Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Strange loss of power after intercooler install - can't explain

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that line you reference in the pic is your EVAP and it forces the motor to burn off the fumes from the gas tank rather than venting them to the atmosphere. bottom line is you need it.

My suggestion is to get your boost numbers from the manifold and go from there. one thing at a time or you wont know what actually fixed the problem.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

So best place is brake booster pipe? I wouldn't like to mess with brakes if possible... That other line near MAP sensor - where does it go to?
Old 12-06-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
For your boost reference, go to MC Master Carr and get a manifold log.
Didn't quite understand what should I look for... Just some kind of 3-way coupler?
Your intercooler is OK. Guys have gone 8's with that intercooler.
You mean they went 8's with ebay IC?
Old 12-07-2009, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vetal
So best place is brake booster pipe? I wouldn't like to mess with brakes if possible... That other line near MAP sensor - where does it go to?
that is the vaccum line that controls the Blim door that directs witch HVAC vents blow the air. it goes over to just in front of the PCM into a T fitting, one ways goes up front into a vaccum chamber that holds it, the other goes right into the switch in the middle of your AC controls. Im currently useing it for my vaccum/boost guage.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the port on the passenger side that is after the throttle body for my boost reference.

What turbo kit is it? Are you seeing any knock?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:11 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't quite understand what should I look for... Just some kind of 3-way coupler?
You mean they went 8's with ebay IC?
Kp has gone high 8's with that intercooler and cablebandit has gone low 9's with it as well. I am sure a few others have as well.
You will not effect your brakes by installing the manifold log inline with the brakbooster.

Go to mcmaster.com and search for "manifolds" you will see there.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
that is the vaccum line that controls the Blim door that directs witch HVAC vents blow the air. it goes over to just in front of the PCM into a T fitting, one ways goes up front into a vaccum chamber that holds it, the other goes right into the switch in the middle of your AC controls. Im currently useing it for my vaccum/boost guage.
Thank you, I will try to find it!
Old 12-07-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
I use the port on the passenger side that is after the throttle body for my boost reference.

What turbo kit is it? Are you seeing any knock?
I don't have any port there I think... That is LS6 intake if that matters.
This is TC78 with truck manifolds and ebay 4" intercooler. I sometimes get knock at 3600 and after to some 4500, don't know what it is, but it was there even without turbo and even at partial load...
Old 12-07-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK found 2 lines... 1 approx. 8mm is behind TB and connects (I think) both valve covers with the manifold. Is that right?
Second line that carsandwomen wrote about, some 3-4mm line, going from the back of the manifold into some small cylinder (about 3/4" large) near the PCM, then into T-piece and from there one line goes to firewall, and other one somewhere to the front (where?)
Is it OK to connect to that line, before the cylinnder? it's small diameter and in the most easy-to-reach spot, I wonder why everybody don't use it for boost reference?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

I don't have any port there I think... That is LS6 intake if that matters.
This is TC78 with truck manifolds and ebay 4" intercooler. I sometimes get knock at 3600 and after to some 4500, don't know what it is, but it was there even without turbo and even at partial load...
Look in the sticky to see the routing. It shows the port I'm talking about. I also have a ls6 intake
Old 12-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

I would measure your boost at the manifold as well.

Why dont you perform a boost leak test?
Get a spray bottle of soapy water, make a coupler with a schrader valve in it to fit either your turbo or hotpipe where the compressor discharges from.

Disconnect your boost controller.

Pressurize the pipe.

Listen/spray for leaks.

Done.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spoolinsteve
I would measure your boost at the manifold as well.
Sure, no doubt. But I am glad I had it connected to turbo first, otherwise I wouldn't bother to measure pressure drop across IC, now I definetely will
Originally Posted by Spoolinsteve
Why dont you perform a boost leak test?
Get a spray bottle of soapy water, make a coupler with a schrader valve in it to fit either your turbo or hotpipe where the compressor discharges from.

Disconnect your boost controller.

Pressurize the pipe.

Listen/spray for leaks.

Done.
I will, later. I've broken leg this saturday, and at this point I'm 99% certain there is no boost leak, so will leave this for spring, cause it's not that easy to work on the car with one leg in the air
Old 12-08-2009, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK found 2 lines... 1 approx. 8mm is behind TB and connects (I think) both valve covers with the manifold. Is that right?
no, not right. thats part of the PCV system and serves to even out the pressure between the valve covers, those lines eventually go into the TB.

Second line that carsandwomen wrote about, some 3-4mm line, going from the back of the manifold into some small cylinder (about 3/4" large) near the PCM, then into T-piece and from there one line goes to firewall, and other one somewhere to the front (where?)
Is it OK to connect to that line, before the cylinnder? it's small diameter and in the most easy-to-reach spot, I wonder why everybody don't use it for boost reference?
Thats the one! the one that goes to the front goes to a Vaccum canister that holds vaccum so the ac will work even when your accelerating, it also serves to shut off the AC at WOT.. DO NOT HOOK TO THE LINE THAT RUNS TO THE FRONT. hook into the plastic line from the manifold before it hits anything! that will give you accurate manifold pressure.

I will, later. I've broken leg this saturday, it's not that easy to work on the car with one leg in the air
damn that sucks lol
Old 12-08-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

I've broken leg
I guess you learned your lesson on how not to talk to Latvian women.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

no, not right. thats part of the PCV system and serves to even out the pressure between the valve covers, those lines eventually go into the TB.
come on, that's what I wrote - 2 valve covers, and then goes into manifold (on the pass side) before TB... Or isn't it?
Thats the one! the one that goes to the front goes to a Vaccum canister that holds vaccum so the ac will work even when your accelerating, it also serves to shut off the AC at WOT.. DO NOT HOOK TO THE LINE THAT RUNS TO THE FRONT. hook into the plastic line from the manifold before it hits anything! that will give you accurate manifold pressure.
Yes deffo I will make line from manifold go into T and then continue to that tiny cylinder (what is this actually?) and to the boost gauge. I just wonder why don't everybody use such a perfect spot?
BTW, where is this vacuum canister??

Last edited by Vetal; 12-08-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
I guess you learned your lesson on how not to talk to Latvian women.
LOL, you knew
Old 12-09-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

come on, that's what I wrote - 2 valve covers, and then goes into manifold (on the pass side) before TB... Or isn't it?
sorry, i meant thats not the line i was directing you to look for, and yes you are correct, thats where it goes.

Yes deffo I will make line from manifold go into T and then continue to that tiny cylinder (what is this actually?) and to the boost gauge. I just wonder why don't everybody use such a perfect spot?
BTW, where is this vacuum canister??
vac canister is just in front of the core support, and i dunno why nobody uses it, was soooooo easy to use it when i installed mine.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oukey, here's a little update... Connected boost gauge to the small line that goes from somewhere at the back of the intake to the T near the PCM (the line CarsandWomen described). As was expected, boost in the manifold indeed drops, but way too much - from about 7.5 psi to about 5 or maybe even a bit less :o I didn't think that would be such drop at only about 500Hp... So I guess this IC core is crap...
I raised boost a bit until I had about 10psi at peak torque, and it dropped to about 7.5psi at the top end, and I got about 420whp. Still much less than I expected (I thought there should be gain around 18% due to higher charge density)...
Old 12-13-2009, 07:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oukey, here's a little update... Connected boost gauge to the small line that goes from somewhere at the back of the intake to the T near the PCM (the line CarsandWomen described). As was expected, boost in the manifold indeed drops, but way too much - from about 7.5 psi to about 5 or maybe even a bit less :o I didn't think that would be such drop at only about 500Hp... So I guess this IC core is crap...
I raised boost a bit until I had about 10psi at peak torque, and it dropped to about 7.5psi at the top end, and I got about 420whp. Still much less than I expected (I thought there should be gain around 18% due to higher charge density)...
Have you pressure checked everything? Check the boost pressure before the intercooler as well, and see what that is as well. I havn't re-read back thru all your post, but that much pressure drop is a leak somewhere I would think..
Old 12-13-2009, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Kp has gone high 8's with that intercooler and cablebandit has gone low 9's with it as well. I am sure a few others have as well.
You will not effect your brakes by installing the manifold log inline with the brakbooster.

Go to mcmaster.com and search for "manifolds" you will see there.
That is a good site thanks Hunter

Quick Reply: Strange loss of power after intercooler install - can't explain