Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

fudge.. car ingesting coolent

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb fudge.. car ingesting coolent

car has been down a couple weeks for another trans. Got everything back together and put the new program in. Started it up and during cranking it i felt it bump a little but then kick over. It came right up on idle but under the turbo flange was water that that had been blown out thru the slight leak there. The car idles good and revs great. However, when I rev it the white steam pours out on decel and it is not oil - smells like anti-freeze.

The engine is newely built 370 iron block, all forged, and has cometic head gaskets. It has head studs and I have not double checked the torque yet. one problem after another. I would hate to think there is a crack somewhere.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How new is the motor? I guess you havn't done a re-torque on the head gaskets by your post. When my gaskets leaked, it usually just pressurized the coolant system, and never blew out white smoke. Hopefully it's just a re-torque or gasket change?
Old 12-13-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
How new is the motor? I guess you havn't done a re-torque on the head gaskets by your post. When my gaskets leaked, it usually just pressurized the coolant system, and never blew out white smoke. Hopefully it's just a re-torque or gasket change?
less then 10 miles, but many restarts.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:22 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tzion_ben_Arthur
less then 10 miles, but many restarts.
I would re-torque the gaskets. You have head studs as well? i seen a few pics of people install head studs with some liquid in the stud wholes and ctually crack the block as well from hydralic pressure.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

I would re-torque the gaskets. You have head studs as well? i seen a few pics of people install head studs with some liquid in the stud wholes and ctually crack the block as well from hydralic pressure.
Cool. I will do a re-torque. The block was dry when it went together on the stand.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:28 PM
8 Second Club

The Cometic's require properly surfaced heads and block to seal correctly. They can be finicky.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by veee8
The Cometic's require properly surfaced heads and block to seal correctly. They can be finicky.
ya... so can my wife.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

have you checked out whats in the radiator?
Old 12-13-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jomomma
have you checked out whats in the radiator?
nice and clean, anti-freeze and water wetter. -10 protection, however it stays in the shop. does not get hot, did have a little pressure, but not much.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Same thing happend to me. My ls1 had just a few mins of run time and started blowing white smoke under throttle and it was coolant. I parked it and just went to mess with it after a year...come to find out 4 of my cylinders had water sitting in the for a year and the heads have massive rust in them. The motor was just rebuilt with 6.0 heads and a ls6 cam.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:32 AM
12 Second Club

damn, that really sucks! ^^^
Old 12-14-2009, 05:09 AM
TECH Regular

Wow. was the gasket?
Old 12-14-2009, 07:34 AM
12 Second Club

Damnit Wingnut. If you need any help messin with it give me a call man. I just knew for sure once you got the fuel issue solved it'd be good to go.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:11 AM
9 Second Club

True,pull the heads and get the water out of the cylinder if it is going to sit for awhile.You don't want to ruin the cylinder walls. Also, for safety sake, I would remove the spark plugs and turn the motor over a few times to get as much water out of the cylinders as possible as well after you do a re-torque.
Don't want to bend anything.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Damnit Wingnut. If you need any help messin with it give me a call man. I just knew for sure once you got the fuel issue solved it'd be good to go.
Thanks Mike. I am going to start on it this week. The car was doing well after the fuel issue was worked, so well I needed a new trans.

True,pull the heads and get the water out of the cylinder if it is going to sit for awhile.You don't want to ruin the cylinder walls. Also, for safety sake, I would remove the spark plugs and turn the motor over a few times to get as much water out of the cylinders as possible as well after you do a re-torque.
Don't want to bend anything.
I am not going to let it set. Luckly the turbo headers will come out the top very easy. I am going to pop a valve cover and test one of the nuts. If I remember correctly the ARP studs are supposed to be torqued to 85 for the large ones and 25 ea for the small ones. I will drop by my fathers house and pick up my Snap-On Torque Wrench. I know it is better then 3% accurate if I remember right.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:54 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tzion_ben_Arthur
Thanks Mike. I am going to start on it this week. The car was doing well after the fuel issue was worked, so well I needed a new trans.

I am not going to let it set. Luckly the turbo headers will come out the top very easy. I am going to pop a valve cover and test one of the nuts. If I remember correctly the ARP studs are supposed to be torqued to 85 for the large ones and 25 ea for the small ones. I will drop by my fathers house and pick up my Snap-On Torque Wrench. I know it is better then 3% accurate if I remember right.
Actually I think the studs are to be torqued to 73ft. lbs. BUT being FI, on my turbo setups, I torqued mine to 90 ft. lbs
Old 12-14-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

90 is good for me.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

Default update

A friend took my torque wrench and has not brought it back. My dad has my snapon one and when I called for it I asked him if he had backed it off each time. NO! he has had it at 80lb for the last two years. So I am going to buy a new one with a fresh calibration.

Tonight I took off the dr turbo header and valve cover. I removed the pplugs and all looked ok. The runners had some condensation running thru them, but did not look like very much. I did not get the pass side off yet. When I cranked the car with the dr side plugs out no coolent came out. I will pull the pass side tomorrow and then the intake.

P.S. I must add that there are no leaks visible at all. I find it hard to believe that a gasket that is so good at sealing combustion can have a leak there. I have had some cometics in the past that have seeped on the floor of the garage with no other issues. As a matter of fact this is the first set I have had that has not leaked. I hope there is not a crack.... not even 10 miles.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:22 PM
9 Second Club

When my gaskets leaked , they never showed evidence outside the block, except for the overflow in the catch can. Honestly I have never heard of other peoples setups leaking water into the motor, and blowing smoke UNLESS it was a crack? Lets hope for the best.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

When my gaskets leaked , they never showed evidence outside the block, except for the overflow in the catch can. Honestly I have never heard of other peoples setups leaking water into the motor, and blowing smoke UNLESS it was a crack? Lets hope for the best.
I forgot to mention that my oil perfectly clean with no water in it at all. I guess this is good?