Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

lb/min vs cfm before and after turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 01:10 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the flow will be fine but the efficency will suck, that is the whole point of this post, i think once i get way past 700cfm the temps will go up fast, i could be wrong though, we will see soon enuff.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:23 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Part# 2-275 on page 44 looks like it wouldn't take up much more space, (just deeper) and its good for 1000hp.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:14 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by parish8
so you are saying the cfm's are not constant at all but the lb/min is. i guess that makes sence, a suck thru or a blow thru maf should read the same.

so the only benifit to an intercooler is the reduced IAT. it wont actualy see any more lb's of air?
Got to thinking about this last night. With a turbo, the more you cool the air with an intercooler, the more it shrinks. That slightly lowers the boost # your wastegate sees, so it stays closed longer and packs in more air. So with a turbo, a better cooling intercooler will raise the amount of mass air you see.

I was stuck thinking in terms of a supercharger, where you have a fixed impeller speed, so with a better intercooler theres still not a change in mass air.

Sorry if I confused you. I really cleared things up for myself!

The more I think about this, the more it makes me think, TURBOS ARE BADASS!
Old 12-14-2003, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

CFM is volumetric flow, you have to take that flow, temperature and pressure to get a mass flow. Now if its scfm (then is standard cubic feet per minute) then its also a mass flow. Flow rates in scfm have been corrected to 14.7 psia (sea level pressure) and ~ 70 deg F (some people use 60, 70 or 72 deg depending on application). For a steady state system mass flow stays the same, cfm will not. CFM numbers are useless unless you know at what pressure and temperature the numbers were obtained.

Gary
Old 12-14-2003, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Ya, the pressure will no change based on density of the air.
You need to know the boost your running, intake air temps your expecting, and intercooler effciency if you wanna calulate it all out.
Any other questions I would love to help out with, my turbos are kinda my thing.
Hunter

Quick Reply: lb/min vs cfm before and after turbo