step off of the throttle it's going to be below your limit point (unless you have a high idle and have it set really low).

Quick Reply: I just put a MSD 2-step in