Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I do?

Hey guys,

I am pretty much a newb when it comes to forced induction . I am thinking about doing a setup with either a d1-sc or a Mp-t70. I am just not sure what I should go with. What are the pros and cons to these? Is one going to be cheaper to do? I would be happy with making around 500hp when Im all done. I would be doing the setup on my '95 Firehawk. It only has 62,000mi on it, so I dont really see a problem with boosting it. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Did you search man?? Theres like 17 dozen threads on pros and cons of super and turbo. Supers are generally more expensive because they are a single unit and usually cost 4k+. An MP70 is 500$. The difference between cost of super vs turbo, is you cant be afraid to cut **** on your car and move things around. Turbos are alot more work than a super. However, due to the variability of parts a turbo setup can be done cheaper than a super. With either of them youre going to need to consider other parts outside of the actual FI setups; oil pump, timing chain, pushrods, valve springs, tuning, etc.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Yeah I did some looking, but I didnt quite find the information that I was looking for. There were pros and cons, but not specific to those setups. I know that I am going to need to get a better fuel system, most likely a Walbro in take fuel pump, bigger injectors, etc. I will try checking some more threads..thanks for the insight.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

I went turbo because I have 7 months of winter to work on it. If I had gone super I wouldve been done in like 2 weeks lol.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Yeah thats true. I never really thought of it that way. My car is stored right now so whether it takes 2 weeks or the rest of winter it doesnt really matter to me.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the d1c kit will be allot easier to install and work on. if you are going to go turbo you will be doing 10x the work, and from my experience dumping a whole lot of money. but at the end it pays off for me.

but if you want to reach the 500whp mark you will nee more the just the supercharger kit.

you willl need a very goo tune

stronger springs, pushrods, timing chain.

and the stock motor will not live for very long at the 500whp mark, it will live but that ringland will go sooner or later. that is why you will need a VERY good tune.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Alright, thats pretty much the answer I was looking for. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:04 AM
10 Second Club

Don't forget the adjustabilty of the turbo. With a supercharger if you want 10psi..your'e stuck at 10psi until you change the pulley. With a turbo if you want x mount of psi you turn a ****(or press a button)....or by using something like the Eboost2 you can do boost by gear for traction purposes..much more street friendly in my opinion.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:58 PM
Teching In

I didnt even really think about that aspect. I am planning on going with the turbo setup. Plan on buying parts here in the next month or 2. Even though a turbo is going to be quite a bit more work I think I will be more satified with it.

Quick Reply: What should I do?