Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

water to air ---air to air intercoolers

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default water to air ---air to air intercoolers

Just wanted to know how many supercharger guy's are running water to air intercooler and who is running air to air and why? and is it your DD car ?

/

/
Old 12-10-2009, 04:41 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=12

We ran air to air on my Camaro, went to air to water, then went back to the air to air. Draining the water out after every round in the air to water got to be a hassle. Bob
Old 12-10-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

If you are drag or closed-course, high-speed run only, then an A2W makes sense, because you can use ice (or other stuff like dry ice/alcohol) to end up with a below-ambient IAT.

For a DD, A2A is simpler, lighter and effective anytime you need it, if it's properly sized and has good air flow through the core.

Some people here will tell you they have low IAT's all the time with their A2W, but the bottom line is that while an A2W IC is great at absorbing heat, the other end of the equation is an W2A unit (a small radiator or heat exchanger) that is equally BAD at shedding heat. So you end up with a system that accumulates some heat every time you generate boost, which can result in IAT's creeping upwards as the entire water tank warms up.

Jim

Last edited by DeltaT; 12-10-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

with an a/a, you need max air flow for best results, drawback is their size
i have used the a/a with good results, but i made up an a/w deal once, for the street mainly, used a small rad. in front, a watertank, pump, and the i/c
last time i dyno'ed my a/a, inlet temps in the hat (carb'ed) was 100 degs
@ 12 lbs boost(Procharger sheetmetal i/c)
Old 12-11-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of going with twin A to W IC's on two separate circuits and spray Co2 on the heat exchangers @ a pre set boost level, ie. more than 7-8 psi.

Bump, I want to see the few if any street A to W Intercooler setups
Old 12-12-2009, 09:07 AM
12 Second Club

Honestly why even want to run a A-W on the street? It just doesnt make sense. Unless you wanna keep stopping at convient stores in mid summer to keep the water cooled off. With a A-A system once its installed & working you probably wont have to touch it again. Just get in & go weather its summer or winter. I'd say A-W is more of a race application & while it can be used on the street its not the best route to take or the most practical for a daily driver either.

But thats just my opinion.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like A to W on boats. Boats already have a quite reliable water circulation system and a constant supply of cold water. Nothing like seeing a stable 52 degree IAT even on a 100 degree day thanks to a few million gallons of water to draw from.

On the street I get concerned about the added complexity of an A to W. Hoses to leak, pumps to fail, and heat exchangers to leak. K.I.S.S. Still, I have seen a few very well designed A to W setups on the street that did well. Everything was oversized giving it extra capacity. Heat exchanger up front bigger and thicker than the AC condenser, higher flow rad fans, big reservoir in the trunk, giant charge air cooler under the hood. These weren't cheap but then again they weren't exactly in run-of-the-mill vehicles either.

Quick Reply: water to air ---air to air intercoolers