Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo or blower for "street car"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blk00ss
This is what I'm leaning to now...but if I did go turbo it would be a tubular header kit with a GT88

And the only reason I mentioned going with a D1 is because they are a lot easier to come by used, than an F1. And not to mention cheaper. And I belive there has been a few guys into the 9's with D1's on 400+CI motors making around 800HP.
pfff, i dont turn my head to look at anything under 101mm with your cubic inches you'd be insta-spooling most anything under 88... which may be what you want
Old 11-28-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

well i have both and they both will make that power easy. and ill tell ya, i have a d1sc on my 402 and its just shy of 700 and i dont have ANY traction till bout 75mph. with a good set of drag radials u might be able to hook up from 40-50 up.

but i would say go with a procharger, if it was a auto id say go with a turbo. my camaro is a turbo car and was a m6. it was fun but now it has a th400 and its alot more fun and faster. M6=supercharger, auto=turbo.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Turbo vote here!

Some years back i had and built a 95 Z28 with a vortech supercharger and freaking hated it! I'de had full (15 psi) boost in first and (12psi) in secound and (10psi) in third and (8 psi) in fourth and so on and so forth,,, because of the supercharger being belt driven off of the crank. It just sucked in the higher gears and took to long to build in the higher gears. My APS 02 35th LE twin turbo that i now have,, has max boost off the line through out ever gear and is a freaking blast to drive. Even with a T56 your STILL better off with a turbo verses a supercharger because its driven off of exhaust verses the engine RPm's and will feel like your in a rocket and just keeps you pinned in the seat through the shifts verses a supercharger that just may feel like you have a big block under the hood (IMO)Mine is a auto now ,,but with a T56 you'll, have less turbo lag then with a auto depending how and when you shift? My vote here is turbo all the way unless you were thinking of a magnison type supercharger that has instant boost off the line from what ive read about them and are more efficient then the centrifical type superchargers like the Vortech and prochargers and look bad *** under the hood too LOL plus you can keep or install a nice lobed cam and exhaust where as with a turbo you loose that option. Mine still sounds pretty nice without cats and a nice turbo cam with my GMMG exhaust though
Heres a sound /video clip of it if intrested?
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...amaro%20video/
Old 11-28-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by subarubill96
that "faster feeling" is the extra torque the turbo makes and how it unloads since its not RPM based like the blower
LOL This is what i was trying to say ,,,LOL but with alot more words LOL
Old 11-29-2009, 12:31 AM
10 Second Club

i really like my D1
Old 11-29-2009, 12:46 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't done much street racing since going turbo. I would think that you would drop more boost between gears with the centri because you drop RPM's which are what make boost on those. With a turbo, you can setup a 2 step and do WOT shifts. The 2 step will keep the boost up while preventing the over rev on the power shift. As far as launch goes, you might be better off with the centri on the street. The gradual boost ramp that is directly proportional to throttle would likely make getting the car out of the hole much easier.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Manual cars do have more problem building boost off the line but twop steps like msd or lingenfelter help there. also lingenfelter has two step that can give you antilag features helping to build even more boost in manual off the line. And no lift to shift can help you keep manual cars spooled when shifting. I have all this stuff on my talon manual .

Autos of course can benefit also from a two step but don' need antilag or no lift to shift.
Of course you get some control in the lower gears on centrifugal..its centrifugal barnat old buddy although I also used to call the centrifical for years ..LOL
You can launch at lower rpm depending on what your tires can handle. But you can also play with turbo launch by what rpm you leave at,how long you are on the two step, how you set the antilag and again you can ramp in the turbo with the right controller by rpm, time or gear.

These arguements are really like the blond,brunette,redhead arguments..All good .Nitrous, supers,turbos..all good.
And like their unique ways they make power. Turbos sound cool spooling up ,all the nice blow off noises especially on a manual is great. Some supers sound wicked as well. I have never liked gear rattle that some of them make not sure how much idle gear rattle the ati have these days though.Nothing looks as intimidating as my old roots did on my big block chevy car in the old days, that Mad Max road warrior look . Nitrous purge is cool and intimidating too and nitrous hits hard once you start using the big shots but unfortunately bottles run empty and thanks to fast and furious many places are making nitrous illegal on the street.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:33 AM
12 Second Club

if your going to use a D1 why spend the money on the big stroker engine? the blower will dictate how much power you can can make.

a D1 will run out of steam on a 404ci motor probably around 15lb or so.

Chad
Old 11-29-2009, 01:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cubes with a couple of kits seems the easiest...leave on moter on bring in the kits when you feel you can....
Old 11-29-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm planning on going with a Procharger when I pick up my next Fbody, and I think I want another Auto car this time. I think a 408-427 with atleast a 4K stall being fed by a F1 Procharger would be pretty nasty. Turbos are great, and I may change my mind by then, but for now I wanna try the Procharger. Mine will be a street car that won't be an every day driver and hit the track only a few times just to get it dialed in.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
if your going to use a D1 why spend the money on the big stroker engine? the blower will dictate how much power you can can make.

a D1 will run out of steam on a 404ci motor probably around 15lb or so.

Chad
I already have the stroker. I'm just going to add something to it. And Jerry I've already got the nitrous, it just gets old only getting it filled and bull crap
Old 11-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Definitly turbo. I had a 502whp (93 octane and 20psi) 240sx with a SR20 and T67 on it. Was getting 30mpg cruising around and would trap 130+mph in the 1/4. Lag was the only thing that sucked with that setup. My next project is gonna be a turbo lm7 probably. The natural tq from the v8 matched with a large 76+mm turbo would be a blast to drive. I couldnt imagine lag being an issue. At least nothing like my 67mm SR20 was. lol.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 267 Likes on 101 Posts

If your on the market, my system is listed in the 4-sale section. A D1 on a 403 will get the job done, especially if you have weight reduction. I didn't.

A little SSP (Shameless Self Promotion) nevery hurt anyone.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...l-pistons.html

I already have the stroker. I'm just going to add something to it. And Jerry I've already got the nitrous, it just gets old only getting it filled and bull crap
Old 11-29-2009, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I've thought about the respool after gear changes, but I don't think it would be bad at all with a 404 and 10.8-1CR lol.
running compression that high with boost can be dangerous. Are you going to leave it that high once you switch to forced induction? From what I have seen 'most' (and i realize not all) cars with blowers run about 9.5-1 while the turbos tend to run a 9.0-1. Im not saying it cant be done but its definitely ideal.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by helicoil
If your on the market, my system is listed in the 4-sale section. A D1 on a 403 will get the job done, especially if you have weight reduction. I didn't.

A little SSP (Shameless Self Promotion) nevery hurt anyone.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...l-pistons.html
That's a deal there.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kikass_z28
running compression that high with boost can be dangerous. Are you going to leave it that high once you switch to forced induction? From what I have seen 'most' (and i realize not all) cars with blowers run about 9.5-1 while the turbos tend to run a 9.0-1. Im not saying it cant be done but its definitely ideal.
it is dangerous but with a good FMIC and meth its very doable, just cant get reckless with peak boost. High CR will also make it more dangerous in the event of a boost spike but there are ways to contol those too.
bottom line is with a little common sense it shouldnt be a problem, and yes, it would preferably be a little lower, around 8.5 to 9.0 for a turbo and 9.0 to 9.5 for a centri
Old 11-29-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

No I'm not changing anything when I put whatever I want on there...except the cam if I go turbo, but will probably try the cam thats in it now if I go procharger. I have seen some stock z06's with a blower strapped on make 700+hp...dont those things have 11:1 CR? It can be done, and if it does blow because of that, then so be it and I'll just build it back with lower CR next time around.

And helicoil I have been eyeballing your kit...just wish it was a FMIC
Old 11-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Ok I've been doing a good bit of research, but haven't found a clear answer to this yet. I've got a six speed car that see's a good bit of action not on the track, if you know what I'm sayin lol. And most runs are from a dig. So I need to be able to get the most power possible to the ground. Traction really isn't a huge issue with the setup I have now, 404ci with 100shot. Realistically I'm looking for 700-750hp. But what I want to know is which will be easier to get to the ground? Would a turbo be to violent when it starts spoooling up? From what I've heard you can't really work the throttle with the turbo, to control tire spin. But looks like you could with a procharger? I know this a pretty vague question but maybe someone who has experience with both can chime in for me...thanks

Get a Procharger. If your goal is around 700 RWHP, you will need to upgrade your suspension system plus get the biggest set of tires you can fit on the rear to aide in traction. Having big HP is useless if the power never gets to the ground.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JJD49
Get a Procharger. If your goal is around 700 RWHP, you will need to upgrade your suspension system plus get the biggest set of tires you can fit on the rear to aide in traction. Having big HP is useless if the power never gets to the ground.
I agree. A full suspension setup and the biggest slicks/drag radials you can fit.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

The car is already making around 650 on the 150jets. I have a 9" already 3.5" alumium DS, built transmision, full suspension minus a roll bar and k-member, I run 325/50/15 radials on the street, and track. And 28" slicks sometimes.

I know pretty well what all it takes to make it hold up, ect.

Quick Reply: Turbo or blower for "street car"?